i30 Owners Club

K&N filter replacement *for now*

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I've also installed a K&N filter. I wanna have the better one, pod filter, but the insurance company doesn't let me, otherwise I've got to pay more. So for now this is ok :)

Sound is a little different but you probably wouldn't hear it if I made a video  :wink:

Test results:
Well, there is hardly no diffrence at low rpms. But after 4.000 rpm, I do get the feeling that the car runs smoother. So I'm pleased wth it :)
Probably adds 0 to 2hp to the car.

Just replace the old one with the K&N one, simple as that

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
70€ => 94.0134 USD => 61.7132 GBP => 133.104 AUD

:wink:

(Test relults are posted)

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

70€ => 94.0134 USD => 61.7132 GBP => 133.104 AUD

What day of the week was that conversion done? I'll bet it's like $10 AUD off by tomorrow, and then $10 AUD off THAT the day after :S But thanks for the rough estimate :D

Offline blawler

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
They run between 70 and 130 here in australia from memory.

Revolution Racegear at Auburn sell them (at least thats where i bought them for all my previous cars)

The Performance boost is probally negligable. I notice a little boost on some cars (Suzuki Vitara) and a minimal upgrade for my subaru (But then again that had a few more modifications) They do all sorts of cars. I have one of their pod cold air systems in both my rotaries..

The best part about this filter, is that it never needs replacing, unlike those paper ones. The air moves through it better. And it just needs a clean every now and then :-D

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
Wasted money ... You don't need performance filter ... Now you have to wash&clean it yourself instead of replacing standard filter from time to time ...

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
Technically you don't need any mod you make to a car.
Try to live without a car ?!

If you change intake and/or exhaust and/or upgrade your engine s/w then, maybe, you need performance filter.
In any other case ... it/s wasted money ...

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I got an FRAM Air Hog air (aka pod filter) filter for my birthday about a year ago. Had it on my Getz, and MY GOODNESS did it roar. I highly suggest getting a pod filter if you want a deep noise from the engine side.

It cost my friends about AUD$80-100. Will be transferring it to my car ASAP!

BTW, I don't think pod filters void warranties. Just make sure if you do have an accident or need to take it to a dealership for service TAKE IT OFF! I had an accident in my Getz, and made sure I took it off, just in case!

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I got an FRAM Air Hog air (aka pod filter) filter for my birthday about a year ago. Had it on my Getz, and MY GOODNESS did it roar. I highly suggest getting a pod filter if you want a deep noise from the engine side.

It cost my friends about AUD$80-100. Will be transferring it to my car ASAP!

BTW, I don't think pod filters void warranties. Just make sure if you do have an accident or need to take it to a dealership for service TAKE IT OFF! I had an accident in my Getz, and made sure I took it off, just in case!
Hmmm, I'll get one but not now =) this is just a temporarly one. I need to find dealers first ;)

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I also have some questions. An engine needs air to work, cool air to work better.

The standard filter gets its air from the front via a big tube. But the pod filter gets its air from the surroundings in the engine compartment.

So my question is: Does the pod filter get enough air, cold air, to let the engine work properly?

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Basically, the air filter will be "sucking in" a lot of air from the engine bay, although depending on the positioning of the air box intake, quite a bit of air will still come through the original piping and into the filter. If worse comes to worse, and you really want to keep your pod filter, you can always modify your airbox piping to have it run directly into the pod filter itself, depending on size again.... On hot days, say above 35C, I'd recommend keeping an eye on your temperature gauge. But yes, on hot days, the engine reacted poorly to the pod filter, increasing in poor performance. On cold nights and during winter, induction sounds fantastic.

It's easy to remove and replace filters as you wish, it is a tad annoying to change every week or so, but it's your call.

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
So it would be beter if the pod is closer to the pipe wich is connected to the front?

The air comes from the holes in the front. The air goes trough a pipe into a box. This is where the standard filter is placed. The air go trough the filter and to the engine via the pipe above.

This is inside the box.

With the pod filter. This is taken from K&N. I think it would be beter if the pod is deeper into the box. Don't you think?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well, the K&N is a good filter, and you can clean and reuse, so will last probably the life of the car. if you want to see if a less restrictive air flow could help performance. simple test would be to remove the stock eliment close top of filter box and drive the car, this would be as good as it could possibly get as no restriction at all. only reason you need a filter at all is to stop dirt and bugs going through your motor. the only way i could think of to test if one filter fis less restrictive than another, would be to fit an air vacume gauge between the filter and the motor. if filter was more restrictive it would show up in higher vacume reading.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The pod filter will always be less restrictive than the standard paper filter. In my Getz, the standard filter was tiny. The pod filter has a much larger surface area, and therefore allows more air intake. Although, there will be much more from the engine bay than the standard filter.

Offline AJ77

• 2nd Gear
Hey guys, I've managed to get a K&N cone filter inside the stock air box, and I managed to have the lid locked on :D Its like nuthin happened   :lol:

Thank god for big air boxes

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal