Road Camber

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
And my final gripe for the day.

Since our lovely roads have been voted the worst roads for degree of camber, do you have issues with your steering?

Most camber goes uphill to the right. Since I have gotten my car. I hold my steering wheel slightly to the right. When I took it for a test drive I thought it may have been the alignment.  The service centre said they did an alignment on the car, but I still have that slight hold to the right, when there is any degree of camber. When I am on a non cambered road it drives centred. Does everyone have this problem?

Because i was told by a  retired mechanic friend of mine that the camber settings are suppose to be set so that your steering wheel is centred. Hyundai's mechanics told me that the cars always hold slightly right because of the camber. Was wondering if this is true, because it sounds like a crock and that they are too lazy to do anything about it.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I have pulled off to the left previously but don't in this car.   :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What you're being told is correct. On an even level surface the car should track straight. On a road, provision has to be made for water to run off to reduce aquaplaning, so all is not equal. The car should veer to the left, but not excessively. The steering wheel to the right position, is simply cancelling out the road camber.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Thanks phil :goodjob:

I'm use to the vw golf prior to this car. I don't have to correct the steering due to the degree of road camber. It drives straight even on cambered road. Of course not on very steep cambers but minor to moderate it doesn't had to be steered right.

Will keeping the steering wheel to the right not wear out the tyres?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Not if the car tracks straight on a level surface. If it doesn't then yes a misalignment is altering the car's tracking and that causes 1 tyre to fight the other which in turn causes excessive wear. Try a test drive on a shopping centre carpark, preferably one of the undercover cement ones, they are usually quite flat.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Yeah, I have a few non camber roads, one being 3 km long up in koorangang up in newcastle. And I've have watched it and it hasn't been off centred. So then that cancels that worry then.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:14:59 by TheReaper »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :goodjob2:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Not if the car tracks straight on a level surface. If it doesn't then yes a misalignment is altering the car's tracking and that causes 1 tyre to fight the other which in turn causes excessive wear. Try a test drive on a shopping centre carpark, preferably one of the undercover cement ones, they are usually quite flat.

Or drive on the right, so long as it is safe, then you will find you should hold to the left
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

Or drive on the right, so long as it is safe, then you will find you should hold to the left
I have done that and yes it does, lol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I have done that and yes it does, lol.

So that indicates all is ok so the slight camber is tge cause for the steer to the right
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Most new cars cancel out camber, that's one thing hyundai could work on as well as better shocks. Other than that, it's right up on top with top rated cars

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Most new cars cancel out camber, that's one thing hyundai could work on as well as better shocks. Other than that, it's right up on top with top rated cars
I'm not sure about that.
I may be wrong, but it's been my experience that the better the suspension design, the more the car will follow camber, because the design is intended to give the driver good road "feel".
If you're not getting feed back that there is camber on the road, what other things aren't feeding back to you.
Having spent many years modifyig suspensions to give better feedback for competition, I'm very happy with the feedback I get from my FD.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
So I talked to, two seperate mechanics that specialize in suspensions, alignments, etc. Kind of funny to come about meeting them. They stayed in the room next to ours at the motel this weekend. They said that the steering should stay straight regardless of the camber on the road. Yes if the camber is high like a race circuit that's different. But otherwise if you hold the wheel straight centered, the car should drive straight, even with a normal degree of camber. He said that if you have to hold the wheel at a slight angle due to camber, yet the car drives straight with no problems on non cambered roads, then the rear tow needs to be adjusted

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

I spoke to a few mechanics and they said it is all to do with the suspension system the car is using and also if it is front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. Usually the front wheel drives will NOT cancel road camber and pull to the left (my 2010 i30 is annoyingly doing so). My dad's falcon has a double wishbone (i30 we only have a lower wishbone) on the front and being a RWD is dead straight (or a very tiny pull to the left) compared to my i30. The mechanic said the most notorious are VW golfs as they have a lot of torque on the front wheels and a very aggressive setup. It is all about suspension geometry.

Nothing can be done about it. I went to Pedders and I got camber values mine are all perfect and very much same LEFT to RIGHT. if Anyone is interested I can upload here..let me know
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal