i30 Owners Club

Fog light loose

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello,
I'll open by saying that this issue is with our ix20, and I know that this is an i30 forum, but people have been  helpful to me in the past and I'm hoping that the problem is generic enough that someone will have enough experience to be able to suggest a solution.

We have a loose fog light, on the bumper

I've looked around behind the light and the retainer that holds the screw to the bumper has snapped off.

At the moment I've tried sticking the part back on with silaflex, but i'm not holding out much hope because
a) there's quiet a bit of tension on the screw when the light is push back into place and
b) it looks like someone has previously tried to stick that part back on in a similar manner (the exterior of the car has scratches on that corner)

If it doesn't hold, does anyone know a really reliable way of fixing that r?etainer back on?
(I suspect that this can't be fixed without buying a new bumper)

Jon
  • 2016 i30 Tourer S, Diesel 1.6, Manual, White

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Araldite would do a better job I'd think than silicone, if that fails you could get yourself a cheap plastic welding kit :link: Tradeflame Plastic Welding Accessory Kit | Bunnings Warehouse

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Jonny,

We are happy to help with any model of Hyundai or Kia (sometimes we can even help with other brands too!)

If you can get the silaflex off without damaging the surfaces too much I would recommend using Loctite 401 or 406. It is like superglue  but I have found it more permanent and reliable. Clean both surfaces to be stuck and apply a light coating of 401 (or 406) on one surface and press them together. Hold for a few minutes. Try not to put the joint under load for maybe 30 minutes. Try not to get it on your fingers or you might be holding onto that car for a long time!  :snigger:

It is amazing stuff. Good luck if you decide to try it. It isn't cheap and I keep mine in the fridge when not in use. It goes a long way. I've had a bottle of each for several years and they haven't let me down yet.

:link: Loctite 401 Super Glue - Instant Adhesive - 20G - Sticks metal, rubber, ceramic general purpose. Low viscosity. Ideal for use on porous substrates.:

Edit: I used to use araldite, but I found it wasn't as permanent or reliable as Loctite.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks folks,
Well the silaflex has dried so i have just finished screwing it into place. Despite my exceptionally low expectations it it currently holding, haven’t been on a long journey yet. If it fails I’ll start working my way down the list from you guys.
Thanks for the suggestions.
  • 2016 i30 Tourer S, Diesel 1.6, Manual, White

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hopefully it holds for you and no further work needed :fingers:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal