i30 Owners Club

Is PD TPMS same as Veloster TPMS

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Just cos Im an expom  :rofl:  thers a guy in Brisbane who will do it but fuel may be a touch more than $240 if i have a heavy right foot  :whistler:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Dunno where in Perth you are buy why not DIY the change over...

$22.00/hr for hoist and S22/hr for tyre machine.

:link: DIY Garage Malaga WA | Rates
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Not a bad idea, I have changed steel wheels before (over 30 years ago) when I was a boy with an old fashioned manual tyre changer, bar & then tapped a few weights on rims using spirit level balancer.

Never changed alloys before so Would be nervous with damaging rims and not used to these high tech balances and where to add stick on weights. Google could be my friend  :sweating: :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Not a bad idea, I have changed steel wheels before (over 30 years ago) when I was a boy with an old fashioned manual tyre changer, bar & then tapped a few weights on rims using spirit level balancer.

Never changed alloys before so Would be nervous with damaging rims and not used to these high tech balances and where to add stick on weights. Google could be my friend  :sweating: :whistler:
That link looks like a good idea, but my advice would be not to try doing it yourself.

Without considering the possible damage to the TPMS sender units, 18"wheels, especially alloys can be pretty tricky. I have changed literally thousands of tyres in my day, from using hand held bead breakers and tyre levers and rubber mallets, to the latest tyre changing machinery Up to about 6 years ago). Up to 17"diameters are fine but by the time you get to 18"and above, the tyre sidewall is so inflexible as to require a lot of skill, care and practice to remove and replace, without causing damage to the rim or tyre bead.
Could be an expensive job if something goes wrong.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I hadn’t heard of that place before, good idea  :goodjob2:

As Trevor mentioned I wouldn’t be playing with the wheels unless very confident in the process.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The extra effort required with 18"+ wheels might explain why your quotes are higher than expected.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Even changing 12", 13" steel wheels back in my teenage years was still hard work. Stretching a stubborn 225/40R 18 may be beyond my skill level and very weary of damaging the rims. Also may take me 4 hours to do it myself. Common factor on Google is lots of tyre lube needed on the bead  :sweating:

May have to leave it to the professionals and not be "a Have a go hero"  :spitty:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Even changing 12", 13" steel wheels back in my teenage years was still hard work. Stretching a stubborn 225/40R 18 may be beyond my skill level and very weary of damaging the rims. Also may take me 4 hours to do it myself. Common factor on Google is lots of tyre lube needed on the bead  :sweating:

May have to leave it to the professionals and not be "a Have a go hero"  :spitty:
Ironically, 10" and some 12" were the worst.
BMC (Mini ) rims were reversed so the tyre had to come off the back of the rim because of the  drop centre being closer to the inside rim than the outside as it was on most wheels.
If you've never changed a tyre the above might be unclear.

This pic of a drop centre wheel will give you some idea what I'm talking about. It seems to have an exaggerated drop centre but is a good example for clarity. When removing or fitting a tyre, the technique is to feed the tyre bead down into that well and keep it down there as the tyre and lever rotate. It produces a reduced diameter to make it easier to pull the bead over the rim. The 10" Mini rims had the drop centre nearer the back of the wheel, not the front. Trying to pull the tyre over the front rim often led to damaged rims or tyres or both. And at best some skinned knuckles. At worst you could lose a finger.

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Meh, ive changed heaps all the way up to 24" rims and did not find it hard at all.

30 profile tyres can raise a sweat though !!

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Ironically, 10" and some 12" were the worst.
BMC (Mini ) rims were reversed so the tyre had to come off the back of the rim because of the  drop centre being closer to the inside rim than the outside as it was on most wheels.
If you've never changed a tyre the above might be unclear.

This pic of a drop centre wheel will give you some idea what I'm talking about. It seems to have an exaggerated drop centre but is a good example for clarity. When removing or fitting a tyre, the technique is to feed the tyre bead down into that well and keep it down there as the tyre and lever rotate. It produces a reduced diameter to make it easier to pull the bead over the rim. The 10" Mini rims had the drop centre nearer the back of the wheel, not the front. Trying to pull the tyre over the front rim often led to damaged rims or tyres or both. And at best some skinned knuckles. At worst you could lose a finger.

Reverse mount rims are easy, flip em over !!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Of  course they're easy. Unfortunately far too many don't look before they start.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Meh, ive changed heaps all the way up to 24" rims and did not find it hard at all.

Wish I'd had you along when i i was training people.
Never yet met a tyre technician who didn't get stuck occasionally.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
You guys will be comparing shark bites next  :winker: :rofl:
 attempted to try Veloster wheels on front, but unable to undo 3 wheel nuts even with 1m scaff tube on 21mm tyre wrench. Those Feckers at Gemini Body shop have rattle gunned them on. Absolutely stupidly tight, and probably damaged the threads, nuts & wheel. So couldn't remove front right wheel for demo purposes and will need rattle gun to get them off.  There's no way I would be able to replace this wheel if I had a puncture,

Anyway whinge over picture of back wheel. Beginning to think 19" alloys would fill the arches as Veloster wheel looks a bit lost

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Aren't the Veloster wheels and tyres the same size as your PD ones? if you go 19" then you need smaller profile tyre so it wont fill the guard any better, lowered springs will fix that problem though :)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Ive had a few that were challenging but keep a level head and be patient... anything else and a damaged whee lor tyre will result.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Ive had a few that were challenging but keep a level head and be patient... anything else and a damaged whee lor tyre will result.
Absolutely agree.  :goodjob2:

But not all do, as I'm sure you know.

Used to call the tyre fitters at Rocklea Truck Centre the "Rock Apes"  :whistler: :mrgreen:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Aren't the Veloster wheels and tyres the same size as your PD ones? if you go 19" then you need smaller profile tyre so it wont fill the guard any better, lowered springs will fix that problem though
Yes the Veloster wheels are same size apart from 4 or 5mm offset difference. Both 215 and 225 can be fitted. Both i30 and Veloster look lost under wheel arch. Lowered springs would help a lot. Oh i30 wheel & tyre weigh around 22.6kg and Veloster 21.1kg

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Santa fe 235/55r19's offset about 45 (?) if cb & pcd match ?
They'll fill it  :winker:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You guys will be comparing shark bites next  :winker: :rofl:
 attempted to try Veloster wheels on front, but unable to undo 3 wheel nuts even with 1m scaff tube on 21mm tyre wrench. Those Feckers at Gemini Body shop have rattle gunned them on. Absolutely stupidly tight, and probably damaged the threads, nuts & wheel. So couldn't remove front right wheel for demo purposes and will need rattle gun to get them off.  There's no way I would be able to replace this wheel if I had a puncture,

Anyway whinge over picture of back wheel. Beginning to think 19" alloys would fill the arches as Veloster wheel looks a bit lost

I reckon they look great on your blue car. Much nicer than the standard wheel (unless they are painted black of course..)  :snigger:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Oh i30 wheel & tyre weigh around 22.6kg and Veloster 21.1kg
Any weight reduction is good, especially unsprung weight :goodjob2:

I wonder if the difference in weight is the tyres or wheels :undecided: my current Hankook Ventus S1 Noble tyres are 11.3kg's each - the Michelin tyres I'll be using next are 9.5kg's each so once the Michelins are on my 8kg Koya's they'll weigh 17.5kg's...just shy of another 2kg drop per wheel :happydance:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:22:53 by CraigB »

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Any weight reduction is good, especially unsprung weight

I wonder if the difference in weight is the tyres or wheels  my current Hankook Ventus S1 Noble tyres are 11.3kg's each - the Michelin tyres I'll be using next are 9.5kg's each so once the Michelins are on my 8kg Koya's they'll weigh 17.5kg's...just shy of another 2kg drop per wheel
it will be partly tyre as veloster tyres are 215/40r18 Bridgestone & i30 225/40R18 Hankook ventus prime.
But there is definitely less mass on veloster alloy spokes and centre hub. I will have to paint brake calipers red once TPMS is sorted. 

Your wheels are featherweight class along with those Michelins, what tyre size are those?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah my 18" x 8" Koya's are a semi forged wheel, can go even lighter with fully forged but the expense is a bit much to warrant for street use though it would knock another 1 to 1.5kg's off depending on wheel.

Tyres are 225 x 40 x 18
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 15:49:58 by CraigB »

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Well finally changed i30 tyres onto veloster alloys yesterday at long last. The front wheel took a ridiculous amount of rattle gun effort before the nuts even budged (thanks Gemini) 
The tyre garage didnt bother swapping the TPMS sensors over, as 2015 alloys and TPMS battery should still be good especially with inactivity.   
Unfortunately the i30 system does not read them and TPMS error light on in dash after 5-10kms. The garage assured me they would work so back in to change sensors over  :crazy1:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:38:10 by Crustycottage »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bugger! They do look good though.  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looks alright :goodjob2: what did they end up charging you for the change over Scott?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
A nice subtle touch there Crusty,  :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
$180 to change over all tyres and wheels, and balance so pricey. Reading on other forums, the sensor ids need to be programmed with GDS TPMS. Reader going round each wheel from front left, front right, rear right, and left rear. The old school tyre shop I used don't have that device, so will probably find out what Hyundai charge  :phone1:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal