i30 Owners Club

Poor coating quality / durability

peon2t · 13 · 4671

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
In various situations I have found the coating durability of the coating of my i30 GD to be a bit poor.

But what I experienced today is outrageous:

I stored a big postal package (just some cardboard box) on the backseats.
When I had to get it out, I wasn't able to open the door fully becaus of a nerby parked car so in the act of taking the box out of the car I touched the coating of my i30 (with the cardboard box!)
After that I noticed that the coating came off where te cardboard touched the car.

Now it's only a small scratch (maybe 4 millimeters) so it's not a real problem for itself. But I must say that I'm very surprised respectively shocked that the coating of my car obviously can't withstand some carton.  I mean really... it was common soft cardboard and I didn't scratch it with force along the coating or something.

What happens next? Will the paint be washed away under heavy rain?

Did anybody make a similar experience?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is sad to hear.. I thought Hyundai paint quality was slowly improving.

We did seem to get more paint complaints for euro built cars of the FD series  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm a bit confused.
Are we talking about the outside paint or the inside trim of the door?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'm a bit confused.

If we are talking about paint, I would say I still have my doubts whether the paint on hyundai cars is as good as other brands.

Have just washed my 1 1/2 year old car today and there are stone chips galore. At each point, the car has lost the layer of paint. Has much more than I remember my previous Mazda having in an equivalent time period.

Anyone know what's the best method to prevent further deterioration and eventual rust in an area of a stone chip?

• MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Anyone know what's the best method to prevent further deterioration and eventual rust in an area of a stone chip?

I'd just buy a paint pen in the appropriate colour from Hyundai and touch them up...

Or you could just give the car (including chip) a polish which will most likely prevent rust forming... :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Mitre 10 are selling a scratch pen that, "removes scratches", haven't bought one, but the video demo looks impressive though, check it out next time.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'd just buy a paint pen in the appropriate colour from Hyundai and touch them up...

Or you could just give the car (including chip) a polish which will most likely prevent rust forming... :undecided:

Or park the car in a de-humidified garage at a suitable computer-controlled ambient temperature, make sure there are no gaps under doors, windows, etc, lock up the garage and never use the car again.

I've heard this works.

It keeps the kms down too.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You should know  :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region

Or park the car in a de-humidified garage at a suitable computer-controlled ambient temperature, make sure there are no gaps under doors, windows, etc, lock up the garage and never use the car again.

I've heard this works.

It keeps the kms down too.  :D

Awesome! I was looking for an alternative to bubble wrap and I've just found it!
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
I'm a bit confused.

The outside paint.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks, that's disappointing.
I haven't had any issues with either the last car or (yet) this one.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Re what Rusty said:     "Or you could just give the car (including chip) a polish which will most likely prevent rust forming",..... when I did the Jetseal job over the Christmas break, I was amazed how many stone chips there were on the bonnet... :faint: :scared:

Under the vivid Blue colour, the undercoat seems to be white, so it does tend to stand out.  My impression was that after the polish and 109 treatment, the chips were actually more visible, in fact I washed it yesterday and thought that I had some white "insect spots" on the bonnet, but , alas, they were all small stone chips... :Pout:

I have not seen many cars with a lexan bonnet protector, are they available? :confused:
 Mind you, many of the chips are higher up the bonnet than a 4" strip of acrylic will protect...

I think it IS touch up pen time, not sure how good they are for a metallic colour like that on Elle B :undecided:

BUT, the shine is sure there after the jetseal treatment....and the water just comes off so easy with a chamois or microfiber cloth...as per my avatar.. :happydance:

Cheers
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Tony,

I posted a picture some time ago of a Nissan Pulsar almost the same colour as your CW with a bonnet protector on it that had been sprayed with the car colour on the under side. I am not a big fan of bonnet protectors but this looked really good and made it a lot less obvious (but still offered protection)

I have some spray for the Hybrid so am tempted to try it  :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal