i30 Owners Club

Clunking brake

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
I only noticed this this morning when driving to work.  When I press my foot on the brake pedal, it clunks.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I've yet to call Hyundai to ask if this can be looked at, in case it's a one off thing.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi again Vanessa. Sorry to hear you think you might have a problem...

I don't have your spec i30 but what you posted doesn't sound normal.

What kind of "clunk" is it? Does it feel like something moving forwards in the engine bay when you brake? Does it clunk immediately you press the brake pedal, or is it after a few seconds depression? Can this problem be reproduced, if [say] the Hyundai dealer were to take it for a ride?

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Could be the rotors are out-of-round.  Shouldnt happen so early tho, unless they have been subjected to high heat loads (like the handbrake being left on or resting your left foot on the brake while driving in an automatic)  I'd get it checked out ASAP.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Get to dealer ASAP and have them look at it before the brakes fail and you have an accident.

As you have already mentioned it to them if you have to make an insurance claim they may be funny and refuse to compensate you etc etc.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Driving home that day, I didn't hear/feel the clunk and driving it yesterday it was OK but I noticed it again this morning.  As soon as I put my foot on the pedal, I hear/feel it.

I've yet to contact Hyundai.  Will give them a buzz today.

I just can't determine if I can FEEL the clunk or HEAR it.  Sounds strange I know.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

So I had my 7500km service (yes...already and my baby is only 2 1/2 months old) and I took the mechanic with me for a drive, so he could hear the clunk.  He heard it and thought it interesting.  Pick up the car and problem still there.  They're not sure what it is.  They've referred it to Hyundai, something called a GSW.  They'll wait til they hear back from Hyundai to see what to do and if anyone else has had a similar problem.

My 7500km service cost me $239.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
They've referred it to Hyundai, something called a GSW. 
GSW stands for Global Service Way, it's a bit like a forum where dealers can list curly problems they are having and Hyundai and other dealers can respond and offer suggestions and fixes that have worked in the past for them. I always found it a brilliant resource. Please let us know what it is when they work it out.  :wink:

Offline tiny

• 3rd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
i had the same problem, or at least ,i think i did. my breakpedal made a noise, like clunk,or a pop, but only when i pressed it gently, and in first 1 or 2 cm of pushing it. they fixed it at the shop two months ago but now it seems to be back again. i think they just greased the pedal a bit.

Offline jay

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Mines making a clunky noise after releasing the break.. only after its pushed firmly down

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Sorry to hear you're having problems Pik.
I recall awhile ago Daniel (whitbomb07) posting a similar thread about clunking when braking.
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1834.0.html

It doesn't have a solution, but at least you're not the only one.
Daniel's clunk occurred under heavy braking which was probably just the brakes gripping, but your's definitely doesn't sound right.
Lets hope they can find whats wrong!

Cam

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Issue is still unresolved, but due to have 15,000 service in a few weeks and I'll bring it up again, as it's very annoying.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal