AlanHo · 28 · 25192

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
i30 1.6 CRDi 128PS Style Tourer

I went to the dealers on Monday 13th May to see the new car arrive and offloaded from the transporter. There were 8 miles on the odo.
The dealer carried out the PDI on Tuesday, put 15 litres  of fuel in and fitted mud flaps (the only accessory I asked for) – then carried out an 11 mile road test to give the car a thorough check.
I collected the car late evening on Wednesday 15th May and drove 7 miles home where I brimmed the car – adding 48.8 litres of standard diesel to the part filled tank at my local BP services,  I then set the average fuel trip and distance trip A to zero at 26 miles on the odo.

Today – Thursday May 16th I took the car for an early morning spin around my normal test route of 29 motorway miles and 10 miles on town and rural roads to check the car over and collect some data. 

I took my decibel meter with me and found that cabin noise is on average 2dB higher than my previous car. I’m sure that this is due to the Hankook eco tyres compared with the Continentals which I had specially fitted to my previous car.

Although new, the car felt much more spritely in the higher gears than my previous 2012 GD hatchback.  I eventually realised (when I kept trying to change up into a non-existing gear higher than 6th ) that the gear ratios were different. I therefore checked the gearing using my sat-nav to indicate road speed in each gear at 2000 rpm as I did before with my previous car. I have updated the table I published last year to add the tourer – you can see that it is indeed lower geared – in fact the ratios seem similar to the FD 6 speed model. 

I also checked the speedo against my sat nav and determined that it is 8% fast at all speeds over the range 30 to 70 mph.

At mid-day we set out for a 4 day holiday in a cottage in Dorset near Weymouth. We collected my wife’s sister on the way who is coming with us.  Hence the car was loaded with 3 people and a boot full of luggage and food for our self catering holiday.   We arrived at the cottage with 272 miles on the odo. and 246 miles (354 km) on Trip A and the average fuel trip showing 65.2 mpg (4.22 l/100km). From the Nuvi log I have determined that we did 177 miles on free flowing motorways. The remaining 69 miles is evenly split between B roads and town driving with a lot of stop starts.

About 10 miles before we reached the cottage I noticed that the economy trip had reached the remarkable high of 68.1 mpg (4.1 l/100km) when it suddenly started steadily falling which fell to 65.2 mpg by journey’s end.  I initially thought that the falling economy was due to the Dorset hilly terrain  but when I stopped at a junction the auto stop was deactivated – a sure sign that the DPF was regenerating. It was still regenerating when we reached the cottage confirmed by the heat and burning smell coming from under the car. Hence the DPF was regenerating at roughly 260 miles despite the fact that 65% of the mileage since the car was new was on motorways cruising at more than 60 mph.

There is little point in me reporting on all the features of the car – because other than the fact is is a tourer rather than a hatchback - it is the same vehicle as my previous GD model which I described in great detail in an earlier post.  Hence I need only give you my initial impressions after just one day and 246 miles on the road.

Firstly – the car is definitely better at smoothing out bumps in the road but this is at the price of it feeling slightly less sure footed with spirited cornering.  Whether this is due to the heavier body, the different tyres or suspension tweaking I am not sure. Perhaps a bit of all three. This is not a complaint because I doubt that sporty drivers would buy this model and I am of an age where comfort is a priority.  I much prefer the suspension of this tourer to my previous hatch – so  does my wife.

On the evidence of just today and assuming the trip recorder is a reasonable guide – this tourer is far more economical than my previous hatchback.  The eco tyres would have an effect of course – but the lower gearing gives the car a more spritely feel which I would have expected to have a detrimental effect on economy. It seems that this is not the case which poses the question – why does the i30 hatch have such high gearing in the UK.  I will of course report on the actual economy when I next brim the car and do the maths.

I am particularly pleased with the luggage capacity in the boot, the level floor with the back seats folded and the stowage bins under the boot floor for all my odds and ends. The lack of a high lip in the rear door opening makes loading and unloading much easier for us old folk. However – I realise I am preaching to the converted here.

I am disappointed that Hyundai have done nothing about the stupid instant economy indicator which remains a moving bar limited to just 50 mpg. I would happily swap the unnecessary service interval display that has been added for a proper digital numeric instant fuel economy display. When I switched the car on this morning the display told me that I had 363 days or 19900 miles to go before the next service.  I can’t wait…

There is something different about the profile of the steering wheel compared with my previous car that “I can’t put my finger on”. I am not sure why. It feels thinner in parts and thicker in others with more prominent stitching which is slightly uncomfortable. The trip reset button is still at the junction of a spoke and the wheel rim – it is all too easy to inadvertently press it when turning the wheel or when allowing your hand to slip to the bottom of the wheel when cruising.

My seat feels firmer than the previous car – or is this an illusion because the seats softened with usage in the previous model.  This is not a complaint – after 246 miles in the driving seat today my 76 year old body felt fine. For sure the seating is more comfortable than my previous Audis.  My wife is still griping about the lack of height adjustment of the passenger seat. She is used to the i10 which is much easier to get in and out of because it is a taller car.

The rear window – because of the higher roof line of the tourer - is slightly deeper. It makes a significant difference to rear vision. I like it.

The front parking sensors on the car are still stupid – just one sensor mounted behind each fog light which leaves the whole of the front of the car lacking hazard detection.  I may well have 4 sensors added to the front of the car like I did before. This time I would use a third party kit rather than the Hyundai ones which cost £300.

Some things I will be adding to the car myself :-
Rear bumper protection foil
Reversible boot map or liner
Aluminium sill guards

Things I will not have :-
Nodding dog for rear window
Baby on board sign
Go faster stripes
17” wheels
Engine remap or chip tuning box

Watch this space......................
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Old git on board...   Have ya got that sign for the rear window Alan????

Very interesting write up that Alan, well up to your usual standard  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great report and look forward to futher updates
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts:

Reversible boot map or liner

Wow, is the boot that big you need a map?  :Shocked:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Did I miss something? I'm sure the last time I looked Alan had a hatch. It's almost deja vu.

What's the reason for the change and have you already gotten rid of the hatch? Sorry if you've already mentioned.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Excellent résumé.

You sound delighted :D

Are you the first club member to be on their 3rd successive i30?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Are you the first club member to be on their 3rd successive i30?

Got my next one on order........

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
i30 1.6 CRDi 128PS Style Tourer

Hence the DPF was regenerating at roughly 260 miles despite the fact that 65% of the mileage since the car was new was on motorways cruising at more than 60 mph.

Driving on motorways at any speed will produce particulates. Higher speed is only a requirement at DPF regeneration time.

A comprehensive report, sounds like those extra few inches in the boot have made quite a difference to your storage capabilities.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
When I looked at the Tourer at the dealer the other week, the luggage area looked obviously bigger to my CW. I can only imagine how massive it would be coming from the hatch.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Good idea, might have to check one out, IRS too in Aus.  :goodjob2:

According to Alan, I figure it must have at least the same size tank as the FD. If that's the case, it must have an improved range due to the decreased fuel consumption. :goodjob2: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Phil

I have no reason to doubt that the dealer put 15 litres into the tank before delivery - but the proof will be when I next brim the tank after running it to the low fuel warning. If I get about 58 litres in - then the tank is the same size as my previous hatch.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Our second day here in Dorset saw us visit some of the local attractions and take a tour round some of the beautiful villages here.

When we first arrived at the cottage on Thursday the trip recorder registered economy of 65.2 mpg and the odo 272 miles. At the end of the second day the odo read 324 miles and the trip economy had fallen to 61.1 mpg. Hardly surprising because the undulating countryside with steep hills, narrow lanes where is was not possible to use a gear higher than third and lots of stop starts made it impossible to drive economically. Using the above mileage and economy figures with a bit of simple maths, reveals that the car averaged 46 mpg (6.1 l/100 km) over the 52 miles travelled during the day.

The haggle with the dealer on the trade-in of my wife’s 3 year old i10 and my 2012 i30 in exchange for a new a new i30 Tourer without money changing hands included getting my car treated with GEN-3GLASSCOAT paint and fabric protection. I have never been a fan of dealer applied snake oil paint protection magic coatings at exhorbitant costs – but this stuff is in another league. My brother-in-law had his new car treated 9 months ago and I have been very impressed at how it shrugs off water and dirt – including brake dust on the alloys. They visited us 3 weeks ago and I pulled his leg about how dirty his silver car looked - so he invited me to spray it with the garden hose. The dirt ran off the car and wheels in a steady stream and it finished up looking very clean without the use of any elbow grease whatsoever. I admit it left behind a microscopic film of dirt – but far less than a pressure washer leaves behind on a car. A quick rub over with a microfibre cloth produced a gleaming showroom finish.

http://www.g-3glasscoat.com/front

There were rain showers here yesterday and we travelled along some very muddy lanes used by farm machinery and farm animals. When we got back to the cottage the car was filthy – especially the back of the car and the wheels. The cottage is situated in an old farmyard and parking is 40 yards away with no hosepipe nearby. So I filled a bucket with water and chucked it over the back of the car. This removed an amazing amount of the dirt without any rubbing and I am satisfied that the garden hose is all that I will need when we get home on Monday. :goodjob:

One minor problem the coating has given me is with the adhesive backed disc I apply to the centre of the dashboard to attach my Garmin Nuvi. It has come adrift and refuses to be re-attached. I guess the internal spray of the upholstery also included the trim - and the invisible coating is shrugging off the adhesive. I have had to resort to using the windscreen sucker until I get back home to sort it out.

One incident yesterday which has concerned me is that I had to drive through a large puddle across the road which unbeknown to me was hiding what must have been the mother of all potholes. The offside front wheel crashed into it with a loud bang and a secondary huge thump was heard and felt in the car. I stopped to check the car as best as I could and could see no damage but sticking out of the puddle was a large lump of jagged rock – as big as a football - which had also been hiding under the water and which must have been thrown up under the car. The car feels OK but I will get the dealer to check the underside, suspension and the wheel alignment when we get back home. 

Brand new car and sod's law innit  :sweating:.

We are soon to set off on day 3 – the ladies are treating me to a few hours browsing the famous Bridport street market. Like all you guys there is nothing I like better than traipsing around shops and market stalls, with aching legs and a raging thirst - in the forlorn hope you will pick up a bargain. Things will  improve later today though – it is our 4th wedding anniversary and we are going out for a nice (and no doubt expensive) dinner.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Enjoy your break, Alan.  :mrgreen:
And thanks for the update.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

the ladies are treating me to a few hours browsing the famous Bridport street market. Like all you guys there is nothing I like better than traipsing around shops and market stalls, with aching legs and a raging thirst

You could always find a Hy dealers to peruse their wares for a while

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry to hear about the savage pot hole Alan  :Pout:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Fingers crossed for the impact. :wink: They usually sound worse than they look.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

We are now back at home after a rather splendid 4 day break in Dorset.

The summary of our trips is as follows

Journey down to Dorset - 184 miles - estimated economy 65.2 mpg (4.33 l/100 km) - Includes uncompleted DPF regeneration on A class road shortly before arriving at destination.

Local trips in hilly Dorset over 4 days - 109 miles - estimated economy 43.6 mpg (6.48 l/100km) - includes another go at DPF regeneration

Journey home - 209 miles - estimated economy 61.3 mpg (4.61 l/100 km) - includes complete DPF regeneration on the motorway

Overall economy at 590 miles is now reading 59.2 mpg (4.77 l/100 km) on the trip recorder. Distance to empty is showing 177 miles.  Bear in mind that 502 of the miles to date have been with 3 in the car and a lot of luggage.

Hence projected range on this tank is 767 miles (1234 km). The best I ever achieved in the previous car was 752 miles (1210 km) so things are looking good.

It may be circumstantial but the DPF seems to regenerate every 260 miles on early evidence.

I need to re-visit my comments about the glasscoat treatment on the paintwork.

It is not quite as wonderful as I first thought. The car got really filthy in the Dorset lanes and it is true that chucking a bucket of water over the back of the car got it very clean. However - that was that day's dirt which had probably not fully dried.

When I got home this afternoon I decided to give the car a quick blast with the garden hose. But it had been hot and sunny yesterday with no rain overnight or today - and the dirt was baked on. The hose shifted most of it, but a thin haze of dirt remained which required the gentle use of a microfiber wash cloth to remove.

So would I still recommend the coating? - only if you get it virtually free as I did with the car exchange haggle. It definitely made cleaning the car and wheels much easier with a significant improvement in removing fly squash and tar splashes.  But the retail cost of circa £200 (I don't know the exact cost) is hard to justify.

One disappointment was to find my first paint chip - on the offside front bumper in front of the fog light. It so happens I know exactly how it happened. I went through a long section of road that had been recently resurfaced with the tar spray and chippings dressing method. There were speed limit signs of 10 mph. I was in a convoy with a big van several metres in front of me on a left hand bend. Suddenly there was a hail of gravel kicked up by a car coming the other way which must have been doing 50 mph. I have checked my DOD dash cam but the van obstructed the view of oncoming traffic on the bend and there is not much to see. I bet I wasn't the only one to have suffered some damage by the inconsiderate BMW 4x4 driving pig.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update Alan.

Hope the alignment and under body checks out ok after the pothole incident :confused:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I hate those arrogant, inconsiderate people who speed past you on newly laid roads.  :evil:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Alan,

So what is your verdict between the 2012 Hatch and the 2013 Tourer. Do you and your lovely wife prefer the new wagon over the hatch, taking everything into account?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Old git on board...   Have ya got that sign for the rear window Alan????

Very interesting write up that Alan, well up to your usual standard  :goodjob: :goodjob:
I have noticed over here the increase of signs in the mobile grey brigades vehicles back windows,"Old Farts On Tour" love it maybe cold find one of them and send Ya  :whistler:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Hi Alan,

So what is your verdict between the 2012 Hatch and the 2013 Tourer. Do you and your lovely wife prefer the new wagon over the hatch, taking everything into account?

I am very happy with the change. The extra room in the boot has proved invaluable - especially with all the commuting to the waste tip to dispose of all the rubbish and used packing materials generated by the house move.  The estate is more composed on rough roads than the hatch - but the increased road noise is a pain - I am seriously considering a tyre change to Continental Premium Contacts which were so successful on the previous car.  Fuel economy is about on par with the previous car - despite the heavier body and lower gearing which makes the car more lively than the hatch.

Another irritant is the lack of proper front parking sensors. Like the previous car there is just one sensor behind each fog light and none on the front. It would be possible to drive straight into a brick wall without the sensors sounding off. To call them FRONT parking sensors is plain stupid - they should be called front corner sensors.  I may have extra sensors fitted as before - the problem with all the modern bells and whistles fitted to cars is that you don't always appreciate their worth - until you don't have them.

My wife is less happy with the new car - she misses her nippy, high seated, little i10 and reluctant to use the cruise control or speed limiter. She also finds that she keeps finding herself driving too fast because the car gives less impression of speed than the i10. However she appreciates the increased comfort and luggage capacity but is on a learning curve with driving a diesel and handling a longer vehicle. As the weeks go by and she gets more driving practice she is slowly getting to like it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Alan, Interesting mix of + and - :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:whsaid:
Yes, thanks Alan.
I can't recall, did you use your db meter in the new one to compare?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes, thanks Alan.
Yeah Alan said the new car is 2db higher than the older,I found the gearing scale facinating,my 6spd 2011 at 2000rpm is only doing 100kph,thats a huge difference to what Alan is quoting  :eek:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, thanks Alan.
Yeah Alan said the new car is 2db higher than the older,I found the gearing scale facinating,my 6spd 2011 at 2000rpm is only doing 100kph,thats a huge difference to what Alan is quoting  :eek:

Thanks, I should have gone back and read it.  :-[
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal