i30 Owners Club

Replacement Flip-Key Shell (just for the button cover)

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
This may apply to models other than the i30, so I am posting it here...

I think I might have spilt diesel or some other unfriendly substance over my i30 key fob, so the plastic(?) or rubber(?) bit hardened, perished and fell apart.

Instead of replacing the entire key fob for half a bazillion dollars, or swapping over all the components (as per these instructions at :link: Hyundai Flip Key Shell Replacement - YouTube) I decided to purchase a shell from eBay :link: Hyundai I20 I30 Flip KEY Remote Replacment Blank Shell Central Locking | eBay for AUD$11.45 and merely swap the button-pressing-thingo (herein referred to as the ‘BPT’).

It appears the BPT is not glued so I was able to (gently) prise it off the new fob and place on the old fob (below right).

I was worried it would be inferior material and/or the white paint would disappear. However, after nearly 2 months the only issue has been the BPT suddenly decides to start lifting off and detaching from the fob. To solve that I decided to use a few dabs of silicon to ‘glue’ the BPT and the fob together. All seems to be working okay. Not bad for $12 and 10 minutes work! :happydance:
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I could be wrong, but I think that the "button-pressing-thingo" is actually the technical term used for the aforementioned BPT.

:goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's my kinda fix.
 :judges:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: :ta:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Had the similar problem. Hyundai dealer said I could not buy the rubber cover by itself and I would have to buy a new key complete, cost about $450. Ordered a blank key shell from China (Ebay) for about $11 delivered to my door. The new rubber cover fitted and worked perfectly.
I then saw on Ebay a silicon cover claimed to be better than the rubber ones, so I purchased one

:link: Hyundai Remote Flip KEY FOB I30 I35 Button Repair PAD Fits Part NO CE 0678 | eBay

I then removed the rubber boot I had fitted and also the center piece with the three holes. The silicon cover slipped into the key and I think it will last much longer than rubber. It works well and did not cost me $450.

• i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The one you linked looks like crap tbh.
I understand going that way over paying for a new key out of warranty though.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'd think that when they make the replacement button pad they would at least put the icons on it so you know what button is which :rolleyes:

The company that makes them is Polmex here in Perth :link: Polmex
They obviously work well but don't look as good as the original style.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Dont disagree Cruiserfield look is terrible but dont let the look deceive you. I think its better quality, fits and works well. The original rubber cover lasted 3 years only and I suspect this is about the norm.
Is it better? Think so but dont know time will tell

• i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal