i30 Owners Club

Windscreen wipers speed?

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Not sure if this is a interior or exterior topic, but how do you change the speed of the windscreen wipers in the 2012 i30?

If you shift the stick upwards, it does a single wipe, then you shift it down, which turns it off, then you have auto wipers which doesn't work (guessing it's been deactivated or something?), then you have a wipe which just continually wipes, but isn't fast. Is is possible to change the speed so it's a wipe every few seconds...?

Hopefully this has made sense, appreciate any help.
  • Hyundai i30 Automatic Petrol Premium 2012

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
What makes you think the Auto wipe has been disabled?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline jonno

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Yokine, Perth WA
Not sure about the 2012 model, however our 2009 model has a 'sleeve' on the windscreen wiper stalk that you rotate to adjust speed/delay of intermittent wiping of the front wipers.
We have a sensor on the front of the dash too - unsure what it does tho (SX model).
  • 2009 i30 SX

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On mine up once is intermittant up again 'normal speed'and up a 3rd time is fast speed.

The rotation thingy on the stalk alters the intermittant interval sweep.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
What makes you think the Auto wipe has been disabled?
It doesn't work.. Haha. I've tried using it but nothing. And the one wipe when you turn the engine on doesn't occur. Might ask at my next service.

I'll try fiddling with the speed things. Cheers.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Tried fiddling with the speed knob, but the wipers still go at a pace that's to quick haha. I'll ask when I go in for my service this week I guess.

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
On mine up once is intermittant up again 'normal speed'and up a 3rd time is fast speed.

It's exactly like this in mine. But if Pantries car is equipped with an automatic wiper, then probably the 'auto function' is in between 'off' and 'intermittant' so that 'intermeittat would be up twice.

So If you want to wipe slowly, go twice up with the stick (once if there is no auto mode available in your car)  and turn the rotary knob at the stick down. If it's to slow, just turn the rotary knob up a bit.

But probably it's defective in your car because otherwise you'd have figured it out already.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've only had Auto wipers once in 28 or so cars (my last Hybrid) but I really miss them.

The Toyota system seldom got tricked. I seem to be forever adjusting the speed or the setting in our current car..

Doesn't help that we have had a very wet winter.  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If you have autowipe - the sensor pad is an the very top of the windscreen behind the rear view mirror
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire

It's exactly like this in mine. But if Pantries car is equipped with an automatic wiper, then probably the 'auto function' is in between 'off' and 'intermittant' so that 'intermeittat would be up twice.

So If you want to wipe slowly, go twice up with the stick (once if there is no auto mode available in your car)  and turn the rotary knob at the stick down. If it's to slow, just turn the rotary knob up a bit.

But probably it's defective in your car because otherwise you'd have figured it out already.

That's what I'm thinking too, that it's defective. The auto feature doesn't work, yet I have the rain sensor on top of the windscreen. And the speed thing that you rotate for the windscreen wipers doesn't change the speed, it just stocks to a wipe every second.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Just got a call from Hyundai in regards to my service. The service went well, and they checked out the auto wipers, and they couldn't get them to work either, so their going to keep it till tomorrow afternoon, so they can check another Hyundai vehicle since the wiring in my car seems fine, and might just be the sensor on the windscreen. See what happens from here on!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, it's good to know it wasn't just you.... :lol:  :goodjob:

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Got my car back today.. Some bad news.. They ended up resolving the auto windscreen wipers but at a cost, the interior lighting that was installed short circuited the windscreen wipers, so they had to disable the interior lighting, but the auto wipers are working.. Along with that, I had to fork out $180 for them to disable the interior lighting and fix the auto wipers... Which brought the final bill which was supposed to be capped at $219, to $417 because of the auto wipers issue...  :mad:

Guess I'll give Hyundai a call and see what they can do.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I've only had Auto wipers once in 28 or so cars (my last Hybrid) but I really miss them.

They probably miss you too, Dazz.  :(
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal