i30 Owners Club

Upgrade 2017 i30 PD head unit without CarPlay to bigger 8" variant with CarPlay

Offline i30life

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
Can I upgrade a 2017 i30 (third gen/PD) head unit without CarPlay to the bigger 8" variant with Apple CarPlay?

I think the existing one is around 5", but without CarPlay, and I would really really love that.

I see on Youtube that others replace the head unit (even to the newest 10"+ unit from N-line), but cannot find enough details, other that the physical part seems to be plug and play between the head unit variants (agree?). But is there any code(s) needed or other setup requirements?

And a recommended place/way to buy a unit?

Would be very happy if it's possible, and eager to give it a go, with proper instructions.
  • i30 2017 PD 5 door stc/estate, petrol 1.0 T-GDI, man, silver

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
PD i30 should have factory carplay through the usb port no need to change the head unit.
  • 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Offline i30life

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
Not available in all variants. Life and Life+ do not have it (small unit, not touch), but Trend and Premium do (with the 8" touch unit). First generations have wired CarPlay, newer have wireless.

So the question remains - has anyone had succes replacing the smaller, less capable (no CarPlay or touch) unit, with the 8" touch unit, to unlock CarPlay and possibly other features as well.

I would expect some coding / setup of some sort on the unit and car software perhaps. How to do that, and who would know howto?

Offline i30life

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
It seems some users (besides the mechanics) can enter "Engineering mode" on the 8" head unit, so the question is if anyone would know how to configure it correctly if moved from a higher model variant to this Life+.

I've asked the Hyundai dealer about the upgrade, but they just say it can't be done, but I'm not convinced that's a can't, but rather a won't - to protect the model options.

Offline i30life

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
I found this related thread now, which I will continue in:

:link: How to change headunit in i30 PD 5" to 8" OEM

Offline i30life

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
It seems I cannot post/reply in the other thread I just found and mentioned previously. It seems from that thread that there is hope for the project. A few clarifying questions?

When upgrading from a 5" unit with touch/smart functions/carplay, my steering wheel buttons are labeled somewhat differently than on models with native 8" touch interface. For instance I have a mute label on the upper left button instead of a "talk/siri" label. After upgrading, will the button then work as intended for siri activation?

Any reason not to go for the 8" with navigation? If easy to buy and install GPS receiver? I won't use the built-in NAV, but I would love if the compass could show up in dashboard, as I've always wanted such a feature when cruising around. Will that work, even coming from a 5" with no NAV?

If going for model without NAV, it won't have an SD-card-reader either. How do you then update firmware? And firmware on SD, is that only for the head unit, or also for the car itself, like dashboard menus?

Can I have wireless CarPlay if choosing a certain head unit, og will it be wired only?

Will the parking sensors I currently have (no camera) still work like now, included graphics in dashboard (not head unit)? Or will graphics also be on head unit, but without camera?

Lastly, it would be cool if anyone could confirm the 10.25" upgrade also working from an original 5" model.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 20:46:32 by i30life »

Offline i30life

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
Can anyone help explain why I can only reply to my own threads, and not threads started by others? Like this one :link: How to change headunit in i30 PD 5" to 8" OEM.

I am on my way making the replacement, and have acquired an 8" AVN without navi, specifically a 96160G4000PMP as recommended in this thread.

:link: Ako nato: Výmena OEM rádia 5" Audio za 8" AVN s navi/bez (BONUS schémy Facelift verzie) - Hyundai fórum Slovensko

To my surprise, it does not seem to have any support for DAB, only FM. The DAB antenna plug from the old 5" radio (the one with buttons below screen) has no connector to plug into in the new 8" AVN without navi.

I did not think support for DAB in todays world would be an issue/option, thought it was always present. What do I need to get DAB-support? I really appreciate that. Can it be that only the models with NAVI have it? Although that sounds a bit odd.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: i30life
Can anyone help explain why I can only reply to my own threads, and not threads started by others?

Threads get auto-locked after 2 years without updates.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal