i30 Owners Club

Tssmania - Peppermint Bay Lunch Cruise & Steamfest Shefield

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Had a business trip to Tassie recently so we decided to make a long weekend of it & catch up with a couple of things on my to-do list & family.

Flew into Hobart - DW's knee has gone on her (booked in for replacement this Fri 13th :Shocked:) so flight crew offered the hoist.

Friday took day off & did the Peppermint Bay Lunch Cruise - our new Antarctic research ship in Salamander Bay

Hobart dock area - Mt Wellington in background & Constitution Dock on RHS (Where the Sydney to Hobart yachts tie up after race.

In the background is the Tasman Bridge spanning the River Derwent

And a bit of history:
On Sunday 5 January 1975, at 9:27 p.m. Australian Eastern Summer Time, the Tasman Bridge was struck by the bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra, bound for the Electrolytic Zinc Company with a cargo of 10,000 tons of zinc concentrate. It caused two pylons and three sections of concrete decking, totaling 127 metres (417 ft), to fall from the bridge and sink the ship. Seven of the ship's crewmen were killed, and five motorists died when four cars drove over the collapsed sections before the traffic was stopped.
Story has it, it cost more to repair the bridge than it did to build the whole bridge.

After leaving dock area we turned right & headed South between mainland & Bruney Isl.

One the way down we passed a number of salmon farm pens - interestingly the seabed under these pens is regularly monitored for sediment & if it builds up too much, they up anchor & tow to a new location.

Berthed @ Peppermint Bay Hotel for lunch - Oysters, Salmon, 15th hour baked Lamb & desert.

Saturday a quick run up the centre of Tassie via the lakes district heading for Steamfest @ Shefield - had a VW Golf for a rental car. Nice car & as it had android auto I got to have a play.

An old steam shovel & rockbreaker

Also had the trackor pulling comp

Lighthorseman display

And our great nieces dressed up in period costume

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:26:25 by i30premy »
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Nice photos Neville :goodjob:

Sheffield is a nice quirky little town isn't it, lovely cafes and bakery there with beautiful murals on many of the buildings.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good to hear from you Neville. Looked like a great trip. Thanks for the excellent photos.   :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Great pics.
An old high school class mate and her husband live in Sheffield.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great photo's

:weneedpics:

:ta:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
You're welcome, got an Uluru trip booked for Sept so can post more pics from that.

Did have a trip to China & Vietnam planned in the next couple of months, but due to DW's knee op, everything has been put on hold.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal