i30 Owners Club

Yet Another Towbar question :)

Offline LordPanda

• 1st Gear
Had a quick search of the forum and nothing seemed to apply so here goes:

I'm wondering if the towbar for the i30 hatch can be fitted to a wagon?

I purchased a towbar kit from here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220869638732

Seller assured me that it could be fitted onto my 2011 Hyundai CRDi cross wagon.  I received the assembly today and the fitting instructions state in no-nonsense terms that it's for the 'i30 HATCH TOWBAR' (part# AL090 2L001). Have I been had?

Also installation requires cutting into the center undertray as well as cutting into the rear bumper via templates.  What's the best cutting tool for the job here?

Thanks in advance :D

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Definitely DOES NOT fit. I got the dealer to throw in a tow bar and they gave me the hatch version by accident. The CW version has a different RHS section, allowing for the metal work of the car. The side bolts don't line up either if you try the hatch towbar on the CW and you cannot push up the tow bar as far as it needs to go. My CW is August '11 edition. The wiring harness however is identical.

When you fit the correct tow bar, you need to cut the bumper (with tin snips) and a little out of the plastic covers too. The instructions say to throw the plastic underside cover away but I managed to fit them all back. Can take a photo if needed.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline LordPanda

• 1st Gear
Hati, thanks very much for your awesome reply. The moment I had a look at the installation instructions, I got that sinking sensation :(

If I were to give the seller the benefit of the doubt then he may have been confused because the wiring loom had separate instructions for all the different models - he may have thought that meant the towbar was compatible across all those models as well. However that doesn't explain why he didn't mention the flaking paint and rust on the right hand side of the assembly which is conspicuously out of frame in the photo.  :rolleyes:

Anyway I guess I'll be getting in touch PayPal disputes or my credit card company and get the funds charged-back so no biggie.

Again Hati thanks very much; at least I know what must be done now. If you wouldn't mind posting the photo of your mod, I'm sure I won't be the only one appreciating it :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good job Hati...  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

If I were to give the seller the benefit of the doubt then he may have been confused because the wiring loom had separate instructions for all the different models - he may have thought that meant the towbar was compatible across all those models as well.

That's quite possible, I thought the same initially too, before I actually tried to fit the hatch tow bar.

Careful with the "screws" holding those plastic covers under the bumper, you need very light touch so those plastic screws actually come out instead of just spin around. Stubby Philips head screw driver will do you.

First photo is the fit of the harness' own grommet. Second is the LHS (looking from behind the car) of the tow bar, you can just make out some of the plastic cover on the right. Third is the RHS. In the front of the bolt on the left is the bump in the car's "chassis" that makes the hatch towbar useless for the CW. Pic 4 should be self explanatory :)

If you are good with your hands, you can easily work out how to fit those plastic covers back.

Sorry about the quality of the photos, the little compact cam didn't like the underside of the car. Don't have access to a ramp to take some proper shots.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline LordPanda

• 1st Gear
Thanks Hati - appreciate the effort and the pretty decent images :) Now, did you have much trouble with the muffler?

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
No worries, glad it helps.  :)

Push off the top of those rubber stays (leave the end on the exhaust alone) and they should come off quite easily. I tried the exhaust end first, but it was a royal pain and did not want to come off. Top end is easy though.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline LordPanda

• 1st Gear
Thanks again ... I shall be far better prepared - thanks to you - when the right towbar kit finally arrives  :goodjob2:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Do the Australian versions of the i30  have different towbar mounting points to the U.K. models?

In Europe the towbar MUST fit the manufacturer's "type approved"  mounting points and some U.K. i30 towbars are adaptable to fit both the Estate and the Hatch.  In addition there is no cutting of the bumper required.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal