i30 Owners Club

Drivers door handle sticking open

tji30 · 5 · 2232

Offline tji30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

• Toowoomba, Queensland - White i30 SR (at last)
I've found in the last few days that the drivers door handle is sticking in the open position. I pull the handle & get in the car, shut the door but the latch won't engage so the door won't stay shut. I then need to open the window & tape the handle which then pops right back in & we're good to go.

I was going to ignore it but it's happened too often now so I've raised it with the local Hy service department & they'll check it out on Monday when I take it in for the 1000km "inspection" (by which time the car will have done about 1300km).

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
So does the handle actually stick out and not return flush to the door, or does it seem to return but not actually release the internal mechanism?

Weird one that.

Sounds like a few faulty i30's came out just after their factory strike ended last year  :-[
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tji30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

So does the handle actually stick out and not return flush to the door, or does it seem to return but not actually release the internal mechanism?

The handle actually sticks out in the fully extended position. Not every time & a slight tap will make it pop right back in. The internal mechanism only fails when the handle remains stuck out. As soon as I tap it closed the door will shut properly.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Exact same thing happened to me yesterday, although it was the rear passenger side door.  I tried to purposefully make it stick again by pulling on off-center angles etc but wouldnt stick.  Hopefully it doesnt happen again.

Offline tji30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

Got the car serviced & they checked out the sticking door handle. Service Manager said they found the inards dry & in need of lubrication. Certainly feels much smoother now (didn't feel bad in the first place though). Makes me want to have them check the other 3 doors at the next service (7500km, at which time I'll have the oil changed, then I'll do the 15000 & then stick to 15000km intervals).

At one stage I thought I had a problem with the stereo as well because sound was only coming out of the LHS set of speakers. When I switched it from iPod to radio, however, sound returned to normal. Turned out the iPod cable was not quite plugged in properly!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal