i30 Owners Club

Bike rack resting on rear glass - think it's ok?

lemerv · 9 · 9324

Offline lemerv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I picked up a Kingjo Pro 2 bike rack and have had a go at fitting it (picture attached).

It seems pretty secure and took it on a short drive to test with two bikes on.

However, my main concern is that the top arm is resting on the rear glass. I'm not sure how strong that glass is and whether or not a big bump in the road could cause it to break the glass?

Anyone got any thoughts or experience with this?

Any advice on a better way to mount this?

Thanks

• 2022 i30 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto and a 2014 GD 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
See what you mean.  Take it that the arm is well padded.
By the look of it,  all load should be centred on the boot.
But , no, my previous all were towbar units.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd feel better if there was a square plate there say 10 cm x 10 cm to spread the load  a bit more. But obviously that would compromise rear vision more.  :undecided:

I did a quick Google couldn't see any reports of damage causee by one. Gets reasonable reviews. Biggest negative is no security features apparently.   :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I'd feel better if there was a square plate there say 10 cm x 10 cm to spread the load  a bit more. But obviously that would compromise rear vision more.  :undecided:

I did a quick Google couldn't see any reports of damage causee by one. Gets reasonable reviews. Biggest negative is no security features apparently.   :cool:
You weren't thinking of a bit 1/4 inch steel plate were you?  :eek:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You weren't thinking of a bit 1/4 inch steel plate were you?  :eek:

Nah, Some sort of ABS plastic thing like what @The Gonz  could make with his machine...  :D :idea:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My brother has the Thule version of that carrier :goodjob2: weight is transferred to the lower arm and the window arms are only for support and should be fine.

The only negative I've heard about this style of rack is when the top support straps are too tight from tension or over weight and can put to much force on the window spoiler causing it to loosen or even break.

Offline lemerv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Thanks everyone.

Yes it has some nice foam padding on it. The foam is not too soft but soft enough that it does deform to the window’s shape a bit and so I’m guessing that helps distribute the weight across a greater surface area.

Not sure about a plate though as that would actually centre the weight onto a very specific point since the glass is curved. Or do you mean something that is also curved to match the glass?

I did think about the spoiler strength but luckily this rack came with special “glass” mounting bits. They are essentially thick foam tubes that the straps are attached to. So I open the boot and feed the straps through from the inside and pull all the way until the foam tubes are wedged up under the metal frame of the boot. So the force is pulling up on the metal part of the boot (which the spoiler is attached to) if that makes sense?

I guess it’s just hard to know how strong that rear glass is?
  • 2022 i30 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto and a 2014 GD 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My bike rack is a tow bar mounted goose neck but I agree with the concern of downward pressure on the spoiler, so as long as the straps are missing the spoiler you should be good. Keep it all tight and snug enough so the pressure on the glass doesn't come at every bounce like a hammer strike, of course.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not sure about a plate though as that would actually centre the weight onto a very specific point since the glass is curved. Or do you mean something that is also curved to match the glass?

They're would be nothing stopping someone like Gonz with a 3D printer making a couple of plates with a curve to follow the glass. otherwise could have a pad of high density foam between the plate and the glass which would follow the very minor curve in a 10 centre section of glass. I have the ideal foam ( the dark grey stuff they use for expansion joints in concrete. But sounds like it will be ok as it is. :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal