HOw To Lock a Passenger In My Car

AlanHo · 5 · 1493

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
A couple of days ago I was out in the car with my wife and stopped at a shop to pick up my newspaper. She remained in the car. As I always do by habit, as I walked away I used the key fob to lock the car. Unfortinately, I got chatting with a friend who was in the shop. When I returned to the car my wife was spitting feathers - she had decided she wanted something from the shop whilst I was in there, but couldn't get out of the car. The door handle would not open the door and the small unlock lever could not be moved.

After doing some experiments I confirmed this behaviour

You learn something every day !

With time on my hands today I decided to verify the problem - sure enough If I sit in the car and lock it with the fob, the door handle does nowt and the lock lever above it is not moveable, hence the doors do not unlock.

Furthermore, the unlock button in the drivers armrest is muted and cannot open the doors.

I appreciate that it is an unlikely scenario for driver to lock the car with the fob whilst there is a passenger in the car - but I did.

Had I have realised that I had locked management in the car as I walked away, and used the fob to unlock the doors, they would unlock - but - if didn't open a door within 30 seconds, the doors would automatically lock again thus creating the same problem. Its a no win scenario

If this is standard behaviour for a 2021 UK Niro HEV 3 I have some concern about safety.

I have made this video to demonstate the problem. T'would be nice to know if the cars of owners of similat Hyundai  models have the same behaviour.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-s4I3qMWIPU?feature=share
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Whilst I didn't get the chance to investigate override options at the time, I had this happen to me in my son's Kona a few years ago.
I was in the passenger seat when he filled up with fuel and went inside to pay.
Not sure whether it locked automatically due to the distance or he pushed the button like you.
Either way, I couldn't open the doors till he came back.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My Ioniq will not lock the doors using the keyfob while said keyfob is in the car, ie in my hand.

Haven't checked the lock-your-better-half-inside trick, yet.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I could be wrong - often am according to management - but this is my theory.

My car has an old fashioned key fob with the pivoted key used to start the car. It is not keyless entry. Such a fob only emits electronic signals when you push a button

(The fob or card for a keyless entry car is emitting a signal all the time - which is why they can be stolen by the scum-bags with those signal capture devices).

Hence the car has no way of knowing where my fob is untl I press a button. Even then it doesn't know whether I'm inside or outside the car.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I could be wrong - often am according to management - but this is my theory.

My car has an old fashioned key fob with the pivoted key used to start the car. It is not keyless entry. Such a fob only emits electronic signals when you push a button

(The fob or card for a keyless entry car is emitting a signal all the time - which is why they can be stolen by the scum-bags with those signal capture devices).

Hence the car has no way of knowing where my fob is untl I press a button. Even then it doesn't know whether I'm inside or outside the car.
I subscribe to your theory, Alan. At least it's really handy for catching a thief until your bobbies arrive.  :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal