i30 Owners Club

Todays job

CraigB · 6 · 3598

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Managed to track down a PD SR space saver tyre on Gumtree so this morning was a trip out to pick it up and a quick duck into Clark Rubber to grab one of their high density 15mm foam yoga mats.

While the tyre was out I thought good time to sound insulate the spare tyre well and the yoga mat is ideal as it weighs next to nothing with great acoustic properties.

Cut it all to shape and used SikaBond Sprayfix to adhere it all firmly down in the well then added a couple of layers on the base of the tyre lid/cover to add some support for the reduced width of the space saver, haven't measured with any device though it definitely seems like a few decibels have been knocked off noise from the rear of the car :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice work Craig! That saved you around 10 kg in weight I think didn't it?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yep! that too :goodjob2: now if I ever have to change my tyre on the side of the road I wont be stuck there with a fixed tyre and a broken back :)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If that mat were removable such as with Velcro, you'd have a comfortable knee pad as well. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If that mat were removable such as with Velcro, you'd have a comfortable knee pad as well. :winker:
And that's why you get the big dollars :) good idea :goodjob:

I initially looked around for some Velcro in the shed but was all out and while walking around Bunnings the spray adhesive sparked a thought so ended up with that.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Right you are Gonz.
I keep a couple of pieces of our pool blanket ( basically 15mm bubble wrap) in the boot or our cars.
Looks pretty schnlmick there  craig 👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal