i30 Owners Club

Low beam headlight suggestions?

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hey guys

Blown my second bulb in the life of my i30, 91,000km. I can't remember when the 1st went or if it's the same side (drivers in this case)

Whilst I had the first one replaced by Hyundai with a stock replacement, I'm thinking about an upgrade.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what to get from an Australian store? I don't want to purchase online, too many bad experiences, I don't mind paying a little more to just go into Super Cheap Auto etc.

ATM I'm only interested in low beam.

Don't know how you feel about conspiracy theories but they were working fine on Thursday night, had to take the car in for an unrelated warranty job Friday morning and then Friday night it wasn't working............

Cheers.

Daniel

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I would only use either an Osram or Philips bulb, rather than the cheap stuff at Super Cheap.

I have been impressed with the Nightbreaker  http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=112 or X-treme Vision http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=192 bulb look for a claim of 80 to 100% more light. They do have  a shorter life than the standard bulb, but give out more light. Unfortunately the lens design isn't that good on an i30.

I  have found www.powerbulbs.com excellent. They are the biggest customer for Osram & Philips in the UK. (I checked that claim with a mate who is an executive at one of those 2 companies in Australia).

I had some problems with bulbs blowing, caused by a fault that Hyundai are fixing at the moment, and Powerbulbs honoured their 12 month guarantee when one bulb blew.

Delivery takes 2-3 weeks and payment is done via Paypal and so is secure. I reckon I saved 25% on local price and my bulbs were going to be a special order at my local AutoOne anyway.

I also have purchased some LED parking light bulbs in Philips brand from them. They are much brighter and I have been using them as daytime running lights rather than using the headlights. http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=179

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The cheaper Calibre brand I think it is at Supercheap actually get a reasonable rating (I read it somewhere recently)

In view of the fact that the i30 Diesel (in particular) has a predisposition to blow globes and the relative expense of the high output Osrams and Philips globes & their reduced lifespan.. (wow that was a mouthful) I would be tempted to try the cheapies Daniel.. :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Don't know how you feel about conspiracy theories but they were working fine on Thursday night, had to take the car in for an unrelated warranty job Friday morning and then Friday night it wasn't working............

I bet they did something while in the garage.

Was the job it was in for electrical related?

or do you know if they disconnected the battery?

If so, then when they reconnected etc there has been a power surge.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
I also have purchased some LED parking light bulbs in Philips brand from them. They are much brighter and I have been using them as daytime running lights rather than using the headlights.

Like that idea, we run Elle B with the headlights on at all times, living and driving where we do, we value the safety factor. Thus far we have done 1 bulb during the Easter trip @~34K...

So the idea of going to a LED "parker"  to decrease the constant load on the main beams is worth a look.....Good Tip Druggist   :goodjob:

Will check out the powerbulbs site....do you know off hand the item code for what you ordered?
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK

One of mine also stopped working after an unrelated warranty job  :eek:

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

Elle B you can follow the link in the previous post.

The LED parking light is a Philips Vision LED W5W T10 4000K.

Hyundai took my car for the day last Monday after much jumping up and down about the 5 headlights I have blown in 15000km. They wouldn't give me anything in writing but said they found a wire that was causing a voltage drop behind the instrument cluster. Apparently it caused a voltage drop on startup and the alternator then increased the voltage to compensate blowing the headlight. I have asked for a proper description of the problem to post but haven't received it yet.

Hyundai Australia lead my reluctant dealer through the steps.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very odd Druggist... thanks for the update...(probably never find out the full story  :rolleyes:)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

Finally received description of fix to problem with headlights that keep blowing.

Hyundai suggested to my dealer:
"You need to make sure that the globes fitted are genuine Hyundai, part number 18647 55007L. These are rated at 960 hours.
In regards to the headlight earths, you will need to check the resistance of each headlight earth circuit, making sure it is not excessively high.
What is the alternator charging output?
Check the wiring for the regulator back to the BCM, ensuring you have no poor connections at the plugs or any high resistance. This can cause the alternator to overcharge intermittently."

So far so good.  :sweating:

Apparently genuine Hyundai bulbs, made by Philips have 960 hour rating, rather than 480 hours of brighter bulbs.

I am happy to replace brighter bulbs twice as often, but want them to last 480 hours not 48 hours!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal