i30 Owners Club

Radio turned itself on

Duke750 · 12 · 4096

Offline Duke750

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Buderim
I know this sounds bizarre, but the radio turned itself on.

It has happened twice - once while the service manager was wriggling around under the steering wheel listening to an alien sound (see separate steering rack replacement thread) and once when I was driving to work.

I suspect that the Hyundai iPod cable is to blame, because I have been having inconsistent problems with the stereo recognising my iPod.

Any one else having similar problems?

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi duke,
when you have a usb in the usb drive of the car if you turn it off the stereo and turn the car off then when u go to turn the car on it will switch itself on because its providing power to the usb drive. i think thats how it is. hope this helps a little bit as ive noticed nobody else has said anything.

cheers
ash

ouri30
Quote from: "awj2005"
hi duke,
when you have a usb in the usb drive of the car if you turn it off the stereo and turn the car off then when u go to turn the car on it will switch itself on because its providing power to the usb drive. i think thats how it is. hope this helps a little bit as ive noticed nobody else has said anything.

cheers
ash

Actually, if you leave the USB in the slot after turning the stereo off before switching the car off, it does not turn itself on when you turn on the ignition.  It remains in the state you left it - off in this case.

So i guess I am imlying that this could not be the casue of the stereo turning itself on.

Bob

Offline Duke750

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Buderim
I can understand the usb device turning itself on when the car is turned on. But I actually turned it off mid-drive, and it turned itself on a few minutes later. True dink!

ouri30
Quote from: "ouri30"
can understand the usb device turning itself on when the car is turned on. But I actually turned it off mid-drive, and it turned itself on a few minutes later. True dink!

Blimy.  Somethin' ain't right there.  I would  figure that if the stereo was off and a USB device were plugged in, then it would turn on, but not if you switch it off and then after a while it switches back on.  That is bizzare.

Bob

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey im pretty sure you have volume controls on ur steering wheel im assuming? if u press and hold mode it turns off the stereo and if u press mode once it turns the stereo on, u might have dun that? i only found out about this when fidling when the car a couple weeks ago.

hope this helps
ash

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline Duke750

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Buderim
Found the problem. My iPod. The stereo turns itself on when my old 30GB Classic is conneted, but when my partner's new 8GB Nano is connected it behaves itself.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

damn. I was going to buy a 30gig ipod just for this car. I figured a 30gig would be better than the small 8gigs. But now the quandary is that it might not work at all, and I'll have wasted my $$$. Oh woe is me. Thanks for the update Duke. Your next quest is to find out if it's just YOUR 30gig or ALL 30gigs. If it's just yours, can you get it replaced under warranty!?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd be interested too... I've only been using a memory stick but have a surround system at home that has an ipod dock so might have to take the plunge... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The other thing to watch out for is that Apple have changed something in the Generation 4 Nano, it no longer charges when connected even with the proper cable so you are using the ipod battery all the time. :'(
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Duke750

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Buderim
Oh, that explains why the nano went flat.

I would still prefer the 30GB to the Nano!!! So, it turns itself on. I think that might be because it is soooo old.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal