i30 Owners Club

Battery dead without warning

diablo · 9 · 2591

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
As I was running out of the beers of my choice I decided a trip to Asda was called for. But bloody car wouldn't start, flat battery.

This happened before about 18 months ago but after charging it has been fine since - but without any warning has gone to zero volts, bugger.

Though last time it happened I bought a new charger (which will handle the newer types of battery) and a spare battery. I carried the new battery in the boot for months in case the old one gave out again.

The battery and charger were in the garage, which is probably good because I can't seem to actually open the boot with a flat battery.  I have just searched on here and there is a way by crawling through from inside the car, but I'd forgotten that. :)

Swapped over the battery for the new one but the positive terminal is smaller than the old one so the clamp doesn't fit. Mucked about with piece of beercan but no good, will have to find a bit of lead somewhere to fill the gap. Far too long after I bought it to return.

Why aren't they are standard bleedin' size eh??  :rolleyes:

So have abandoned trip, put old battery on charge and opened bottle of wine. :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
When you say zero volts, do you mean zero, or 10,9 8 7 etc.

If it's zero, then you have a "mouse" (not a real one), in your electrical system nibbling away at your battery current while the engine is off. The security system is on all the time waiting to sense the key being pressed, so there;s one mouse, are there any others, a faulty light switch somewhere, perhaps.

A nice wine is not a bad idea anyhow, bottoms up.  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

When you say zero volts, do you mean zero, or 10,9 8 7 etc.

If it's zero, then you have a "mouse" (not a real one), in your electrical system nibbling away at your battery current while the engine is off. The security system is on all the time waiting to sense the key being pressed, so there;s one mouse, are there any others, a faulty light switch somewhere, perhaps.

A nice wine is not a bad idea anyhow, bottoms up.  :D

Haven't measured it (and too late now) but nothing happened when I clicked my key to unlock it. Had to use the key in  the drivers door, then it wouldn't start. 

The battery in the key may be going a little flat so I thought it maight be that at first but using my spare key made no difference.

I suspect that it mat be a bad joint in the battery.

But cheers anyway. :)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

I applied a temporary fix earlier. The fitting wasn't really that loose but could flip off easily. A long thin screw has fixed this for the moment and it can't be pulled off -

Batteries used to have a fitting where a screw fitted through the connector into the lead terminal to tighten them up, I'm wondering if I drilled a small hole in the centre and put in a screw it would expand the lead enough not to need the screw. ?? :)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Seems a good fix, but all the current may be going through the screw area (it appears to spread the clamp) so you may have a hot spot  :eek:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Between the screw where it is now and drilling one into the centre of the post, I would choose the latter, with due care to do any drilling (other than by hand) in a well ventilated area.

Jamming anything between the post and clamp such as aluminium or lead should be done as cleanly as possible to avoid creating a resistive surface leading to a hot spot. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The best fix would be some strips of lead bent at the top like an inverted L shape, to stop them falling through the clamp. This will maximize contact with the terminal and clamp avoiding a possible hot spot.
You will need to ensure it remains clean as there will be 2 contact surfaces for the current to pass, not 1 as in the normal fitting.

You will not be able to expand the lead terminal by drilling, I have drilled them b4 to add a power connection in a shed application and they are quite tough to drill and very solid.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
You might want to consider new battery terminal clamps.  They're not that expensive, ranging from $5 to $20.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Battery with the correct size terminal posts is the answer as it appears his battery has Japanese posts not SAE..

http://www.puretyre.co.uk/battery-terminal-size-specification-chart-t1-t2-t4-f-t4/

Changing the cable terminal ends will not get round the peculiar set up used by Hyundai...see picture above.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal