i30 Owners Club

Hesitation/stutter

Eureka · 12 · 6654

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Occasionally my CRDi hesitates/stutters/splutters a little, just for a brief moment or so, then clears and continues to run normally.  Anything to worry about? 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That depends entirely on the cause. :undecided:

Could be fuel filter, fuel, fuel pump, or electronics.

Is it a recent occurrence, or a long lasting problem. How far from a service are you  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Car has about 93,000 ks but it hasn't been Hyundai-serviced for a while.  I recently did an oil and oil filter change; it's had heaps of oil changes.  Fuel filter has only been changed once, at about 60,000 ks.  Car is booked for Monday to have the steering thing checked and they are also going to do the brake light fix.  I might call them tomorrow and see if they can change the fuel filter as well.   I am just hoping that the stutter is not an indication that expensive parts might need replacement ... (injectors?)
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The hy service for fuel filter is rather expensive. As the car has not been serviced at Hy, I would suggest getting an original  filter from a cheaper source, Hyspares eBay etc. Be careful to get the correct one for your car, most suppliers use your vin no to verify and then either replace it yourself, or have your mechanic do it for you.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
could be anything,is it the original motor or the U2,I have one of each and the U2 motor,has I think a similar problem,I wouldn't call it a stutter,I would say it is a very slight hesitation,but like you say it then runs normally,when this happens in bruce it may do it a couple of times within minutes or within the hour,two or three times,then it may not do it for months,I've wondered about it but never been concerned about it,hey the cars under warranty,they'd certainly be hearing about it if it breaks down
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My CRDi was built in Oct 2007.  I don't know the model number of the motor. 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
On the right bottom side of the windscreen, facing the rear of the car, there should be a clear panel with a long series of letter & numbers, this is the VIN no and identifies your car, for the purpose of ordering filters etc.

Offline Foglefar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia
could be anything,is it the original motor or the U2,I have one of each and the U2 motor,has I think a similar problem,I wouldn't call it a stutter,I would say it is a very slight hesitation,but like you say it then runs normally,when this happens in bruce it may do it a couple of times within minutes or within the hour,two or three times,then it may not do it for months,I've wondered about it but never been concerned about it,hey the cars under warranty,they'd certainly be hearing about it if it breaks down

If it turns out to be diesel bug (I had the same symptoms as others in this thread and it was diesel bug) then it's not covered by warranty and the longer you leave it the costlier the repair. Treatment early on with a diesel conditioner will only cost a few dollars.
  • MY12 CRDi 1.6 CW SLX

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well mate, if it does this mostly in 3rd gear  & goes away when you shift or get to higher rev's. it used to happen to me when i had my first five speed. not all the time just every now & then at about same rev mostly in 3rd as i said.
but with the 6 speed & u2 motor it has not happened. i would not worrie too much if its as i described.
good luck with it
ps the 5 speed CRDi i had loved to run on caltex vortex, if i ran on other diesel fuel it went ok , but fill it with vortex and drive 200k &  could feel improvement.
but the u2 6 speed runs same on any diesel

Offline fbvisitor

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe, Tas
G'day,

I'll throw my two bobs worth in here at this point.

I've had an 09 SLX manual for about 8 months now and one thing I've noticed about this car is that if you change up with the revs just a fraction too low, it will shudder/stutter a bit under very light throttle.  It stops it if you accelerate a bit harder and the revs increase to where it is much happier.

I also have an 07 Focus TDCI and it is able to handle 1000 revs and pull in the higher gears no problems at all.  Occasionally I think I must forget what car I'm in.

Of course, this may not be what you're describing, but I'll just pretend it was  :whistler:

Cheers

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
Like Lakes, My 2010 i30SLX hatch has had that 3rd gear 'problem' since new. Service people told but didn't/couldn't fix. It really hasn't been a problem.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Like Lakes, My 2010 i30SLX hatch has had that 3rd gear 'problem' since new. Service people told but didn't/couldn't fix. It really hasn't been a problem.
normal for the pre-U2 diesel .. doesn't like low revs in higher gear.. easy fix, change down.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal