i30 Owners Club

5 to 6 speed manual (2007 Kia Ceed 1.6)

yoda · 6 · 5662

Offline yoda

• 1st Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Sofia
Hi guys!
My first post here is on a topic that I could not find any info on. I drive a 2007 Kia Ceed 1.6 115 bhp and the reverse is popping out almost every time now. I would like to gain insight on the following suject: Can I shove a 6speed manual from a facelifted model (same engine but 2011).
What parts could be different, if any (not counting the obvious stick and shift mechanisms)? Crankshaft sensor, driveshafts, gearbox mounts?
Thank you!
  • Kia Ceed

Offline yoda

• 1st Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Sofia
 :crazy1:
I am seriously thinking of swapping gearboxes.
Doing it myself, expense is not the concern here.
Just looking for the much needed info on interchangeable parts.
Anyone?
  • Kia Ceed

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not to many here on the i30 Owners Club have a Kia Ceed, fewer still if any would have done a gearbox upgrade me thinks.

You might need to do some of the home work yourself by visually inspecting a 2011 vehicle at a wreckers and take note of the gearbox length and mounting points, it's possible you could have a direct fit but I truly couldn't say for sure :undecided:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Maybe swap whole unit ?  :undecided: then electronics etc.
6 speed is usually only different ratios with the top the same from memory.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline yoda

• 1st Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Sofia
 :mrgreen:
Well...have done some research - does not matter if we're talking kia or hyundai.
Mount points are the same. Basically what one would need is a gearbox, cables and a stick, nothing more...except like in my case, the car has an autopilot and the new gearbox lack a sensor on the shifter...
Now, if you want to change a turbo from a facelifted version, you will need the following:
Turbo, of course
Downpipe
High and low pressure oil lines
EGR flange (the electronic body is the same but sits on a different flange)
Turbo way from turbo to somewhere under the engine.
The newer turbo is bigger and stronger as it seems and sits higher, this the need for more accompanying parts. Will work the same way without a remap.
What I lack is the sensor on the new gearbox and the downpipe...so if I find a workaround I am definitely gonna swap!
  • Kia Ceed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:mrgreen:
Well...have done some research - does not matter if we're talking kia or hyundai.
Mount points are the same. Basically what one would need is a gearbox, cables and a stick, nothing more...except like in my case, the car has an autopilot and the new gearbox lack a sensor on the shifter...
Now, if you want to change a turbo from a facelifted version, you will need the following:
Turbo, of course
Downpipe
High and low pressure oil lines
EGR flange (the electronic body is the same but sits on a different flange)
Turbo way from turbo to somewhere under the engine.
The newer turbo is bigger and stronger as it seems and sits higher, this the need for more accompanying parts. Will work the same way without a remap.
What I lack is the sensor on the new gearbox and the downpipe...so if I find a workaround I am definitely gonna swap!

Good luck with it...  :goodjob:  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal