i30 Owners Club

Retrofit GPS from SR/Premium

Offline maikulz

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
I'm looking to install the GPS system from a SR/Premium into my ActiveX. Has anyone done this before? I'm after some information on the affects to steering wheel control and what is needed to get the GPS to work?

Thanks
  • GD3

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I'm looking to install the GPS system from a SR/Premium into my ActiveX. Has anyone done this before? I'm after some information on the affects to steering wheel control and what is needed to get the GPS to work?

Thanks

I haven't - but started to consider it for my Mum's i30 Elite (which being NZ has a bog-std. monochrome non-touch LCD headunit) as someone had, at the time, put an ebay listing for wreaking an i30 with Nav unit.

From memory, IIRC, in such Nav equipped models the 'shark-fin' radio aerial also contains the GPS aerial and there is a radio/GPS antenna cable (from memory two antenna cables) wiring loom (which I get the strange feeling it also has a power feed - but I might be way off base there).   Other than that (extra antenna) I *think* (don't know for certain) it is a 'drop-in' replacement (as all the smarts are suppository in the unit - and the SR/Premium Navi units are AFAIK an OEM headunit for the model).

So I suspect the major issue will be ascertaining if the ActiveX already has the required aerial and cable fitted - and if not then the thing will be sourcing the loom and aerial (unless your sourcing the headunit from a wreck).   Again, from memory, there were radio and radio/GPS variants of the aerial loom - so I suspect the ActiveX won't have it.

Just a note though - a number of users report that GPS/map support is not good (with out of date maps) for the OEM nav units.

Also you might find more info in :link: ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC/AUDIO - in particular you might find :link: HOW TO: GD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit of use (if you haven't done it before.   Possibly this topic should be there (a mod will no doubt move it if they so decide).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 00:35:58 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Just a note though - a number of users report that GPS/map support is not good (with out of date maps) for the OEM nav units.

:whsaid:

Unlike a $100 Garmin or Tom Tom which you can get with lifetime free updates, the Hyundai and a lot of other built in GPS units are seldom updated and cost a considerable sum to have it done!  :fum:

For a similar cost you might be better looking into a Pioneer or other after market stereo/gps.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The negative feedback on the maps is one of the main reasons I went for the base Active model.
I then bought a Navman 5" aftermarket GPS and had it hard-wired.
I know it's not as tidy sitting on top of the dash (I put mine in the right hand corner), but I'm pleased I went that way and am not reliant upon Mr Hyundai for my updates.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
... I'm pleased I went that way ...
Still not as nice as my hardwired Navman GPS in the 'custom' dash compartment in the FD model. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
But at the end of the day, Gonz, you can't beat the GD model. :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I *think* (don't know for certain) it is a 'drop-in' replacement (as all the smarts are suppository in the unit - and the SR/Premium Navi units are AFAIK an OEM headunit for the model).

:eek: But in the END you just have to go with your gut feelings!  :whistler: :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I *think* (don't know for certain) it is a 'drop-in' replacement (as all the smarts are suppository in the unit - and the SR/Premium Navi units are AFAIK an OEM headunit for the model).

:eek: But in the END you just have to go with your gut feelings!  :whistler: :lol:

Well I arsed up that one!  :D  :rofl:
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal