i30 Owners Club

wiring cables for an amplifier to the original radio

Nick89 · 7 · 2575

Offline Nick89

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium
      Rillaar
Can you wire the cables for an amplifier to the original radio of an i30 from 2008?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm no electronics or audio expert, however, the outputs from the audio unit are designed to feed speakers, so the output power would be way too high for an amplifier input. You would need a circuit to reduce the levels to acceptable levels. The connecting plugs are moulded specifically for the audio unit, there aren't any Line Out or RCA out plugs at the rear of the unit, so you would have to break into existing wiring and modify from there.

I would be more inclined to seek a later model unit with the required outputs already fitted, then you simply hook up to your amp.

I am quite happy with the present sound, so it's entirely up to you, of course. :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Nick89

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium
      Rillaar
Thanks for you quick answer and the information, I gonna talk it over with my buddy because I'm not an expert in this topic. But we had no Idea if it was possible. Thanks again

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If you could pick up a radio from an SR you might have more luck as I'm pretty sure they had a separate amp...   :undecided:

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
You are able to add an amp into the stock system if you wanted to. But the stock speakers are pretty hopeless. I have added a pioneer prs-d800 amp with two morel tempo components in the front door and a jl audio a1400 amp with 12" jl ported subwoofer in my boot and am currently running this all off my stock head unit. So there is no need to change it if you don't want to. Do note than a dedicated new head unit will increase clarity though and allow for greater equalisation etc

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline DCSY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney NSW
My suggestions for steps to undergo.
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage caused to your persons or vehicle
Get new speakers first. 6.5 inch components SHOULD fit with spacers.
If you still don't like the sound, and you would like to put an amp in, Get a 4 gauge amp wiring (or larger if you want). Wire it into the cabin through the front left footwell, there is a hole into the outer chassis through a plug, (which when removed, makes snaking the cable through a dream. Trust me, i found out the hard way). You will also need a High to low level converter. This will take your speaker output from the headunit, turn it into something acceptable for your amp. Connect Power, Ground and a switched 12v source to the amp, as well as your signal inputs and your speaker outputs.

Enjoy your new system with a stock head unit.
  • I30, 2.0 petrol, cw

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal