i30 Owners Club

i30 Rear Window shattered

DenisPC9 · 26 · 11137

Offline DenisPC9

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tenterfield, NSW
Morning all

The other morning I noticed what I thought was morning dew on the rear window of my i30.  On closer inspection I saw that the window was shattered.  There were no impact marks and the vehicle is parked in a sheltered area.

I did notice that all four corners of the window were equally degraded as well sections along the top and bottom of the window had signs of advanced "falling off of pieces".

I have booked the vehicle in to a Hyundai Dealer to check to see if its a Warranty fix as the vehicle was purchased in Dec09 so is still under Warranty.

The vehicle hasn't been out in extremes f temp or weather, so the only obvious cause, to my mind, is/was a flaw in the actual glass itself.

Has anyone experienced this and what was the outcome?  I wont be overly happy if it is a known issue that should be covered by Warranty and I am asked to pay for it.

Attached are pix of the LH side

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Never seen of heard of that complaint. It appears the glass is delaminating, so is definitely a faulty product. Go to your dealer ASAP & claim warranty.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee that is odd! They will probably try and say must have been caused by contact.

When you say sheltered do you mean in a garage or mostly enclosed carport?

Is there any way a stone could have been thrown up by a passing vehicle some distance away or say something falling from a tree in strong wind giving it a glancing blow? I am not doubting you, just trying to make sense of it 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline DenisPC9

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tenterfield, NSW
Sheltered, parked up close to the house with a row of Pine trees some 10+ metres away on the other side.

Nope, no stones thrown against it, as far as I know as there are no impact marks.  No branches fallen onto it as they have been trimmed on the other side of the fence.  Furthermore I would have known and seen large branch like bits and pieces on the ground near the vehicle.  None have ever fallen over my side of the "fence".

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Denis, This is probably a stupid thing to ask but windscreens not covered by your insurance by any chance.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Denis, This is probably a stupid thing to ask but windscreens not covered by your insurance by any chance.

Good point! Some insurance covers all windows (excess free) I'm with RACT and think mine does..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, if you have windscreen cover it usually covers all glass without loss of NCB.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I had an issue with a quarter panel window....
While it wasn't shattered it had developed a strange rainbow effect in the glass.
My Hyundai dealer originally blamed the window tint but I was able to prove that wasn't the case.
It was eventually replaced but I had to have the window re-tinted at my expense....

The point I'm trying to make, I guess, is that faulty window glass isn't unheard of..... :undecided:

Good luck with dealing with Hyundai....  :goodjob:

Offline DenisPC9

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tenterfield, NSW

Thanks, I will check that but go for Warranty first.

I have been doing quite a few things recently and car related activities weren't any of them, that's why it was low on my list of stuff to be done.

Offline DenisPC9

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tenterfield, NSW
I had an issue with a quarter panel window....
While it wasn't shattered it had developed a strange rainbow effect in the glass.
My Hyundai dealer originally blamed the window tint but I was able to prove that wasn't the case.
It was eventually replaced but I had to have the window re-tinted at my expense....

The point I'm trying to make, I guess, is that faulty window glass isn't unheard of..... :undecided:

Good luck with dealing with Hyundai....  :goodjob:

I think the tint layer is the only thing holding it in place.  It will be interesting taking it up to Warwick, the nearest Dealer to appraise.  I hope I don't leave a trail of Window shards behind me on the NE Highway.  Buuut, just in case I have taken photos of it and will upload that to my FTP site.  So if I get to Warwick and there's little or no evidence of the condition of what lays in a thin trail up the highway, I will request they hop on their whatevers and I will download them.

As for the Tinting, it was done by the Hyundai Dealer, so in my books, its their problem ;-)

Offline DenisPC9

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tenterfield, NSW
Yes, if you have windscreen cover it usually covers all glass without loss of NCB.

I have just checked, you are right the NCB isn't affected.  However the Excess still applies, that's why I am having a go at a Warranty fix first.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Is there a windscreen shop nearby, might be worth getting them to have a look and give their opinion before you start your trek.

Forewarned is forearmed....

I had a bathroom window shatter while I was out one day....looked over the fence and old mate had mowed his lawn.  :head_butt:

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
We had a bathroom window shatter once, but I don't think it was hit by anything.  My partner's Astina hatch had the rear windscreen broken by a fallen branch.

It will be interesting to see how Hyundai responds.   
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Good point! Some insurance covers all windows (excess free) I'm with RACT and think mine does..

Like you Dazz,I'm with QBE,we have unlimited glass cover,all Glass,No excess,many of you know Bruce has had three windscreens in three years almost now to be four,had a chip fixed 9 10 months ago and it is starting to crack again.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Same with Suncorp insurance Rick.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I'm shattered that this would happen :)
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I think the tint layer is the only thing holding it in place.  It will be interesting taking it up to Warwick, the nearest Dealer to appraise.  I hope I don't leave a trail of Window shards behind me on the NE Highway. 

Best to tape over the glass to stop it shattering completely
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline OZPACMAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Trinity Beach, Qld
About 2 years ago I had the rear window on our i30 shatter for an unknown reason.  I had parked outside a shop and came out about 20 minutes later to find the window broken.  I couldn't find any obvious impact point.  This was mid summer in far North Queensland but I don't believe that it was a heat related issue, otherwise every second vehicle up here would be popping glass.

I just coughed up for a glass replacement but always wondered if it was a defect that might have caused it.

Russ.
  • 2008 i30 CRDI 5 sp manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I can assure you guys that a stone hitting a car window, other than the windscreen will not leave any visible impact marks.
And they can travel remarkable distances when pinched out from under the tyre of a passing car.
It looks like an impact fracture to me. Well to clarify that, it looks like what I have seen in the past from impacts, Could be something as small as a marble.

Anyway, all the best with it.
Two good suggestions above.
Ask a local windscreen repairer for his opinion and use a heap of masking tape before heading up to Warwick.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline DenisPC9

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tenterfield, NSW
I saw the Warwick mob and they thought that it wouldn't be covered under Warranty.  But they are going to submit a "......" whatever it is so Hyundai can make up their minds whether it is a Warranty job or not.

In the meantime, I will be seeing a local fellow who does windscreens etc.

So I (think I) am keeping all bases covered.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good luck!  :goodjob:

From my experience, when they say they are gonna submit "whatever" to Hyundai, what they really mean is, they don't think it's something you can claim but, just to keep you happy, they send it off to Hyundai so they can knock it back and look like the baddies...  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Checked the wreckers, probably your best bet in the long run. :undecided:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline DenisPC9

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tenterfield, NSW
Good luck!  :goodjob:

From my experience, when they say they are gonna submit "whatever" to Hyundai, what they really mean is, they don't think it's something you can claim but, just to keep you happy, they send it off to Hyundai so they can knock it back and look like the baddies...  :lol:

Yep, that was my impression also.  I'm not getting too hung up on it though.  I will just plod along annoying various bodies.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Any news..?

I remember that VW had an issue with the rear Windows shattering like that, but that was because they had placed the heattreads too close to the hole where the rear wiper axle went through the window.
As a result the rear window would shatter suddenly, but only if you were using the heater for the rear window.

Not the solution for yours though, as your car was stationary.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal