i30 Owners Club

Ipad mini double din mount?

Offline blakeclayton12

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
G'Day guys
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about how to go about mounting an ipad into the gd2. was thinking of securing an ipad mini so i had all my music, maps and more in the dash. Any help or thoughts are appreciated
  • Hyundai i30 Active X 2015

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Would be a nice mod, but unfortunately I can't help with the logistics. :cool:

Couldn't find anything suitable via Ebay.  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline blakeclayton12

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
i have managed to find this
:link: 11 184 Car Radio Fascia for HYUNDAI i30 2012+ Headunit Dash Kit Installation CD Trim Facia Face Plate Panel DVD Frame

can anyone confirm if this will work? i am thinking of buying a second oem facia incase i need to adjust anything

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Why don't you message them and ask? I didn't see Ipad mentioned (but I might have missed it) :cool:

If it was easy to install an I pad that way, I am sure they would be singing it from the roof tops!  :undecided:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Never tried it, and only have an FD as my personal vehicle.   And I am not sure anyone else has.

My thoughts are:
* Neat Idea!

The electronic tech in me wonders:
* How will you mount the iPad mini?    To the fascia? or separately to the dash sub-frame? - I suspect you will need to make some sought of custom mount - maybe out of generic 2DIN mounting hardware.
* How will you get iPad to power the car speakers, etc?
** Are you going to have a headunit behind it?  Which will make mounting more interesting... esp. if you want to access the headunit from time to time.
** Some other hardware that will take sound from iPad, amp it enough to drive the car speakers?
** I am assuming you won't be relying on the iPad's inbuilt speakers for sound output.

Concealing power to iPad mini (assuming a space can be found - probably can) would probably be easy enough - just make sure the 12Vdc (in) charger is wired to an IGN source... car on/charger on.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline blakeclayton12

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
In regards to the electric tech
*mounting is the part i am unsure about. i was thinking about buying a couple of the stock oem fascia plates from Hyundai parts so i can chop them up and play around about. Ultimately, i want to create a scaled down version of this
:link: iPad Dash Install - YouTube

My 4 main uses for the (hopefully possible) iPad mount would be
*OBD-II connection via Bluetooth
*Clock for dash, as the i30 has a small clock and i am very time reliant
*Media (Mainly spotify. can tether phone cause i have unlimited data but offline as well)
*GPS via google maps/apple or another maps service

in terms of connections, i was thinking (still planning) of either keeping the old head unit in the glove box, so it can be accessed if needed, Or going the long way with the amp and dials. and by keeping the old head unit, i can just have the iPad always connected bu AUX, which is not as great as amp, but still better than nothing.

Money is a bit of a problem so i didn't want to spend too much. i am taking it too a car shop soon to get some info from them.

*** also, even tho ipad is prefered, i wouldnt mind too much about getting a good 6/7" android tablet

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is so cool that I want one in my Calais V..  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It would be so useful to have.
I'd use it all the time.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
In regards to the electric tech
*mounting is the part i am unsure about. i was thinking about buying a couple of the stock oem fascia plates from Hyundai parts so i can chop them up and play around about. Ultimately, i want to create a scaled down version of this

FYI please continue reading past the first few paragraphs - eventually I start into everything I can think of regarding how you might mount an iPad Mini into the dash in an i30.

Okay - unless they changed it for GD2 - the fascia plates for the headunit (and also the A/C) are also the face-plates of those units (I have examples of both GD-01 and GD-02 headunit here, and it seems the same for the OEM GPS units).   So I am not sure you can get 'stock oem fascia plates' - to which I am assuming you are referring to a plain 2DIN adapter plate, such as the one you linked to in your 2nd post - in any event I can warn you now... from Hyundai itself (if they do have them) the parts would be expensive.   It would be more cost-effective to get some 2DIN fascia plates from ebay (or similar and I suspect where dealers fit 'aftermarket' head-units pre-delivery the probably use 2DIN adapters from ebay, etc.

You may find this topic :link: HOW TO: GD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit useful for some of what you are attempting (accessing the dash to get to the headunit, etc), and for what I am trying to say about the fascia/faceplate.

Usual disclaimer (for anyone who might attempt this - esp. as articles can be found by google)... your car, your doing it, your risk (i.e. you break it = your problem).   Also the following information hadn't been physically done at time of writing (some of it might not work).

Measuring the fascia/faceplate of a GD-02 (GD-01 should be exactly the same) - you really couldn't go any bigger than a iPad Mini (199.90 x 134.62mm) and even that might push it.   However an image of an OEM GPS unit may indicate it is possible to use an iPad mini.   Using the front image of the fascia you posted before...

* Height wise at the centre of a GD-02 unit (i.e. bottom centre of the top curve to bottom of piece that sticks down between the two lugs) is 134.5mm (per my cheap mini-measuring tape) - but note the top has two clips just below that edge (which would eat a 1-2mm)
* Width wise - the narrowest points of the sides is just before the bottom edge starts - is 210mm
* Note the listing (above) for the fascia states it is for 173x98mm 2DIN size - as opposed to 178x100mm 2DIN size - I would try to get one with the bigger size if possible to access as much of the screen as possible.
* I don't know what the actual screen size, ergo also the touchscreen size, is for an iPad Mini - but looking at the image on the iPad Mini wikipedia page... the side margins between screen and device edge are much smaller than top and bottom margins... and I suspect that would be a potential issue... as I suspect they are less than ~17.5mm ( i.e. (135mm-100mm)/2 )

So I think, with a little luck, you might be able to do it (without removing the top clips).  I am taking a guess there will probably be some clear space behind the top of the A/C control - back in the dash a little at least.   The 2DIN adapter shown seems to closely model the rear of the headunit fascia (the back extending further into dash as it goes down so when the unit is mounted in dash the body/enclosure of it is horizontal and internal front is vertical) which will put the screen of the iPad Mini roughly 45mm in from the front of fascia at the bottom (i.e. screen surface will be vertical).   Which also means it is unlikely to foul the A/C control's fascia tabs that clip into the lugs at the bottom of the 2DIN fascia.   However you will probably need to detach the 2DIN mounting plates.

So I would suggest, with the iPad Mini in landscape orientation (obviously), you would have one long edge (likely the one with no buttons) pressed up against top clips and the other would probably hang down a little lower than the bottom of 2DIN fascia (but that will probably not be an issue physically). You will probably have to put up with the slight offset to the screen vertically speaking - that some of the lower edge most likely will be hidden, but hopefully this won't be enough to access any icons/buttons.  Horizontally you might be able to offset it just enough so the home-button isn't covered by the edge of the fascia - in any event, even if not doing such an offset, I suspect you would have to detach the 2DIN mounting plates (but use them later).  In the link you linked to, they appear to be screwed on... which would be advantageous... so assuming it was used I would unscrew them and then get reduce the height of the screw posts do they don't stop the iPad Mini screen from fitting flush to the back of the 2DIN surround molding.

Alternatively you might want to offset horizontally in the other direction so the front camera can be used - but you would have to devise a way to press the home button (which will probably be needed from time to time) and you also need to have space for power at connections.

The reason I suggest the long edge with no buttons to be the 'top' edge is a) they don't get fouled on the tabs at the top (which would means you would need to leave more space, or modify/remove a tab); b) there likely won't be anything to be fouled on at the bottom; c) the headphone (assume also analogue aux) socket would be at the top giving more space for a plug plugging into it.   Of course being the iPad Mini uses Lighting Connector - there wouldn't be the need for analogue aux (at least with OEM headunit - assumed GD-01) - as the audio is transmitted digitally along the Lighting<->USB cable.  Likewise (with OEM headunit) you would probably not need separate power - from memory GD-01 headunits supply 5V@2.4A (max) via USB socket when car is on (even if headunit is off/standby).

The final part which will be needed (unless you some how have securely bracketed the iPad Mini to the fascia - which would probably be hard given the dimensions) is someway to ensure the iPad Mini doesn't move remembering to account for road vibrations, etc., most likely via something attached to the back of the iPad Mini...

This could be done with the 2DIN mounting plates (removed earlier) - but would have relatively small surface contact area to the iPad Mini.  Attach them, appropriately spaced and positioned (this will probably be tricky so would suggest using normal double-sided tape until you have the positions just right, mark the positions, then use something much stronger for permanent mounting) so the screen is offset on the fascia (as described above) when the dash-frame to OEM head-unit mounting brackets are bolted in position with the 2DIN mounting brackets attached to them (hopefully the slide slots - forward/backward - on the 2DIN mounting brackets will handle the 7mm depth of the iPad Mini).

Alternatively something like a sheet of perspex (or maybe MDF highly preferably sealed- but remember wood can burn; so I would probably go with perspex) could be used to give much more contact surface are for the adhesive (i.e. most of the back gets stuck to most of the sheet).  If the material was thick enough you *might* be able to securely mount the OEM head-unit mount brackets directly to the edges of it (potentially you might be able to laminate 2-3 layers to achieve that) - but remember it would need to stand up to vibration.  Otherwise I would suggest a small 4 sided box made of the material - the sides are where the OEM head-unit bracket would mount, the front would be where the iPad Mini would be mounted to and the back for rigidity.  The sides should probably cover the ends of the front/back so as to 'clamp' them when OEM head-unit brackets are mount to them and the dash frame - though perfectly ideally the front (and likely back) pieces would actually notch into the side pieces at some-point (so even if what held - e.g. glue?, small screws? - the pieces to each other failed the iPad wouldn't fall down (so wouldn't potentially damage anything below).

Hope this may have helped with ideas on how to mount in an i30.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 17:51:19 by ibrokeit »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
In regards to the rest of message...

My 4 main uses for the (hopefully possible) iPad mount would be
*OBD-II connection via Bluetooth
*Clock for dash, as the i30 has a small clock and i am very time reliant
Is "small clock" referring to the small clock on the screen when the head-unit is on?  I am assuming your head-unit is a GD-01 - if you have an entirely separate clock it might not be.

*Media (Mainly spotify. can tether phone cause i have unlimited data but offline as well)
*GPS via google maps/apple or another maps service
Can't see any of them being problems.

in terms of connections, i was thinking (still planning) of either keeping the old head unit in the glove box, so it can be accessed if needed, Or going the long way with the amp and dials. and by keeping the old head unit, i can just have the iPad always connected bu AUX, which is not as great as amp, but still better than nothing.
If you retained the OEM headunit (assumed GD-01) that would probably be simplest integration iPad Mini wise - as mentioned in previous post (about mounting)...
"Being the iPad Mini uses Lighting Connector - there wouldn't be the need for analogue aux (at least with OEM head-unit - assumed GD-01) - as the audio is transmitted digitally along the Lighting<->USB cable.  Likewise (with OEM headunit) you would probably not need separate power - from memory GD-01 head-units supply 5V@2.4A (max) via USB socket when car is on (even if head-unit is off/standby)."
So you would only need one cable, and some (most or all) of the audio steering wheel controls (if fitted) would control the playback from the iPad Mini (what functions would be dependent on head-unit and I don't recall what they are).

Potential issues will be a) will the OEM head-unit (2DIN + fascia) fit in the glove-box?; b) will the loom for head-unit need to be extended to do so?; c) will you be able access anything *behind* the glove-box without extra impediment - in the FD models the cabin A/C filter is behind the glove-box, accessed by releasing the stops and letting it open further than normal.  No idea if there is anything like that for the GDs.

If it won't fit in the glove-box maybe it could fit right at the back, next to the center of the dash, of front passage foot well/area? Or maybe under passenger seat (though I suspect not).   I would almost suggest if it was the case - to get a 1DIN head-unit that supports USB<->Lightning connection (i.e. digital output from iPad Mini) and preferably the steering when controls, esp. if head-unit will be hidden (e.g. volume control), aftermarket ones that do support them are generally programmable in regards to what each button on the wheel does.

Money is a bit of a problem so i didn't want to spend too much. i am taking it too a car shop soon to get some info from them.

*** also, even tho ipad is prefered, i wouldnt mind too much about getting a good 6/7" android tablet
A slightly smaller tablet maybe easier to mount.

If you do go for the iPad Mini and mount it in dash - please take photos at various stages.  Would be useful as reference in a guide.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
I think It would be best to go with a nexus 7 or any other android over apple reason why because I don't think obd 11 can connect to apple via Bluetooth and you can actually do a lot more with an android than an apple unless if you jailbreak the apple tablet.

I'm not starting an android vs apple discussion but just my opinion and I have been using apple since the first iPhone and just  swap over to android 2 years ago and won't go back to iPhone that's for sure.

Thanks
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think It would be best to go with a nexus 7 or any other android over apple reason why because I don't think obd 11 can connect to apple via Bluetooth and you can actually do a lot more with an android than an apple unless if you jailbreak the apple tablet.

I'm not starting an android vs apple discussion but just my opinion and I have been using apple since the first iPhone and just  swap over to android 2 years ago and won't go back to iPhone that's for sure.

Thanks
Apple devices work fine with OBD2, just use the Wi-Fi connection with the new 2015 Vgate iCar3 OBD2 device :link: 2015 Vgate ICAR3 OBD2 OBD ELM327 Wifi CAR Diagnostic Scan Tool Android Iphone | eBay

I think Apple are much better devices for music than Android as that would be the main purpose if replacing the head unit, I also wouldn't advise jail breaking any Apple device...you'll only be removing it's security which is a major benefit over other systems.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.

Thanks
Apple devices work fine with OBD2, just use the Wi-Fi connection with the new 2015 Vgate iCar3 OBD2 device :link: 2015 Vgate ICAR3 OBD2 OBD ELM327 Wifi CAR Diagnostic Scan Tool Android Iphone | eBay

I think Apple are much better devices for music than Android as that would be the main purpose if replacing the head unit, I also wouldn't advise jail breaking any Apple device...you'll only be removing it's security which is a major benefit over other systems.
I don't think it's as reliable as the Bluetooth connection I done WiFi obd 2 before and wasn't fun and Spotify if good for android aswell but yep craigB it was just my opinion thanks

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Thanks

I don't think it's as reliable as the Bluetooth connection I done WiFi obd 2 before and wasn't fun and Spotify if good for android aswell but yep craigB it was just my opinion thanks
But you just said you didn't think Apple devices could connect via Bluetooth...hence why I gave the Wi-Fi option, cant say I've ever had an issue with Wi-Fi on Apple either.

Spotify is also available for Apple if it was needed/wanted.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Yep that's why I mention Bluetooth as he wanted to connect via Bluetooth not WiFi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It wouldn't really matter what connection was used as they are both reliable options :goodjob2:

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
I installed a 7" Galaxy tablet in the dash of my FD and it was great I loved it. Only issue I had as that when the car was left outside the tablet would get too hot and wouldn't turn on, not very good for the battery either, I ended up changing it back to stock.

Couple of head decks now have android auto, or apple car play (I think it's called). Probably the best way to go these days.
  • Hyundai i30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I installed a 7" Galaxy tablet in the dash of my FD and it was great I loved it. Only issue I had as that when the car was left outside the tablet would get too hot and wouldn't turn on, not very good for the battery either, I ended up changing it back to stock.

Couple of head decks now have android auto, or apple car play (I think it's called). Probably the best way to go these days.

Sought of wondered about the heating - so thanks for stating it.

For when the vehicle is on - a fan could be mounted behind the tablet (whatever it may be) so moving air across the back. But that wouldn't help when it was off.

Actually my iPhone6+ complained it was too hot - on a 30 min journey with it stuck to the windscreen in a holder.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Found Jesse91 topic on installing a 7" Galaxy tablet, though it is for FD instead of a GD (which the author of this topic has), but still plenty useful info and images...

:link: Samsung Galaxy Tab2 stereo replacement, dash install with pics

Jesse91 - Nice how you did a bracket for the tablet and secured it to the fascia!

I spotted that even getting a single DIN headunit into the glovebox required modification/cutting away so it could fit.

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Nice how you did a bracket for the tablet and secured it to the fascia!

I spotted that even getting a single DIN headunit into the glovebox required modification/cutting away so it could fit.

Thank you :) yes I still have that hole in my glove box, you can't even notice it though. Yeah that's the issue with living in such a hot climate, if you lived somewhere cooler or always parked undercover it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Another thing that the OP might not realise is if you don't drive much then the the tablet will slowly drain. For example say the tablet loses 10% per day on standby and it only gets 8% charge a day from driving, it will take awhile but it would slowly go down.

That youtuber "soundman" I think someone already mentioned makes "floating ipad" mounts. They look super flush and are great idea for someone that wants to take there tablet/ipad out when they get home.

Personally I like the idea of having a removable tablet that sits in front of a head unit, that way you don't always have to take the tablet with you to have audio. But then if you are going for a longer drive or want some gps you can pop the tablet in.
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Personally I like the idea of having a removable tablet that sits in front of a head unit, that way you don't always have to take the tablet with you to have audio. But then if you are going for a longer drive or want some gps you can pop the tablet in.

That sounds like a better option to me.  :cool: :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

That sounds like a better option to me.  :cool: :goodjob:
Something like this might be the answer :link: Gooseneck Adjustable CAR Floor Seat Mount Holder Stand FOR Ipad Mini AIR 5 4 3 2 | eBay though not quite as neat if installed into the dash.

Or a CD mount :link: CAR CD Mount Tablet PC Holder FOR IPAD2 3 4 5 AIR Galaxy TAB Accessory Salable | eBay

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal