i30 Owners Club

2013 GD I30 HATCH GENUINE HYUNDAI TOWBAR/HARNESS SELF FITTING

Offline mythirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi, new Hyundai owner and member of these pages. If anyone has self fitted recently to the GD Hatch the genuine towbar and wiring harness, could they please PM me so I can pick their experience on how they went with the job and what was entailed. Thanks very much guys!
  • 2013 i30 Active 1.8 auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome mythirty.. I am pretty sure a few members have done it.. Hopefully one will post a how to, if they haven't already..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mythirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks Dazzler for the welcome! No replies as yet, hopefully somone who has fitted the genuine one can get in touch soon!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazzler for the welcome! No replies as yet, hopefully somone who has fitted the genuine one can get in touch soon!!

I will see if I can find any reference on the site and post a link here..

Have a look at this link (looks like it's for an FD but should be similar)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=20629.msg245199#msg245199

I used advanced search "Towbar" 0 - 180 days and got 10 hits but you could try "tow bar" etc.. and see what comes us (also try google)

Some members only visit every few days (or weeks)  :eek: So you might need to be patient .. :cool:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hi mythirty and welcome to the club from another Brisbane member.

I can't help with your tow bar question but would like to extend an invitation to you to join some fellow SQ members at a club get together and lunch at the Appolonian Hotel at Boreen Point (north of Tewantin) on Sunday 28 July.

It would be great to meet you. :goodjob2:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That's very nice and civil of you, UM.  :goodjob2:
I do hope that your avatar doesn't lead to any misconceptions.  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
That's very nice and civil of you, UM.  :goodjob2:
I do hope that your avatar doesn't lead to any misconceptions.  :whistler:

I hope it doesn't lead to any misconceptions either. :faint:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline mythirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks everyone for the welcome to these pages. Still no reply from anyone who has done a self fit with the genuine towbar. Anyway I will keep checking and hopefully someone spots my post and can help me...Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks everyone for the welcome to these pages. Still no reply from anyone who has done a self fit with the genuine towbar. Anyway I will keep checking and hopefully someone spots my post and can help me...Cheers

I get the impression anyone with average DIY skills should be able to work through the necessary steps and save up to a couple of hundred dollars in labour  :goodjob:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

In Europe a towbar has to be Type Approved which means that the vehicle manufacturer specifies, and provides, fixing points to which any brand of towbar will fit.  Consequently there is little difference in the basic construction.

The i30 tow bar is easy to fit with just 6 bolts used.  The tow ball can be of several types from a bolt on flange type to detachable.

The dedicated electric kit it a plug and play arrangement with only a wire from the rear to the fuse box on the end of the dashboard being  awkward to fit.

As the early models were built in Korea it could be assumed that the Australian versions would have the same mounting points....or perhaps not          ?????

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Mythirty has a GD i30 and being in OZ it's gonna have the torsion beam rear suspension so that may or may not change things...  :undecided:

Offline mythirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Just an update, have not heard from anyone at this stage who has fitted one themselves. Got a printout of the fitting instructions from the dealer yesterday and there is a fair bit involved. Although fairly clear instructions, if we are going to do ourselves (and save around $400 fitting price), still would like some advice before we tackle it. Even if there is a Hy dealership tech from Brisbane who has fitted them before to the GD, could give us a helping hand on the day, Iwould be willing to put some "Oxford scholars in his top sky rocket". PM me if you can help.....

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Got a printout of the fitting instructions from the dealer yesterday and there is a fair bit involved. Although fairly clear instructions,

Hi,

Could you scan and post the fitting instructions to  enable a comparison to the European version which as I posted earlier only has 6 bolts to attach it to the car.
I think the GD has the same platform as the FD so the mounting points should be the same on both.  The estate and hatch even use the same tow bar  over here which has alternative mounting holes to accommodate both models.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal