i30 Owners Club

Opening the boot

Offline rc_prestige

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Had my new i30 for almost 2 weeks now. Still loving it with my only slight regret being not getting the diesel, but I don't do enough K's to warrant it.

Anyway... I can't figure out if there is a way to open the boot whilst the car is running. There is no boot button that I can see anywhere, and when I press the boot button  on the key it doesn't do anything. I've had to turn the car off, get out and then open in.

Actually you know what, as I'm typing this I think I just figured it out... the unlock doors button should unlock the boot right? Feeling stupid now
  • i30 Premium

ouri30
In the FD, once you open one of the front doors, the boot can be opened.  I assume it is rather obvious, in that opening one of these doors means that someone from the car is out and may want access to the hatch.  Of course you are correct in your assumption that using the central locking will unlock the hatch.

Don't have a GD yet, so can't comment how the latest model operates.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
In my antique FD i30, I can press and hold the centre boot unlock button to release the lock.

And don't feel stupid. That's my job :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
If you really want to know stupid,until you all started talking about I didn't even realise I had a boot button on the key of either Bruce or Cyril,is there a boot latch in the front of the car as well that I've also failed to see,I'm real observant,mind you this is from a bloke who drove Bruce for almost 4000K's before I was informed he had a sixth gear :whistler:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If you really want to know stupid,until you all started talking about I didn't even realise I had a boot button on the key of either Bruce or Cyril,is there a boot latch in the front of the car as well that I've also failed to see,I'm real observant,mind you this is from a bloke who drove Bruce for almost 4000K's before I was informed he had a sixth gear :whistler:

:snigger: :snigger: :snigger: :snigger:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
The boot doesn't pop open like other models. At the centre of the boot, if you slide your hand under the gap, there's a latch/hande thing (must like a door handle). Press it in and your boot should open :)

And not stupid at all. You should have seen me at the petrol station just now trying to get the petrol door to pop open (the other half and I are currently not on speaking terms over it   :lol:)
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
In my antique FD i30, I can press and hold the centre boot unlock button to release the lock.

And don't feel stupid. That's my job :P

My key fob has a boot unlock button but it's never worked. However I just went out and tried again, pressing harder and holding it a fraction longer. It worked. :goodjob:
At first I thought Shambles post was suggesting there was a "centre boot unlock button" in the centre of the car somewhere.  :-[

Only 3 years and a few months old, my car.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
And not stupid at all. You should have seen me at the petrol station just now trying to get the petrol door to pop open (the other half and I are currently not on speaking terms over it   :lol:)

This sounds good, Please Explain ! :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Not much to explain-typical day around these parts  :P If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all!

Me outside the car, husband in drivers seat. Me pressing and pressing and pressing and nothing happening. Pressing gets more and more frantic and I start looking frazzled. Husband says to check the manual so I tell him it's on the table at home from when I was reading about the car. Telling off ensues, a little yelling, some rude comments towards each other, lack of talking for another hour and then all is good as we pretend nothing happened  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Making up can be fun  :whistler:

Glad to hear someone else has a relationship like mine, thanks for the reply  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Glad to hear someone else has a relationship like mine

Haha, same!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Me outside the car, husband in drivers seat. Me pressing and pressing and pressing and nothing happening. Pressing gets more and more frantic and I start looking frazzled. Husband says to check the manual so I tell him it's on the table at home from when I was reading about the car. Telling off ensues, a little yelling, some rude comments towards each other, lack of talking for another hour and then all is good as we pretend nothing happened  :whistler:

Well did you get it open!!!!!!!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Well did you get it open!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl: Forgot the most important part of the story!

Err yes. After I pressed it a gazillion times and we turned the car on and back off again once or twice.......turns out it was me that was the problem (shh, don't tell the husband though!).....you need to press in the middle to make it open, not the edge  :idea:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
But never, admit it.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

But never, admit it.  :D

Never do  :whistler: Innocent until proven guilty!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal