Adjusting left/right headlight levels

Leightond · 12 · 13660

Offline Leightond

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Peak Hill
Hi
A new member here.
I have just fitted HID globes (purchased on EBay) to both the low and high beam headlights and am having difficulty in adjusting them. I have just come in from a drive and found that on my model (Build date Feb 2009) that if I change the adjuster that is beside the high beam assembly (Highlighted in Green in the above photo <link>) then this actually moves both the high and low beams together. I was not able to get my phillips head screw driver to function on the other adjuster (highlighted in red).
My problem is the there is a difference between the way the left and right haedlights have been setup with the right side high beam being much lower than the left side. Will try to see what I can do tomorrow in the daylight.
By the way the HID globes in the low beam and AWSOME a great improvement over the original globes.
Link to the place I found them
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-KIT-H1-H3-H7-H9-H11-9005-9006-HB3-HB4-XENON-LIGHTS-/120489692979?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c0dbecf33
When I get the high beam adjusted I am hopefull they too will be great.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Leighton.. Hope you get it sorted tommorrow .. (so did you use a kit or just globes) I thought it was a lot more complicated than that to upgrade to HID.. :eek:

Edit: sorry just clicked the link (I see it is a kit) :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Can't help you with the tech side of the adjustment, but would be good to see some pics of the beams and the throw of the light from the HID kit

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
On my car the whole at the top that is suppose to lead down to the outer adjuster does not lign up with the adjuster, IIRc this was due to the electronic levelller motor, it might have been a difference in the black lights. To get to it is a real struggle.

Offline Freddo

• 1st Gear
My headlights are aiming very low. I just need to raise the drivers side a little. More info would be great.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Freddo (you could always "choc" it up a bit)  :lol:

Offline Leightond

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Peak Hill
Hi again been a few days since I was on the forum and since then I have made a few mods to the headlight setup on my I30.
As stated above I have fitted HID globes and ballast units to both the high and low beam headlight, and now have some information regarding this conversion.
Firstly there was considerable work required to get them fitted correctly and the adjustments to suit my requirements. Firstly as with many cars these days the high beam is adjusted so it will limit the direction of the drivers side light so it does not shine towards the oncoming traffic on a divided road. This is fine for many situations HOWEVER when driving on country road in OZ you get the roo’s coming at you from both sides of the road so you need to see well ahead on the right side as well. Many modern cars do not have separate adjustment of the high and low beams which leads to the situation if the high beam is adjusted to shine down the right side of the road the low beam is way to high. To overcome this problem I removed the right side headlight assembly and removed the screws that hold the high beam reflector and inserted a 1mm washer into the two lower screws to raise the reflector relative to the low beam. See photos attached.
I also made up two separate brackets that hold the two ballast units also photos attached. There is a problem when fitting the HID H1 globe into the High beam reflector as it is larger than the original globe. It was necessary to use a round file and carefully provide a round side to the plastic section of the reflector that the globe fit through. It was also necessary to cut the wires going to the original H1 globe and attached female spade connectors so power can be supplied to the ballast unit. See photo attached I will attempt to get some photos of the road at night with both low and high beam shortly. The only negative with fitting the HID globes to the high beam I have discovered is that there is a few seconds warm-up time before they get fully energised so you do not get an instant lighting of the road. As the low beam is always on you never have a problem of driving without lights.
If further details are required please drop me a line and I can go into more details?
Leighton

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Leighton.. great photo post.. appreciate your efforts :mrgreen:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
good write up man!

i found with the HID's didnt last long in my maxima's high beams, the constant on/off killed them in a few months! BUT if your not flicking them on and off every 10 minutes (being in the country are you???) then they might last a lot longer... the low beams have lasted 2 years in the maxima if thats any indication of reliability!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the tsb's that babis posted up has headlight and foglight adjustment in one of them.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I found that my car's headlights were very ordinary, even after fitting upgraded Philips H1 and H7 globes.

I put a streak of white paint on the top knurled pointer of each adjustment nut (to act as a reference point) and parked my car in front of a garage door. I adjusted one of the nuts to see whether it needed to be rotated clockwise or anti-clockwise to raise the beam. Then I raised the aim by turning both the left and right nut one complete turn. I roadtested them and in subsequent further adjustments have come to the point where I am really happy with my i30's headlights.

In my car this was 2 complete turns (720 degrees) of each said nut. At this point the distance of projected useful light has increased noticeably and I don't get flashed by oncoming drivers and haven't seen anyone that is driving ahead of me dipping their rear-view mirror.

What made a big difference to their effectiveness! You have to wonder why Hyundai didn't do this properly at the factory.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is interesting Paolo!

It might explain why we were always disappointed with the standard setup in my previous hatch and the wife's new CW is no better BUT..

I did have a short drive in a rental i30 hatch a m8 was driving and they seemed brighter (maybe they were better adjusted)  :idea:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal