i30 Owners Club

Loud resonating noise at speed

Offline Andy421

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Dublin
I bought a second hand 2012 i30 last year, 180km on the clock. I have a very annoying issue at the moment. it only starts on longer drives.... after about 15 mins of driving at spreed, a resonating noise starts, seems to come from the front. I've linked the sound file.
Recent work to try resolve the issue, 4 new hankook tyes, all balanced, bent tie rods were replaced and bearings done too.

The noise is not all the time, it comes and goes every few minutes. Its pretty loud and alarming for any passengers. In the clip, when the noise drops off that is me touching the brakes.... could it be a loose brake calliper or something like that? Really weird that for the first 15 to 20 mins of driving there is no noise. Any help much appreciated....

Resonating noise

• 2012 1.4 CRDi

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Were the tie rods bent? How did you know they were bent? If the noise goes away after braking then it's possibly linked to the brakes, have you checked the pads and made sure the caliper piston isn't seized, also check all the bolt fixings are tight.

Offline Andy421

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Dublin
when i brought it to my mechanic... he had a look at a few things, the tracking, balancing was done and he asked me had I run into a bump as the tie rods were bent (I hadn't). So I had the rods replaced...the noise persists. He did wonder after if it was the brake calliper. I'm just concerned about going down a rabbit hole of replacing everything. But i've a few long drives coming up and cannot put up with the noise so need to sort it. I'll get the brakes checked and report back.
  • 2012 1.4 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal