i30 Owners Club

i30 Active battery recuperation

Lorian · 9 · 4322

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
By accident today I selected the volts display on my scangauge before driving off. I was suprised to see it illustrated really well the bosch active battery management. This feature (not on all cars) charges the battery more when decelerating and less when accelerating, to help fuel economy a little.

This table illustrates what I saw. Thre more you accelerate the lower the voltage seen. The more you use the engine to decelerate the higher the voltage, within these bounds. When maintaining speed it stays at 14.1v constantly.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm going to check my scangauge charge figures.  :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds like the system installed in the Prius, where it charges during decel, but with the Prius it has to be selected manually.

Good spot, but you should be keeping your eyes on the road :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Plenty of time when driving in the snow ;-)

Sent via swype & tapatalk on Android

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Forgot to say as soon as you switch the headlights on this facility switches off.

Pip
Forgot to say as soon as you switch the headlights on this facility switches off.

Ah, that sounds right... I wondered what such a high voltage would do to the lights.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think the voltage the scangauge is reporting is before regulation, ie what is used to charge the battery. I,m sure all the systems that require a regulated output get such. For example the internal lights and dash lights dont get brighter and dimmer.

I think you can tell if your i30 has this by checking if you have the temperature sensor on one of the the battery terminals

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
hrmm... any pics of said sensor please... i could pull out my turbo timer and watch the volts... somewhere in its menu is a voltage gauge... god only knows why...

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I can't even open the bonnet at the moment, it is covered in snow. It's a little copper and siver thing attached directly to the right hand battery terminal. I suspect it's only been on cars since MY2009.5 and maybe just european ones.

I also notice yesterday when they car has just started and it's really cold (presumably the battery is cold according to the battery thermometer) it pegs the voltage at 14.6V until things have warmed up.

Quite a clever little system.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal