i30 Owners Club

Intermittent diesel not starting

Subby · 7 · 3449

Offline Subby

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gawler, SA
I am having a problem where my car will randomly not start. The engine cranks over normally (battery all ok) but just won't fire. You come back a few minutes later and it start perfectly straight away. Totally random in doing so, can be hot or cold start, just driven long or short distance etc.

Had local mechanic connect to the electronics of the can and error log is all clear, no issues on the log, so that didn't help! Probably only happening roughly 1 start in about 20, so just annoying more than anything, especially when you need to be somewhere. I am thinking some sort of fuel delivery issue, like a solenoid not opening, but if coil on that was faulty, I would also expect loss of fuel and engine stalling when driving as well, but it drives fine. And it needs to be something 'not seen' by the EMC.

Has anyone else experienced this, or got any clues?
  • i30 and ix35

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Subby

:wttc:

Where are you located.. :question:

Could be a camshaft positioning sensor, but those intermittent faults can be a pain in the butt to find.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Do you have a spare key as could be an immobiliser issue (only happened once in almost 3 years with the wife's MY11 2.0 Petrol CW)

:welcum: to the club by the way (and hope it gets sorted soon)  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Subby

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gawler, SA
Hi Subby

:wttc:

Where are you located.. :question:

Could be a camshaft positioning sensor, but those intermittent faults can be a pain in the butt to find.

Located in Gawler, north of Adelaide.
  • i30 and ix35

Offline Subby

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gawler, SA
Whatever it is, it is no doubt going to be a PIA to locate!

Thanks for the ideas so far.
  • i30 and ix35

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
had this problem for a couple of years, it happens once every 3 months or so. I have mentioned it to Hyundai twice and on both occasions they found nothing wrong, nothing in the error log.

My gut feel is it the immobiliser or transponder and may happen sometimes when you unlock the car and start the engine to quickly. Once it does it I have to lock the car with remote and wait 5 minutes then unlock and start the car.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
nothing in the error log.
My gut feel is it the immobiliser or transponder and may happen sometimes when you unlock the car and start the engine to quickly. Once it does it I have to lock the car with remote and wait 5 minutes then unlock and start the car.

Identical to my CRDi, eventually Hyundai (UK) agreed to replace the immobiliser.
No identical problem, in over 3 years :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal