i30 Owners Club

Good fleet buy? i30 blue drive 1.6 CRDi Active

immx · 22 · 4938

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
Hi all!

I'm a newbie and this is my first post so I apologise is this has been covered (I did look)!

I'm acting fleet manager for a company with a small fleet (5 cars), which we are looking to replace.

We are going to be buying outright for the first time and we are attracted mainly by the warranty, as we are going to be doing around 40-50,000 miles a year in the cars.

I have three main question which I'm hoping you guys can help with.

Is the i30 blue drive 1.6 CRDi Active a good fleet buy?

Is the 60,000 mile service pack for £600 worth it?

How much do you think the cars will be worth after 3yrs/ 120-150,000 miles?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hi and welcome.
I'm going to leave this to some of our U.K. members who will be able to give you a more accurate response.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi immx  :whsaid:

Hope Alan and some of our other knowledgeable UK members see this post  :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Greetings immx, what is your current fleet  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The i30 CRDi 110PS Active Blue drive is aimed at getting Hyundai a bigger share of the fleet market.  The 5 year unlimited miles warranty must be very attractive and in your case better value than the 7 year limited mileage warranty from KIA for similar vehicles from the same stable.

As you will read if you browse this forum, the i30 is a fine car with an excellent engine and a solid reliability record. The new model enjoys zero road tax, low fuel consumption (but don't expect it to achieve the government figures- most high mileage fleets probably achieve an average of 58 to 60 mpg) a low insurance group of possibly 12E and your employees should be happy with a BIK Tax rating of just 13.

Difficult to predict trade-in values for the new model which has yet to build up a record - but the previous car after 3 years and 120,000 miles would possibly achieve £5000 to £7000 dependent on what you trade them in against

Your best bet for comparing servicing costs would be to get estimates from a couple of Hyundai main dealers for each of the routine services. The car has main service intervals of 20,000 miles or 24 months which compares more than favourably with the competition.  I declined the service plan when I bought my new i30 in April 2012 because in my circumstances (12,000 miles per year) it would not have given me much of a saving - if any.  Remember that you are not obligated to use Hyundai for servicing - any reputable VAT registered garage can do the work provided they follow the Hyundai service schedule and use Hyundai or reputable equivalent parts. With 5 cars you have a strong case to argue for a good servicing packege with Hyundai dealers or a good independent.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Is the i30 blue drive 1.6 CRDi Active a good fleet buy?

Sorry can't help here as mine is petrol

Is the 60,000 mile service pack for £600 worth it?

When I bought with my car they were doing 3 years @ £300?

Has that promotion stopped?

From memory for my first i30 crdi the costs were (approx):
1st/3rd £180.00
2nd £240.00
total = £600

Course cost may have increased since.

May be as part of the purchase of 5 new cars you could fix the service cost with the dealer.

How much do you think the cars will be worth after 3yrs/ 120-150,000 miles?

Have you checked out Parker's as it has a section which will calculate cost including depreciation.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
Thanks for the replies.

No they still do the 3year/30,000 mls servicing for £300 or 6yrs/60,000 mls for £600

Given the mileage we do, I ignored the 30,000 mile pack as that would only be 9months worth!

We currently run Nissan note 1.5dci, on a three year lease. The board are thinking that at the end of the lease, not only do we have nothing to show for it, but normally get a huge bill for minor scratches and knocks, hence why we are now looking to buy outright.

I have already beaten the dealer down to a good price, but there may still be a bit more to squeeze, I've got the test drive booked this week so we'll see how it goes.

At the moment, it's come down to a short list of the Alfa mito sprint 1.3jtdm and the i30 active.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

6yrs/60,000 mls for £600

That's 6 services - 4 minor and 2 major so looking at circa £1200 plus
At £600 that is 50% of what it would cost so worth considering..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex

6yrs/60,000 mls for £600

That's 6 services - 4 minor and 2 major so looking at circa £1200 plus
At £600 that is 50% of what it would cost so worth considering..

Sorry I got that slightly wrong, it's 3yrs/60,000 miles so 3 services for £600 as its got a 20,000 service interval.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I can't believe you would consider the Alfa Mito a suitable car to compare with an i30. In my opinion (and look at the J D power survey) the Alfa is less reliable and more expensive to run. It is a pretty car for females and posers - not really a fleet tool.

If you want to make a proper comparison with another brand - then look at the Skoda offerings. Good reliable vehicles at low prices - but more expensive to run and not exactly an attractive modern vehicle to inflict upon valuable staff.

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
On paper, the Alfa is slightly cheaper to run, claimed 80mpg vs the i30s claimed 76 mpg, and it's cheaper to buy..... BUT that is all it has going for it!

It's not totally my decision, but I do have the power of veto. Personally I think the Mito looks good, but it's too small, the warranty is only 3years, and shaky reliability, so I think the i30 is looking good.

As for Skoda etc, the 60,000 mile warranty is no good at all! The board are thinking of keeping these cars to 150,000 miles.

I'll let you know how the test drive goes!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I'll let you know how the test drive goes!

:whistler:  I'm not normally smug but I see you becoming a long term member on here  :goodjob:

Thanks Alan (and Lester) I knew "we" could help  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

As I said before - the government economy figures are totally misleading. There is no way you will ever get 76 mpg out of the i30 - other than cruising at 1900 rpm on a dead flat road with just the driver in the car and a tail wind. As soon as you drive into an urban environment or traffic - economy will plummet. A privately owned car driven by a hypermiler might be able to squeeze an average 66 mpg out of the i30 provided speed is kept below 60 mph and 90% of the journeys are long motorway runs. Your average rep who dashes about the country will probably get at best an average of 55 mpg - and a guy in a hurry with a heavy foot will only achieve 50 mpg.  The Mito will be no different.

I still cannot believe your company consider the Mito a suitable company car - unless your staff fall into the category of people who prefer (and pay extra for) - pretty and 'pink' over practical.

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
I know the figures are next to useless, just there to compaire one car against another. The note claims 67mpg, we get an average of 54mpg across the fleet, with my driving "style" getting 48mpg!

I hope the drive does go well,  I can tell you that around 300,000 miles over the last 5.5years in a fiesta and a Nissan note have none my back no good at all!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Don't know much about the English side of things (or the new model for that fact), but I do know that Hyundai are bloody well put together and will give you years of trouble free motoring.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

What warranty does Hyundai UK provide for fleet cars?
I was under the impression (for some reason) that the 5 year unlimited km warranty over here was for private buyers only. :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

What warranty does Hyundai UK provide for fleet cars?
I was under the impression (for some reason) that the 5 year unlimited km warranty over here was for private buyers only. :undecided:

Oooooops - you may have a point.

However - my guess is that a large fleet could possibly get a good warranty deal.

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
In the UK, Hyundai apply the same 5 year warranty unlimited mileage to fleet buyers as well as private buyers. The only exceptions are cars used for taxis/ mini cabs and couriers.

It makes sense with what alanho said before about Hyundai going after the company car market very hard with the i30.

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
Well I had the test drive today and it all went well. A few small negative points about the car, but overall it was good!

The biggest problem was that I missed the in dash sat nav I currently have. I have asked the dealer to quote on the style nav but I think that will be too dear.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Well I had the test drive today and it all went well. A few small negative points about the car, but overall it was good!

The biggest problem was that I missed the in dash sat nav I currently have. I have asked the dealer to quote on the style nav but I think that will be too dear.

Before you decide - try the i30 sat-nav. I was not impressed with the high cost of map updates quoted, the lack of full UK post codes, the screen attracts finger prints like flies on horse muck and the map display and spoken instructions are nowhere near as clear as my Garmin Nuvi. The extra cost of around a thousand was too high for me to pay to get a system less user friendly and less efficient than my Garmin.

The reversing camera was rather nice though.

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex

Before you decide - try the i30 sat-nav. I was not impressed with the high cost of map updates quoted, the lack of full UK post codes, the screen attracts finger prints like flies on horse muck and the map display and spoken instructions are nowhere near as clear as my Garmin Nuvi. The extra cost of around a thousand was too high for me to pay to get a system less user friendly and less efficient than my Garmin.

The reversing camera was rather nice though.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll seek one out and try it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal