i30 Owners Club

i30cw Auto Fuel Economy expectations

inmn · 28 · 9893

Offline inmn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
hello,
I am about to take delivery of a new diesel i30cw SX model with Automatic transmission later this week (this is the 1.6 litre diesel engine with 4 speed Auto). I would like to know what other owners of this car (or at least i30cw auto owners) achieve as far as fuel economy.

Does the wagon version use noticeably more fuel than the hatchback?

Unfortunately, due to my wife not able (and also not wanting :mad:) to drive a manual we had to go for an auto.
I want to know what to expect for country driving. I live in a small town and drive mainly between other towns in the area (25km-50km) each way, in Gippsland in Victoria, Australia. I also do a couple of trips to Melbourne each month (about 150km each way). There will be very few short trips. I drive carefully and gently with fuel economy in mind.

I am also interested in what fuel economy the auto diesel gets in suburban driving.

thanks in advance for any info.
inmn.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome inmn.. and congratulations on your purchase. I have a Manual Diesel but from what our Auto owners say on here with that sort of driving you should still get a pleasing result (and it should improve over time) :razz:

I'm sure some will give you feedback soon but please be patient as not all members are on as much as me.. :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Hi
I have a i30 5 door CRDi automatic (ie 1.6 diesel), I am in UK so my car is Czech built. 
So far it is only a month old, done 1200 miles, and so I haven't filled up many times, and am driving "gently" albeit swiftly with a mix of long journeys and pottering around doors too. 
However I reckon a slightly disappointing 400 - 450 miles per tankful, with tripmeter suggesting an average of 40-45 mpg. 
But it is early days - car is loosening up - and last fill was with Shell Optimax just to see if that makes a difference.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This thread should help answer your questions...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,431.0.html

There may be others (feel free to use the search button above)

From what I've read elsewhere the CW will only use .1 or .2 LPH more than the hatch (caused by the extra weight)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate,

Took delivery of my CRDI auto CW in late May. Since them I have clocked up 3100k's of mostly highway driving. My economy keeps getting better, got my best distance of 865km at the last refill, for a 6.2l/100 figure (using Vortex diesel and really cramming it in!).

My reading (and experience so far) tells me that the economy should keep improving and that many are achieving the stated economy and I am looking forward to my first 1000k tank. What is also pleasing is that there have been no new car niggles so far (touch wood). This is really noticeable as two new cars at work have both had issues (A Toyota with an imploded auto box and a Ford with a coolant leak). My passengers have commented favourably on the leg room in the rear, one case in point when one mate commented about the room in the back, only to have my front seat passenger put his seat right back. The look on his face when he didn't hit the rear seat passenger's knees and to hear the rear seat passenger say, 'is that all you've got' was priceless.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline gksawtell

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Kurri Kurri
My wife has the auto with 2700km so far, and we have average speed of 49km with the trip computer saying 6.1 l/100. Not to bad for around town. We have only used Vortex!!

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
after 16000kms my best was 6.7 and worst was 7.8l/100kms.

Offline inmn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
Thanks Dazzler for the link.

Looks like most people on this forum prefer manuals, which would have been my choice too if my wife knew how to drive one.

My impressions of the i30cw 1.6l diesel auto has been overwhelmingly positive. Beautifully weighted steering, comfortable ride, very well equipped ( I got the base model), I really enjoy driving it. Only complaint is the headlight coverage at night. I drive on country roads and at night the standard beam seems inadequate, and the high beam is just satisfactory. The headlights fail to cover much at all from the middle of the road to the right. My car has the fog-light/cruise control option, and the fog-lights don't add much at all. When I have the 1000km service I will mention it to the dealer and see if they can adjust them to get a bit more illumination towards the right.

My other car is an 18 year old Toyota Camry, and it's headlight, both standard and high beam illuminate the road and surrounds very well. The high beams on the Camry where recently replaced with a "30% brighter than standard" globe. Maybe it might be worth trying these on the Hyundai

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The high beams on the Camry where recently replaced with a "30% brighter than standard" globe. Maybe it might be worth trying these on the Hyundai

Check out the headlight upgrades thread in the Modifications Section (non-model specific) or seach headlights with the search function.. or Globes..

The Headlights in my i30 are also poor and as mentioned in the modification thread it is definitely worth upgrading the globes although some of the "+" globes seem to have a limited lifespan..

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Yeah I'm also looking to upgrade the globes in mine at some stage.....

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I put plus 50's into both low and high beams and am fairly pleased with the results over standard beams. They could both be better still though...

Offline Ro 09

• 1st Gear
I have a i30 CRDi auto and love it.....I cannot understandstand why anyone would want to drive a manual....it is such a joy not to have to change gear !!!!!
OK I too am a woman and like the easy life !
The car is so responsive and quiet. I have driven over 4000miles in the past 7 weeks since getting mine at the beginning of June and it is now averaging around 44 miles/gallon.....absolutley no help to you who drive in kilometres but compared to my old petrol Seat auto it is brillaint.
My Seat did 350 to the tank and I am now getting around 520 to the tank........the way I look at it is fill up twice ..get the third tank full free !
Really noticed a saving in two ways 1) how many times I have to fill the tank and 2) how much money I am save it......love it !!!!

Offline Ro 09

• 1st Gear
Hi I have had my CRDI auto 7 weeks now...bought in second hand, previously owned by hyundai, 09 reg and had done 7,500 and I was disappointed that it was giving me around 450-480 gallons per tank....but I have noticed a couple of things....firstly if after filling  it I wait a few moments and let it settle in the tank, I can fill it even more ...atleast another gallon !
Also the trip was initially telling  me around 42mpg but that has gone up to around 44mpg. I do all kinds of roads and speeds and in the last 7 weeks have done just over 4000 miles so it is now on nearly 12000.....and I think it is great...certainly noticing the difference coming from a petrol car before !

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... it was giving me around 450-480 gallons per tank...

A strange measurement indeed Ro :lol:

We know what you mean though. The diesel frothing issue is well known, you'll get used to putting more than just an extra gallon in when you fill, if you're patient enough to wait for the froth to settle in between clicks of the pump. I've not actually counted, but I think I wait around 10 seconds between clicks and repeat the "brimming" around 8-10 times
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi RO 09 ... Gr8 to hear your positive comments  :mrgreen:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Filled up yesterday. I'm down to 5.99l/100 about 4800k covered.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

mick55
I took delivery of a new red i30cw on Saturday, it is a CRDI (1.6) auto. I have done approximately 200km as of today the trip computer is showing 6.3l/100km it has been a 60/40 mix of urban/freeway driving and the climate air has been on continuously.  At this very early stage I'm very impressed as I expect this figure to improve as the engine loosens up. :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes Mick that figure should improve unless youi start "flying around" as Christmas approaches... :wink: :lol:

mick55
Another weekend trip of around 340km with approximately 30% urban and 70% highway at 110kmh, climate air on continuously two people on board and fairly loaded up. Now getting 6.1l/100km according to trip computer, fuel gauge indicating just under 3/4 full on my return.  I was talking to a bloke on the weekend who said he didn't start getting maximum power or economy with his Nissan Navarra diesel until about 60,000km :eek: In any case I'm pretty happy with 47mpg in the old money!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Mick Congratulations .. I think that is an excellent figure for an Auto.. particularly the CW which is tradionally .1 or .2 more thirsty than the hatch... :razz:

mick55
 Please see new topic above.  Is it possible to delete your own posts?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We could merge the two threads maybe???

Offline fibrokid

• 1st Gear
I have owned a i30 1.6 (115 bhp) Automatic since 2009, since having the ECU remapped the performance has surprised even me, acceleration 0-60 no great improvement, but 20-100 is very impressive to say the least (top peed 127mph +), the best mpg I have got is 300 miles motorway driving at 55-60mph when I managed to average 86.4 mpg, which I think is rather impressive.

Offline inmn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
Posted by: fibrokid
I have owned a i30 1.6 (115 bhp) Automatic since 2009, since having the ECU remapped the performance has surprised even me, acceleration 0-60 no great improvement, but 20-100 is very impressive to say the least (top peed 127mph +), the best mpg I have got is 300 miles motorway driving at 55-60mph when I managed to average 86.4 mpg, which I think is rather impressive.
I have owned a i30cw auto 1.6l diesel for nearly 3 months. I live in a rural area and around 95% of my driving is on country roads with 100km/h speed limits (about 62 m/h) with the rest of the driving in suburban Melbourne. I drive carefully and gently, generally a few km/h under the speed limit. I am getting an average of 6.1 l/100km which is about 38.5 MPG (US Gallons) or about 46.2 MPG (Imperial Gallons), this is over 6759km.

The best for a one tank so far (the last one!) is 5.44 l/100km or 43.2 MPG (US Gallons) or 51.9 MPG (Imperial Gallons).

Now that the weather is getting warmer I would hope for a few percent improvement, and coupled with the engine now more run-in I would hope would also improve things, hopefully getting closer to 5 l/100km [20 km/l or 47 MPG (US) or 56.5 MPG (Imperial)], but for the life of me I don't ever expect to get anywhere near 86.4 MPG, which equates to 3.28 l/100km or 30.5km/l or 71.8 MPG (US Gallons). There have been a few posts saying that the diesel engine needs quite a lot of km to get fully run in, but I don't expect such a drastic improvement.

Unless your calculation was for a few kilometre stretch down a very gentle slope I find you claimed fuel economy to be impossible to attain. I would like to know what your average fuel economy and the type of roads you drive on.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Posted by: fibrokid
I have owned a i30cw auto 1.6l diesel for nearly 3 months. I live in a rural area and around 95% of my driving is on country roads with 100km/h speed limits (about 62 m/h) with the rest of the driving in suburban Melbourne. I drive carefully and gently, generally a few km/h under the speed limit. I am getting an average of 6.1 l/100km which is about 38.5 MPG (US Gallons) or about 46.2 MPG (Imperial Gallons), this is over 6759km.

The best for a one tank so far (the last one!) is 5.44 l/100km or 43.2 MPG (US Gallons) or 51.9 MPG (Imperial Gallons).

Now that the weather is getting warmer I would hope for a few percent improvement, and coupled with the engine now more run-in I would hope would also improve things, hopefully getting closer to 5 l/100km [20 km/l or 47 MPG (US) or 56.5 MPG (Imperial)], but for the life of me I don't ever expect to get anywhere near 86.4 MPG, which equates to 3.28 l/100km or 30.5km/l or 71.8 MPG (US Gallons). There have been a few posts saying that the diesel engine needs quite a lot of km to get fully run in, but I don't expect such a drastic improvement.

Unless your calculation was for a few kilometre stretch down a very gentle slope I find you claimed fuel economy to be impossible to attain. I would like to know what your average fuel economy and the type of roads you drive on.

that's good economy from an auto.

the difference between your average economy data & what the fibrokid quoted is, the fibrokid used the trip computer for a distance at an average speed being very careful.
but you are quoting average fuel used over a tank full.
i don't have a trip computer so i always quote for a tank full.
& i always seem to be abole to do 1,100k before i need to refill, unless i'm about to go on a trip, then i'll top my tank up.
my i30 CRDi 5 speed now has 72,000k i have not done any long trips lately & this last tank i drove all within sydney metro & included 50k towing a 5X8 box trailer with a total weight of 500kg on M7 M2 i did 1,100 & put 56L to fill right to the top. i'm happy & my i30 is as it came from showroom except for SLX wheels & tyres

Offline inmn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
that's good economy from an auto.

the difference between your average economy data & what the fibrokid quoted is, the fibrokid used the trip computer for a distance at an average speed being very careful.
but you are quoting average fuel used over a tank full.
i don't have a trip computer so i always quote for a tank full.
& i always seem to be abole to do 1,100k before i need to refill, unless i'm about to go on a trip, then i'll top my tank up.
my i30 CRDi 5 speed now has 72,000k i have not done any long trips lately & this last tank i drove all within sydney metro & included 50k towing a 5X8 box trailer with a total weight of 500kg on M7 M2 i did 1,100 & put 56L to fill right to the top. i'm happy & my i30 is as it came from showroom except for SLX wheels & tyres

I would think that the trip computer is generally accurate, but the simple measurement of distance based on the odometer reading and the amount of litres you fill up the tank is a figure I would have more faith in any day. I don't think Hyundai would put a vehicle on the market that could easily manage 3.3 l/100km with a chip mod (I assume this is just a remapping of the fuel injector timing and volume based on the various sensors) and release it with a mapping that could not even break 5 l/100km (for the auto 1.6 l diesel). Unless of course this chip mod does some serious long term damage to the engine or other drive train components. I have had some tankfuls with driving only on rural roads where the brakes are not touched until I reach the next town 25km-30km away. Often there is a return trip almost immediately (i.e. pick up wife from train station), or some shopping, under one hour, so the engine is either fully warm or still pretty warm for the return journey. This would approximate almost ideal conditions for maximizing fuel economy, as per Fibrokid's incredible 3.28 l/100km for a 300Mile stretch (483km). I fill up the tank at somewhere between 720km and 820km distance covered, this would be around 10 individual trips (every 7-12 days) per tankful.

I would have been happy to pay another $1000 or $2000 for the same car that could manage 3.28 l/100km when traveling at a steady 55-60 mph (88.5km/h- 96.5 km/h).

Also note that I have a i30cw, which as has been mentioned in another post uses about 0.1-0.2 Litres per hour more than the hatchback version.

Lakes, you quote distance for a tankful, but I would be more satisfied if you simply quoted the direct fuel economy figures for each tankful. You do however mention 1100km for 56 litres, which comes to just under 5.1 l/100km which is still a lot more than Fibrokid's incredible 3.28 l/100km, considering you have a manual.

I standby my assertion that 3.28 l/100km is impossible to attain for tankful for a 1.6l diesel auto i30 (hatchback and cw version) unless some solid evidence to back up this alleged observation is produced.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
*shrugs shoulders* does it really matter... we do have one of the cheapest cars in australia to run!

for the record i usually get 950~1000km from 56L i CBF figuring that out... but in my books its pretty friggin awesome!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal