i30 Owners Club

Impressions so far Hyundai i30 Elite 2014 GD 1.8 Manual

ssaini · 12 · 21193

Offline ssaini

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat, VIC
Hi I have driven my New Hyundai i30 1.8Elite Manual 820 Kms. I have followed the general rule of thumb for new car engine run in so far.

Here are the few points about the car so far that I like and dislike.

starting with the Pros

1) Very Good build quality overall.

2) Interior is nice place and everything looks and feel good quality

3) The overall space inside. Especially the rear passengers leg room.

4) The overall features (like Sat Nav, Reversing camera, dual zone climate, rain sensing vipers, heated & Auto folding side mirrors, full size spare etc) vs 
    the price. But I must say I got a good deal.

5) The driving dynamics are actually good. I don’t know why so many reviewers say that the driving dynamics are below average for this car. Unless you
    are driving like  maniac, the car driving dynamics are pretty sweet.

6) Full Sized spare Wheel

7) The car is relatively quiet over country roads i.e. cabin noise is not harsh. There is tyre roar but not to an extent where it gets annoying.

8) Gear Shifts are vey good.

Cons

Minor

1) Sat Nav illumination is too bright. You can use the day/night mode if using the Sat Nav but I am talking about if you are using radio, media screen

2) Steering in my opinion is heavy even in comfort mode and the modes are a gimmick IMHO

3) The stitching on the leather wrapped steering is a bit rough

4) The steering mounted controls have sharp edges

Medium

1) Thick A pillar visibility

2) My shoe get stuck under the plastic panel over the foot rest. I wear size 9.5 shoe

3) Seat are not very comfortable and I find the cushioning a bit hard for long cruises.

4) The radio reception is Pathetic. Both AM and FM. I get lot of static in AM and FM both. If I am parked in garage, I cannot get proper reception. In
    contrast my old car stereo works like a beauty. Good thing is that I do not listen to radio much so I have put this into medium cons otherwise it   
    should in Major.

5) Car traps a lot of heat when parked in open air carparks

Major

1)  I have mostly driven manuals in my life  Suzuki Swift, Mazda 626 (I still have this one), Mitsubishi Van, Hyundai Santro (indian Version). The clutch
     take up point is vague in this car and I still can’t figure out the best way.

When I revere the car, the clutch gets engaged at the lowest point, but when engaged in 1st 
     gear the take up point is higher.

2)   There is a slight hesitation in throttle response when I start in 1st gear. This I find really
      dangerous at round about and crossings. There is a lag in response and the car jerks as well in 
      the first 2 gears. I’ve had few close calls because of this. I never had this problem with other 
      manual cars

3)  May be there is something wrong with my car but this car seriously lacks power in taking off especially at steep or inclined roads. I went for a drive last night and I deliberately stopped at a steep inclined road. With aircon on and only me in the car, it really struggled to take off. My 1996 Mazda 626 (2L manual) which has 230K on odometer does way better with aircon on at the same spot. Even though the power and torque is pretty much similar in both cars.

4) Harsh Engine Sound under acceleration. I am not flooring the gas peddle but not babying it either.

I’ll take the car in for its first service and explain these issues to the dealer and update what the dealer has to say. i’m pretty sure, he’ll say it’s normal. lol.
  • Hyundai i30 Elite 1.8 GD Manual

Offline ssaini

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat, VIC
2 More minor points I would like to add to the list of Cons

1) No light inside glove box
2) No lights in the door.. There are reflectors but i believe if they had put LED lights inside that would have been better. Scenario :  If you open the door of the car while parked on the roadside of a country road then the light in the door (door lamps) will not only be beneficial for the driver but for any vechile coming from behind as well

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
So, I gather you have VERY large feet and need to move house to a neighbourhood with better radio frequency and you have delicate hands which are made sore with the steering wheel....

Send it back for a refund  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Seriously I hope you enjoying your excellent car  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Are you sure about that?
If it's the same as my FD the lights need to be on for the glove box light to work..  :undecided:

I looked in the GD manual and it definitely show there's a light...it's in section 4/101

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Are you sure about that?
If it's the same as my FD the lights need to be on for the glove box light to work..  :undecided:

I looked in the GD manual and it definitely show there's a light...it's in section 4/101
There's definitely a light in my glove box, no key or lights needed...I just opened the door then the glove box and light was on :)

ssaini@ if the comfort steering setting feels heavy :confused: have you checked that your tyres aren't flat, comfort is way to light for me but I will switch between normal and sport periodically depending on where I'm driving and steering weight change is noticeable within a couple of seconds.

Offline ssaini

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat, VIC
So, I gather you have VERY large feet and need to move house to a neighbourhood with better radio frequency and you have delicate hands which are made sore with the steering wheel....
lol .. No the feet are avg, I tried to find a neighbourhood with good reception but the reception does not improve on the open roads..it keeps getting static intermittently.. So the search is on... I have fairly big and rough hands and I like the a bit more curves and soft feel (of course on the steering) ... B'cos the opposites attract, rough and big hands on  soft & sutle curves

Offline ssaini

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat, VIC

Are you sure about that?

There's definitely a light in my glove box, no key or lights needed...I just opened the door then the glove box and light was on :)

ssaini@ if the comfort steering setting feels heavy :confused: have you checked that your tyres aren't flat, comfort is way to light for me but I will switch between normal and sport periodically depending on where I'm driving and steering weight change is noticeable within a couple of seconds.

Yeah I am sure, there is no light in the glove box. I did check the owner's manual and it does say on Section/page 4/117-- " Glove Box Lamp- The glove box lamp comes on when the glove box is opened" BUt I double checked and there is no light installed what so ever. But the picture in the manual is different to what is there in the car. Mine is cooled so I guess they took the light away .. B'cos they can only provide one important feature at a time for the price... :rolleyes:

Also, on 4/118 It also mentions " Puddle Lamp and pocket lamp (if equipped) -- Now mine has Puddle Lamp but no pocket lamp-- going by the same logic as above --One feature at a time-- :lol:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
They're all cooled AFAIK.
Certainly mine is and has a light.
It's not very bright though. Nor is the boot light.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline ssaini

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat, VIC
Where exactly is the light situated in the glove box... b'cos I cannot see anything apart from the cooler knob for letting the cold air inside the glove box... And what model is it? May ve Petrol 1.8 does not have glove box light.. But it seems strange that Petrol Elite which is a mid spec model does not have glove box light.. Can any other 2014 Elite owner confirm this please?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Where exactly is the light situated in the glove box... b'cos I cannot see anything apart from the cooler knob for letting the cold air inside the glove box... And what model is it? May ve Petrol 1.8 does not have glove box light.. But it seems strange that Petrol Elite which is a mid spec model does not have glove box light.. Can any other 2014 Elite owner confirm this please?

The Base model Euro built 1.6 Ltr Petrol Tourer has a glove box light. It is in the middle directly above the glove box door when you drop it down. It comes on even when the lights and ignition are off when the glove box is opened. I would be extremely surprised if any model of i30 didn't have one.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ssaini

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat, VIC
I have checked it many times just  hoping that I'll find it ..lol but no it's not there. And I am surprised as Most people are saying they have glove box lights. Hmmm a mystery for me  :crazy1:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
You need Guidence! ( show me the light )   :)
mention at next service. big let down for me was not glove box lock. the FD all had that. they give you keyless start why not keyless locking glove box ( like need fob to open , no fob no open ) seems like a simple wish.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal