i30 Owners Club

Shell Diesel? has it changed

Lakes · 15 · 4714

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi All well i had to go dow the coast to my cousins new years day. he has a farm in hills near Ulladulla. it was short notice trip & i just went into a new Shell sevo they had brand new style bowsers. i've only used shell a few times in the past. nothing against it. it throthed up like stock BP & was normaly slow to fill right up. this new pump appered to use a hi flow size i was surprised how fast it filled my i30 to the very top i double & tripple checked it was indeed right to top of fuel kneck. did not seem to throth as much? but the pump just had Diesel written on it. has Shell changed there fuel? the car ran well on it and i just drove normal including some dirt road i turned off trip pc when i filled up fastest speed was 110kph was double points so driving on speed limits. on my return home trip pc reads 4.7 100k seems good for driving conditions lot of big hills too anyone know if Shell made any changes?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Haven't been into shell for a while John, use Woollies vouchers in Caltex or E10 from United mostly .. Sounds like great economy though  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Dazz, surprised me too, as was expecting about 5.0l 100k in those conditions. don't think it would be the fuel but i did read a year or so back Shell were working on new diesel fuel with some type of gas mixture for mining & heavy transport.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
John, I wonder if a "brim" refill now would back up the PC readings ?

We used BP on the trip up to Ballina and have just refilled with Vortex for the return trip.

Got 982 Km for 56.5 lts on the trip up and running around for the last week or so.. ..in the CW auto..

Interesting to see what others think or know re Shell...

Cheers
  Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

We used BP on the trip up to Ballina and have just refilled with Vortex for the return trip.

Got 982 Km for 56.5 lts on the trip up and running around for the last week or so.. ..in the CW auto..

Cheers
  Elle B

Elle i will have to check my distance, but when i filled up, it was the night before i left & i filled 20k before home , but turned off trip to 00 so will check. but the fuel gauge is still reading near the full mark so probaby never know actual L/100k as will be driving in sydney traffic for the next say week.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Haven't been into shell for a while John, use Woollies vouchers in Caltex or E10 from United mostly .. Sounds like great economy though  :goodjob:

Me 2, on both counts.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Cheers
  Elle B
ElleB, well it's a week since i got back to Syd & still driving on same tank with climate control on all the time driving in syd traffic still plenty of fuel, a normal fill up to the brim lasts me over 1,000 no matter & the trip pc now reads 5.0L/100k, i've been driving it brisk useing the torque. can't say the sell fuel has made any difference, just noticed it did not seem to throth as much as BP or as much as i remember Shell diesel throthing . when i fill it up i'll brim it & check.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Thanks John... all fuel for the melting pot !!!    :snigger:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
no problem, just for the record this is a 6 speed manual FD ( friendly Diesel? ) u2 motor & has 34,000k & i realy think it's performing great feels free d up. on Mobil 1 0w 40w ( i'm not realy a mobil one fan but it's working )
cheers

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
ElleB , i had to fill up friday.... boy was that an unexpected experience  :eek: :).  well i got to 1,100k on that tank the first 550 to 600k on the trip down to visit cousin ( some of the trip on dirt roads ) then the rest was in Sydney traffic. i had been out to see a sick friend friday & it was very hot the gauge was getting low but the CRDi has spoilt me over the years & i've never once ran out ( trusting two Hy CRDi's ) it was around 3pm fri & i was on Wallgrove Road took the M4 toward Sydney and soon after getting on the motorway traffic came to a standstill three lanes all stopped temps around 39c aircon on full, i think it took me over an hour or more just to get to church street exit and soon after i first hit the traffic the fuel light came on, motor was idling & powering the aircon for over an hour the L/100 went up to 5.4L/100k average over 1,100k ( prob useing a lot more than that idling for that length of time powering aircon full too ). anyway i had switched the trip PC to read distance to empty as the fuel light came on. with Betsy my old 5 speed CRDi poverty pack that had no trip PC the distance to emtey would just read down, but with this one that has trip pc it gets to a point about 70k? 60k? to emptey then you get ---/ flashing. well there i was stuck in limbo following a big semi as knew they can see a long way ahead and can read traffic movement a lot better so i just follow them. but we werre not moving much and were in middle lane & the distance to empty flashing ---/ was a bit unwelcome :disapp: :) but i had to start thinking were can i get diesel quick? were will i exit? as the M4 at that end has no servo's at all. so i think best bet is the Rosehill exit as there is a BP not far down that exit. i made it and a lot of cars lined up all bowsers taken but the diesel was to the right & they have a few pumps all had trucks on them so more idling with air on waiting, then i got to a high flow pump ( lucky the FD CRDi fits the high flow in ) i put it in pulled trigger full, these things fill lightning quick!!! I made sure the nozzel was all the way in first klick was 49L i pulled it out got it up a bit to next klick 50L so from experience i would have got 59 to 60L in there & would be a new record for me, never been that low b4, so work it out 1,100 60L i have not worried but the trip PC showing 5.4L /100K average, BUT in those conditions the trip PC would have a lot of catching up to do!
i'm happy as my Hy never lets me down!
 :happydance:
ps... found out a Semi & three cars had a pile up one caught fire & the M4 was blocked north bound. saw the Accident ahead sign when it was too late to exit.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gotta love these diesels.  :D

Would be even better with stop start technology.. great in those situations  :happydance:

You had me going there for a while John  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Gotta love these diesels.  :D

Would be even better with stop start technology.. great in those situations  :happydance:

You had me going there for a while John  :sweating:

Dazz i was just about to agree with what you said about the stop start tech, being great in those conditions. but then i thought to myself do you want airconditioning on full when it's 39c and sunny? also humid, yes i do so keep on powering my aircon my trusty little CRDi!
cheers

ouri30
I would be interested to know if the aircon is integrated into the stop start technology - in other words having it on and the settings being apart from the outside ambient temp would override it.

Perhaps one of our Euro friends can elaborate.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I would be interested to know if the aircon is integrated into the stop start technology - in other words having it on and the settings being apart from the outside ambient temp would override it.

AlanHo mentions this here:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=14198

The ISG feature will not stop the engine under certain conditions - including - when the aircon or climate control is at a high setting, the defroster is on or the battery is in a low state of charge. The ISG feature can be deactivated via a button on the dashboard.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal