i30 Owners Club

ECU reprogramming

CraigB · 213 · 55306

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Well todays update didn't significantly change much at all, fixed the bottom end but still very rich up top so more modified tunes are still to come pulling out even more fuel till I get a 13.2:1 air/fuel ratio evenly across the whole rev range, once that is achieved it's time to start working on timing advances to get this car dancing :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow, it's a long and complicated process! :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Wow, it's a long and complicated process! :cool:

Hehe not simple, nor quick in the case of the i30 it seems - being the ECU can't be reprogrammed/mapped in real-time (which is annoying).   I also suspect there hasn't been too many GD i30 being aftermarket tuned (with or without mods), at least not ECU wise - which might be another reason mods are being done in EU (expertise to figure out what to touch).

Course the plus side is future GD i30 tuning done via. the same tuning system will probably be quicker - as they will have at least have a template (or knowledge of what works and doesn't), if not a (generically) tuned map that just gets tweaked for the specific vehicle.  And, depending on how the tweaking actually needs to be done, that might be doable locally via. the tuning system software.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah no live tunning :Pout: the programing company is based in New Zealand but they have people working for them from all around the world so currently most of my tunes are being written by one of their staff in Germany.

ibrokeit you are correct in that there hasn't been anyone who has modified one of these ECU's, there is one company in the UK who has for the KIA 1.6ltr but it's a very basic tune ( throttle response only ) and they are a very dodgy as RPW has dealt with them previously.

Learning where the parameters are is a major learning process for the team and very time consuming ( they've been complaining about the cost :rolleyes: ) but as mentioned it will also help future modders in that they'll then have the knowledge to do all the other Hyundai ECU's.

At this stage we've worked out that prior compensations for future mods such as cams -head work - supercharging wont be possible with the Hyundai ECU software, it just doesn't have the capabilities so the tunning being done now ( fuel - timing ) will be it's limits and any further mods will require a complete ECU upgrade to a Haltech or similar
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:24:04 by CraigB »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Cool on it being NZ based - go Kiwi!   Ahh I see - yeah, to an extent you don't need to be hands on.   And I see about the KIA - dodgy is not good in this kind of thing esp. if trying to get the best out of the resources currently connected to the engine.

Very much so on the parameters being a major job, some people would say "It is like hacking a computer programme from the binary" - I wouldn't say "like" because it isn't "like"...

It IS hacking a computer programme binary or, at least, the data it relies on.

For those who don't know... it is doing so directly without safeguards or checks (at least the first time - when you don't know what does what) - and usually no 'markers' because the ECU programming knows exactly where in memory each parameter is supposed to be.  All the person doing the hacking gets to see are the stored values from the memory locations and then try to figure out what is likely to be what from previous experience and pattern recognition.   Try it, see if it works, try something else - problem is trying in this case is flash ECU each time  :crazy1:   And, of course, you need to be somewhat careful - being it controls an engine.

BTW I use hacker in the sense of someone modifying programs and/or hardware to preform outside of the design intentions or manufacture parameters, not the mass-media definition which is most often 'black-hat' hacking done by 'black hat hackers' also know as 'crackers'.   Of course like everything IT just to be confusing - the Black Hat conference is in fact legitimate/good even though the name implies otherwise.

Good to know regards the future mods - yup complete ECU upgrade.  Or completely different from non-OEM firmware in the OEM ECU - see :link: Open Source/DIY EMS/ECU - not totally i30 related... - upgrading the ECU is probably easier and less time consuming and less expensive (unless you are into making new firmware for existing units).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:03:10 by ibrokeit »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A custom firmware might be possible but getting it to work properly with the hardware would be another task in itself as there are limitations in the Bosch hardware ( chips - boards ), not just software.

I think just using an aftermarket ECU ( Haltech's etc ) would be a better means, they come preinstalled with everything needed...they just need setting live on a dyno which I'm told would cost the same as what I'm doing now but with the expense of the initial purchase of a Haltech for about 2 - 2.5K

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hit a brick wall with the tunning at the moment, bloody useless software guys are saying that they cant work it out and are throwing their hands up wanting to put it in the to hard basket :disapp: I'll wait another few days while RPW keeps putting the pressure on them to get their thinking caps on and work it out...otherwise they're not getting paid :spitty:

It's looking more like a Haltech job, something I probably should have gone with in the first place :rolleyes:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Shit eh.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That's another way of putting it, not quite the words I used when talking with RPW :snigger:

Even at this stage though the tune is still better than standard but it's not what they promised :Pout: there is still much more to be improved upon with leaning out the top end fuel curve and advancing the timing.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Are they making the new Map while car on Dyno? Also this is fly by wire?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Drive by wire at the moment, but who knows  :exclaim: :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Are they making the new Map while car on Dyno? Also this is fly by wire?
No, maps are done by a software company in another country then flashed to ECU and run up on dyno for results then that info is sent off for further modifications, no live tunning for Hyundai ECU's.

Yes it's a drive-by wire throttle body, which has been tunned for better response as well as improved bottom end fuel curve...they just cant seem to work out how to improve/lean out the top end fuel curve or advance the timing, some code also require disabling on the exhaust sensors which they cant work out either :disapp:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 17:22:46 by CraigB »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Bugger.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Got another re-worked tune to go in on Friday, I'm told the file codes for this next flash are all matching the areas we were concerned with ( AFR's after 4000rpm and timing ) so fingers crossed :fingers:

RPW blew their stack at the software guys and the big boss was called in to whip em into shape :toldyou:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Brilliant, I wont take my imaginary business elsewhere yet.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'll be right when you need to do your ECU Tim :goodjob2: it's just these new Bosch ECU's with the tricore chips that Hyundai are using, the 1024bit security encryption that prevents tuning via the OBD port is a pain also :crazy1:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:28:00 by CraigB »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Yeah im not going to a GD running gear. Me wants the Beta2 in an Accent.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah im not going to a GD running gear. Me wants the Beta2 in an Accent.
As long as it doesn't have post 2009 ECU with the factory firmware upgrade that locks the ECU via the OBD port with their 1024bit encryption you'll be fine.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Yeah.....nah, its a 2003 non cvvt  :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Need to scrap the old Accent then go pick up the Elantra once im back home. Between sorting out building the new house.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Made some headway with the tune today, power and torque is up a bit more with timing advances but the AFR's got richer.

There isn't much left to do with the timing so concentrating solely on leaning out the fuel curve is just the main concern now which will add another few ponies, Alientech ( software tuners ) have also managed today to open some more of the locked files which is looking positive so hopefully they'll get everything done and sorted with the next file upload then it'll be finished...and I'll be a happy man :)

This is a pic from todays run compared against the prior tune, power is up to 135hp at the "axels" now which is up from 135ps ( 133hp ) at the flywheel so it's quite an improvement considering the drop in the AFR's.
The solid lines are the new tune, dotted are the prior tune.

Fuel economy is still in the mid to high 4's, 2ltrs per 100km's better than standard.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:39:50 by CraigB »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
To the untrained eye (which mine are) the torque and power improvements in the 2 to 3000 rev range look marginal.  I was rather expecting plus 10% on each - but I always was the supreme optimist

It would appear that your biggest improvement might be economy rather than grunt.

However - you have had your frustrations with the project - but I bet it's been fun.............. :goodjob:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
To the untrained eye (which mine are) the torque and power improvements in the 2 to 3000 rev range look marginal.  I was rather expecting plus 10% on each - but I always was the supreme optimist

It would appear that your biggest improvement might be economy rather than grunt.

However - you have had your frustrations with the project - but I bet it's been fun.............. :goodjob:
Alan your forgetting that the small improvement you see there is from the last tune " not the factory tune ", factory tune is much lower but I don't have a copy of it.

Basically the hp and torque shown there is what would have originally been at the engine but is now at the wheels so it's quite a significant improvement with still a little more to come yet with leaning out the fuel curve.
Once the fuel is leaned out it should roughly be the same improvement again as shown between those two runs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:04:02 by CraigB »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Oh I see - thanks for the explanation.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Another thing to mention is that there was no base run done with the standard exhaust, only a map was taken then modified and first run was with the new exhaust system so you don't see the improved gain over the standard exhaust system which was where the largest gains were made.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Did they take a copy of the factory settings so the car can be returned when you sell?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Did they take a copy of the factory settings so the car can be returned when you sell?
They do have a copy of the factory tune though it wouldn't be any good to use with a modified exhaust.

There also wouldn't be any need/want to install the factory tune as it's crap compared to now, factory tune was less hp used more fuel and was no where near as smooth.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Craig , thanks for posting the dyno, there is no weather settings info just the SAE but thats good as can compare old tune settings no matter what the weather on day. looks on rich side like you have said there is more in there just leaning it out.
TQ is good just all over the place need to smooth that out, if you can, but thats a lot more TQ than the factory and at the axle not from flywheel. with the programable throttle you can tune them to perfection if you know how. but if they are having problems they are a PIA.
the gain from the last tune is a good one that you will feel, but when you get AFR right there is more, that TQ is nearly up with the CRDi 1.6 but as it's all over the place right now and the CRDi has a flat 1,900 to 3,200 260nm. also this just shows at rpm not time so can't tell how quick it spooled up.
still great job.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks Lakes :goodjob2: I didn't think the TQ curve was to bad to be honest ( 128 ft-lbs = 173.5 Nm at the axles, factory is 120 ft-lbs = 163 Nm at the flywheel ) but we'll see what happens after they correct the AFR's, that alone could make all the difference as it's running ridiculously rich now which I can really feel in the throttle response ( and smell :sicky: )  even though power and TQ did rise slightly.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal