i30 Owners Club

Question about emptying fuel tank

sopel · 7 · 3412

Offline sopel

• 2nd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bytom, Poland
I have one (maybe stupid) question.
What will happen if i would empty my fuel tank to zero.
Car stopped.
Is there any risk of damaging something in car ?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It's a fair question sopel. I too would like to know what others think might happen if the tank was drained to empty while driving...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CCsPack

• 2nd Gear

• Brisbane, QLD, Australia. 2009 i30 SLX CRDi Auto.
Another question sort of on the same subject.
Why does the DTE (distance til empty) just flash --- when down to 50Km?

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Besides the inherint risk of getting *junk* via the fuel bowser into the tank , which when run dry possibly pulls some of that through the fuel lines/injectors (not much of a risk on a new car) there probably isnt alot of a risk.

The DTE just flashes because car manufacturers hate to be wrong and have someone say 1km to empty when it runs out :)

My commodore often saw 0km's to empty then reset back up to about 15km's to empty then down again , rinse/repeat until you filled up (i'd watch litres used on its trip meter).

Offline Zombie

• 2nd Gear

• 1.6 CRDi (84.6 kW) Comfort, Finland
The high pressure fuel pump in the common rail system is lubricated only by the diesel that is being pressurized. When the diesel runs out, the pump is no longer lubricated properly although the car would stop rather soon after that. I think it is unlikely that the pump would be damaged.

Also you might need to extract the air from the fuel lines, it is shown in the owner's manual.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Fundamentally, it's not very good for the pump, it's a pain in the backside to bleed the fuel system if you get air all through it, and if you run it that low you increase the chances of getting crap in the fuel system, which is bad in a common rail diesel. Best to avoid running out if at all possible.  :wink:

As EpOcH said, the DTE just flashes below 50km because it's not a totally exact science and they don't want irate customers complaining that they ran out while the car says they have a few ks to go. They also don't really want you to use every last drop in the tank, as noted above.  :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
unless you know how to bleed the injectors,i wouldnt run it out.dealership may charge you a few hundred dollars to do it.  steve.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal