i30 Owners Club

UK related -buying an ex-rental car

Offline Mister Paul

• 2nd Gear

• North Somerset
I'd be interested in your views on this.

We bought a 2017 i30 a month ago from a dealer. We were told it had one owner. The first service wasn't in the book so I've been chasing it. I've just had an email from the dealer with an attachment confirming the first service. The confirmation was from Europcar and also confirmed that it had been a rental vehicle.

I know that views on buying ex-rentals are mixed. "Hire cars are the fastest in the world" vs "they get serviced properly" and I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not. The other aspect is that the ASA state that dealers should tell potential buyers if a car is ex-lease or ex-rental, as it's a valid consideration when buying and buyers shouldn't have to ask. This is backed up by legislation.

What do you think? I know that resale value would likely be lower if the next buyer knows it's ex-hire. The car is in good condition and we've still got 2.5 years of warranty from it, but that wouldn't cover eg a trashed clutch if it goes early. Do we let it go or contact the dealer, if only to express disappointment that they didn't tell us it was ex-hire?
  • i1.4 T-GDi SE Nav

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd be interested in your views on this.

What do you think? I know that resale value would likely be lower if the next buyer knows it's ex-hire. The car is in good condition and we've still got 2.5 years of warranty from it, but that wouldn't cover eg a trashed clutch if it goes early. Do we let it go or contact the dealer, if only to express disappointment that they didn't tell us it was ex-hire?

I'd be pretty pi$$ed off about that. I used to be be a fairly easy going guy but age and health issues have shortened one of my fuses (thankfully the other one is unaffected) I said that last bit to stop any of the crew making snide comments.

With the scary excesses that most rental companies (including Europcar) put on their rentals I always treat them kindly, but I'm sure some don't. Selling as ex-rental as one owner and conveniently losing the service record was a pretty sneaky way to operate in my opinion. I think if were me I'd make noises and try and screw them for a free service voucher or something as compensation. Make it clear that you probably wouldn't have bought it or would have expected to pay less if you'd known it was an ex-rental. :evil:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Dazz has given good advice  -  but just in case there is a precedent in the UK - register with the Honest John website    :link: Honest John   and send them your question.

They provide solid advice based on current UK consumer law.

I imagine they will have met this problem before.

Hopefully, most cars today are well built and can take some hard driving for the usually short time owned by the rental company. Especially Hyundai's. For manual cars clutch wear and gearbox misuse could be the most likely faults. I assume there is still a couple of years left on the warranty which would cover the gearbox
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 15:03:06 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What mileage was on the car when you bought?

What age and mileage at the service?

Has it had just the 1 service, routine service, or has it had intermediate as well?

Was it bought from a hyundai dealer?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Mister Paul

• 2nd Gear

• North Somerset
What mileage was on the car when you bought?

What age and mileage at the service?

Was it bought from a hyundai dealer?

Hyundai dealer.

1st service by rental company at 10k, second service pre-sale at 17k.
  • i1.4 T-GDi SE Nav

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Was it the 20k or 2 year service done at 17k.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
A lot of dealer stocks across all manufacturers is ex rental and lease, this is VERY normal, just people who don't buy a lot of nearly new cars often don't realise. They are of course supposed to tell you.  I wouldn't worry about it. Its all under warranty for 5 years. You just need to be happy with the cosmetic condition, and that all the services details are in the book and on time.

Offline Mister Paul

• 2nd Gear

• North Somerset
A lot of dealer stocks across all manufacturers is ex rental and lease, this is VERY normal, just people who don't buy a lot of nearly new cars often don't realise. They are of course supposed to tell you.  I wouldn't worry about it. Its all under warranty for 5 years. You just need to be happy with the cosmetic condition, and that all the services details are in the book and on time.

Thanks.

We've bought several ex-lease cars in the past, but lower age and mileage. With this one it was the not being told, and not being able to weigh up the information on a car we were spending a lot of money on, that was the issue.

As it was the dealer offered to take it back immediately. We spent a good few hours over there a couple of weeks ago and came away with a pre-registered i30 with a good deal.
  • i1.4 T-GDi SE Nav

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal