i30 Owners Club

Rear parking sensors

John B · 9 · 9790

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Guys, Thought I would fit some rear parking sensors on the Kluger so I don't back over the Mrs & the postman ( now before you say it she is not having an affair with the postie ) . Heres the thing  Toyota $530 fitted ( no way )  Installation guy $200 fitted, Autobarn & Supercheap $119 kit $ 109 $79 kits  not fitted, Ebay $28 to $40. Would be very easy for me to fit. All the Ebay ones are unbranded so not sure how long they would last and branded ones more expensive probably still Chinese but are they better made? So have any of you guys had any dealings with the sensors if so have they been reliable ? Branded ones from Supercheap & Autobarn were named Mongoose , Parkmate & Promata. Could not find many reviews to help me on deciding, so any thoughts would help.

Cheers John.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
eBay has been my go-to for all except a SuperCheap special in-mirror reversing cam (needed to be confident of image and light quality) and a good deal on @CraigB 's dashcam.

I've had nothing but happy outcomes after plenty of research throughout the eBay universe, and that includes all kinds of electronics and even my 3D printer.

One thing I do to gain a bit of extra confidence is to find it at Repco or SuperCheap first, then look for a match on eBay, a bit like what the ladies do trying on dresses at department stores ... not that I've been watching. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
hi John, Unlike Diamondback, I mean Gonz.. I  would probably go the middle ground. I had reversing sensors (I assume genuine) added to my 2012 Camry hybrid as part of the deal after changeover already agreed, but that price is about normal for dealer fit. they did work well. it had a camera but adding sensors makes life even easier.

if the Installation guy $200 fitted is integrated into the existing instrumentation as far as notification is concerned then that seems reasonable. Let him have the headaches if there are any issues with calibration etc... 

If Mongoose is the same company that used to make car alarms and remotes, they have been around a long time and I seem to think they have a good name (without actually googling)

Cheers, Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
eBay has been my go-to for all except a SuperCheap special in-mirror reversing cam (needed to be confident of image and light quality) and a good deal on @CraigB 's dashcam.

I've had nothing but happy outcomes after plenty of research throughout the eBay universe, and that includes all kinds of electronics and even my 3D printer.

One thing I do to gain a bit of extra confidence is to find it at Repco or SuperCheap first, then look for a match on eBay, a bit like what the ladies do trying on dresses at department stores ... not that I've been watching. :whistler:

Thanks Gonz, did look on Ebay for the named brands but they were only a few bucks cheaper then Auto barn & Supercheap. The unbranded are so cheap it is making me wonder how they can make them at that cost, even saw a 4 sensor kit with the hole saw blade for $ 9  :eek: There are loads of kits on Ebay so hard to choose.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 13:40:44 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Dazz, The installer cost was just to fit them in the rear & connect to the power cable of the reverse light so nothing technical involved there. The Kluger makes it so easy to run your cables, the main job is making sure you drill the holes in the correct places for the sensors. I was not to bothered about having the led indicator as I never used that in the i30, I was to busy watching in my mirrors and taking more notice of the beeper. The Mongoose kit as you say has been around for a while and cost $95 on Ebay and $109 at Autobarn. Realised that on the Kluger they fit two sensors on the black part of the rear bumper and the 2 outside ones a little higher up on the silver part, I would have to spray paint the 2 sensors silver.  I would rather have them all on the black part but the outside black part is a bit lower and the sensor would be sloping down slightly. Cant seem to find out if the sloping down slightly would be a problem, I don't want it triggering the alarm off  by sensing the rd when reversing. Just thinking that when I get a kit I may just tape a sensor onto the outside lower part of the bumper and connect it up and see if it operates ok. Oh well I will have to give it a bit more thought. :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 13:45:16 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cant seem to find out if the sloping down slightly would be a problem, I don't want it triggering the alarm off  by sensing the rd when reversing. Just thinking that when I get a kit I may just tape a sensor onto the outside lower part of the bumper and connect it up and see if it operates ok. Oh well I will have to give it a bit more thought. :goodjob2:

I would say the sloping down could be a problem as my Toyota rear sensors are fairly sensitive to a bit of road behind that slopes up...  :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yeah, I'd 3D print a pair of angled bezels to get them to point out level from the dark section. :whistler:

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, I'd 3D print a pair of angled bezels to get them to point out level from the dark section. :whistler:

Nice of you to offer Gonz.  :happydance: I don't care what Elena says abou you.. I reckon you are ok!   :victory:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Thanks for the offer Gonz that is very nice of you. There is no end to your talent with that 3D printer. I followed all the post regarding the cord button for the i30 that you made.  :goodjob2: Will have to decide exactly where I will fit the sensors, very technical I know  :lol:  May put this project on hold for a few weeks as the reverse camera screen in the Kluger in my opinion is crap, it is about the size of a postage stamp so may get an Alpine ILX F259 head unit fitted first. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal