i30 Owners Club

Oil question

Offline lyngo

• 2nd Gear
Well, it's been a bit over 3 months since I bought my ET.  I have 975 miles on the odometer.  My questions are:

1)  should i change my oil every 3 months or wait for 3000 miles? (I'll surely reach taht by the end of the summer). 
2)  what kind of oil should I use?  I've never even considered asking for a specific type of oil, but since buying a new car I've read of ratios  and synthetic vs non-synthetic.  I'm frankly confused and work too many hours each week to figure it out for myself.  Thank goodness for car forums!!   
3) where does one document the good care they take of their car?   

Lyn

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
What does the service book say? It should give you recommended service intervals and type of oil to use. If in the US it's the same as many other markets then you need a professional garage to do the service to validate they warranty. This may be different for you.

Every 3000 miles seems excessive to me for oil changes with modern semi or fully synth oils. I know there is a first change at 3000 in some markets, but surely not every 3000.

Pip
Well, it's been a bit over 3 months since I bought my ET.  I have 975 miles on the odometer.  My questions are:

1)  should i change my oil every 3 months or wait for 3000 miles? (I'll surely reach taht by the end of the summer). 
2)  what kind of oil should I use?  I've never even considered asking for a specific type of oil, but since buying a new car I've read of ratios  and synthetic vs non-synthetic.  I'm frankly confused and work too many hours each week to figure it out for myself.  Thank goodness for car forums!!   
3) where does one document the good care they take of their car?   

Lyn
Hi Lyn, if you press the search button and do a simple search on "oil" you will get 2 pages of threads which have discussed oil (as well as spoilers and toilets :-[). Your basic questions have been asked before.

Expecting you will have more questions, before we can offer any opinions you need to tell us what engine you have and in which country you reside.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I think the ET is only available as a petrol (gas) in the states.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal