Diesel drivers need to do 100k to benefit fuel efficiency

eye30 · 18 · 5224

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The distance diesel drivers must cover to recoup the higher cost of their vehicle through greater fuel efficiency has reached 98,684 miles, according to the AA.

Read more: 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-2345194/Petrol-prices-edge-month-says-AA.html#ixzz2WrMbXv6u 
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Cripes I have just passed 18.000.  It appears that I may have made to correct decisions for once  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Cripes I have just passed 18.000.  It appears that I may have made to correct decisions for once  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
:goodjob:
Due to my low,low mileage that's why I bought a petrol rather than another diesel.

Also, the DPF thingy came into consideration.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
SO, in theory, my 106,000 miles are now making me money! Woohoo!

More driving coming right up :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I wonder if the AA took the generally higher resale value of diesel cars into account?

From what I have seen they fetch back up to 50% of the extra you pay for them at resale time.

Due to Trish's low annual mileage, I still think we did the right thing getting her the petrol version though.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I don't care for the detail much. I've gone to Diesel and I'm loving it. It's a personal preference for the elegance and simplicity of the design, not to mention the torque and economy. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The distance diesel drivers must cover to recoup the higher cost of their vehicle through greater fuel efficiency has reached 98,684 miles, according to the AA.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-2345194/Petrol-prices-edge-month-says-AA.html#ixzz2WrMbXv6u

Blah blah blah.....

I don't see it that way because once I'd outlaid the extra cash for the diesel, that was it....
My fuel costs on a weekly basis are quite a bit lower than a petrol engine and that's what counts for me.
If It comes to selling down the track, like Daz said, I'll most likely recoup a fair amount of the initial extra outlay anyhow....

Can those that chose an auto over a manual gearbox say the same?  :whistler:

Pip
And the distance needed to travel to recoup the joy of driving a diesel? 1Km. :happydance: Every Km after that is just a bonus.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Pip
And the distance needed to travel to recoup the joy of driving a diesel? 1Km.

Superb statement :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Simplistic headline grabbing. I don't know what the price of petrol is like over there, but it would be difficult to workout the payback from one day where petrol is 10c cheaper than diesel to the next where it is 2c more expensive.

Apart from the legendary diesel engine, some of the advantages of the diesel engine include,

Better (and perhaps quicker) resale,
Stable price of diesel (when your doing plenty of k's you can't play the price cycle).
Saving the environment (less emissions)

If you have a DPF this is the obvious downside. As is the service costs (again this can be overcome).

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes I don't know how they worked that milage out,but the extra 2 grand I paid for my Diesels and with the price differences in fuels on averages,I have a friend who has the 2 ltr petrol, he uses three more litres of fuel compared to me doing the same 100k trip,same speeds,so I have worked it out we would only have to do 67,000 K's to be ahead,well I am now ahead with both cars to my calculations.
I reckon this mobs figures are purely fiction.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
What everyone said. No one buys a V8 to save money, its about the driving experience. Same deal for buying the diesel over the petrol engine although as well as the extra oomph you get increased mileage as well. Who buys any car with a view to roi anyway?
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Cost of ownership was one of the key factors for me, but I'm cheap in general.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

Can those that chose an auto over a manual gearbox say the same?
Exactly.

To me it's about the "driving experience". The frugal fuel economy is a bonus, as is the higher resale value.

6 speed manual diesel turbo, hard to beat in my view.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline WayneD

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I did the sums when I was looking to buy and worked out that I would break even at 80,000kms. That's only about 2-3 years worth of driving for me so it was a no brainer. Costs were averaged out at diesel being 10c/L dearer than petrol from memory. But I did work it out on what they said the fuel consumption would be and it is generally a bit higher than stated.
  • 2012 i30 CRDi The Yakster Mobile

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I did the sums when I was looking to buy and worked out that I would break even at 80,000kms. That's only about 2-3 years worth of driving for me so it was a no brainer. Costs were averaged out at diesel being 10c/L dearer than petrol from memory. But I did work it out on what they said the fuel consumption would be and it is generally a bit higher than stated.

Wayne like you I worked it out on book figures and used the same 10c  I got a similar figure, but having a friend who bought a 2 ltr petrol a month or so before we got our first diesel,he is a pretty frugal driver and after some months he was not happy with the fuel economy of his car after Hy had stated 6.2 per 100, he was getting more like 7.5 to 8, so we both did an identical trip,other then parking in a different parking bay when we got to Perth(but we where side by side) I used those figures that's how I brought the figure down to 67,000 K's.

I have found,  over time that I have only been averaging 5.4 L/100 on my regular runs from Home to Perth,averaging between 100/110 kph, but once I hit the metro area and start running around down there,where I am being very careful that average drops to well below 4 L/100, at travelling no more than 80 Kph,probably an average of 65kph,so as long as your doing the miles around town the diesel would be a Pearla,in my experience
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal