i30 Owners Club

2016 2L SR engine - gutless and sluggish

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
"the transmission is within specification".

:wacko: Meaningless BS ! 

The Hyundai 'troubleshooter' needs to answer:
Within what specification?
What is the specified maximum and minimum pause time?
And indicate where this specification is documented.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
"the transmission is within specification".

:wacko: Meaningless BS ! 

The Hyundai 'troubleshooter' needs to answer:
Within what specification?
What is the specified maximum and minimum pause time?
And indicate where this specification is documented.
Absolutely.
It's a nothing comment. Keep asking questions.
But that statement should form the basis of any query you send to Hyundai Australia, along with a link to this topic.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
From your description, the notchy shift and crunching low gear change is a synchromesh problem. In short, to achieve a smooth shift , your 2nd gear needs to be spinning at the same rate as your 1st gear.
In general terms, this is done by employing a pair of cone shaped bronze rings that have enough 'friction' to mate and start spinning together.
If they are worn or if the wrong oil is used, the mating action is slow or non - existent.

Hey nzenigma, let me divide the problem into two parts.

1.  Gears changes cannot be done quickly. If I attempt to "flick" the gear-stick there is a wall of resistance before the next gear is engaged. The faster you move the stick the greater the resistance. Slowing down the speed of movement decreases the resistance. It's almost as if rapid movement flexes a cable or something and the gate for the next gear is not made available. By contrast the Focus could be flicked up or down a cog at any time, at high speed, without any hint of resistance. Chalk and cheese.

2. Occasional grates and snicks.  Even when changing slowly, with the clutch to the floor, a slight grate or snick can be felt through the gearstick, but not apparent to passengers. It is more common when cold and more common going from 1st to second, but it can happen any time and on any gear. Sometimes I can drive for a whole day without experiencing the problem and some days it happens 4-5 times. Once again the Focus never did this. Whenever it grated it was clearly my fault.
  • Hyundai i30 SR 2.0 GDI 2015 White

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
The Germans have been designing good gearboxes since Adam was. Hyundai's development is done in Munich.
So the question is, why aren't the Europeans bitching about the issue too.

Clutching at straws here, but is it possible that Korean made cars sold in Oz have different gear change related components to Czech made cars?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Last question first. Don't know. However, in Australia we really don't have an epidemic of crunching gears.

Your description of wall of resistance and grating fits the synchro problem. But so can a clutch that is not disengaging properly. That is why I asked about it earlier.

Really simply , the gear cogs inside the gearbox need to speed up or down so they can mesh smoothly with an output gear. The synchromesh makes this change happen. It acts a bit like a wet clutch with a thin layer of oil between the two synchro plates.  Check Wikipedia.
The teeth on cog 1 must fit into the gaps between the teeth on cog 2. Square peg round hole principle.

Like the Scotsman, you have more problems when cold.  Cold oil is thick oil.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Last question first. Don't know. However, in Australia we really don't have an epidemic of crunching gears.
Your description of wall of resistance and grating fits the synchro problem. But so can a clutch that is not disengaging properly. That is why I asked about it earlier.

I just want to make it clear that there is no audible crunching or grating of gears EVER (maybe, very infrequently, when I stuff up a change   :D ). There are occasional snicks and buzzes which can only be felt by the driver via the gear stick. If there was audible crunching I would record it and/or demonstrate it to the service guys.

The wall of resistance I describe is only evident when moving the gear stick fast and because I have a little mechanical sensitivity I move the gear stick slowly so as not to prematurely wear out or break anything.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
My answer still stands. I've been driving cars since I was 15. I don't need to hear ,  just feel. So what you describe above is not a clean shift, that I understand. It is not correct.

You need to take the BS by the horns and confront Hyundai; not me, and your own uncertainty.  Good Luck  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:24:00 by nzenigma »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think both  @dnalor50 and @Nonamesleft should contact Hyundai Australia and use the "I'm embarrassed to take passengers in my Hyundai because of the poor transmission/ gutless performance". As a representative of Hyundai Australia I would not want to hear that and be keen to rectify the issues.  :cool:

Hi Dazzler, thanks for your comment but you are overstating the transmission problem. I frequently take passengers in my Hyundai and they all remark on how smooth and quiet the car is.  They don't feel or hear the occasional snicks or grates. Someone who knows cars might say: "hey mate why do you change gears like an old woman". As I said before a Hyundai troubleshooter drove the car, with me as a passenger, and changed gears in the same slow way. His comment was that "the transmission is within specification".

My previous car was a 2006 Focus and in that car I could change gears with total abandon and it was always silky smooth. It was a noisy little car, however, with engine and road noise often drowning out conversation or the radio.

Ok, fair call. It's obvious to us what you are experiencing (well explained) Why can't the service people or Hyundai accept that and try and rectify it. "Within specifications" is only one step away from "whatever"  :head_knock:

My answer still stands. I've been driving cars since I was 15. I don't need to hear ,  just feel. So what you describe above is not a clean shift, that I understand. It is not correct.

You need to take the BS by the horns and confront Hyundai; not me, and your own uncertainty.  Good Luck  :)

..and definitely worth the modest cost of changing the gearbox oil and adding Nulon as Gary suggested earlier...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hello all gearbox problem havers and problem solvers.
I have an auto,  so does the manual have a cable or is it a linkage?
At work we have 6sp man Ford Transit mini buses, when cold  you've got to change slowly and give a little extra for the last bit. You can feel a snick or two  or 3 when it engages, never makes a noise - but you feel it.
If you change like most of us do, pressure on gear lever then use clutch and are in next gear when pedal hits the floor,  you will need to clutch again to go in next gear.
My 4wd is direct (lever on top of box) and it snicks all day, every day  for the last 150,000 km, you feel it , can't hear it.
Try to find another one for sale and go for a test drive to compare .
You've got to be vocal but calm with the  dealer , ask for proof of standards from them, then approach Hyundai Australia in person with your car and the  standards given.
Not an easy task,  but only you can stand up for yourself.  Keep us posted.
Bec nonamesleft, how are you going,  any suprise visits yet?

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal