i30 Owners Club

2016 2L SR engine - gutless and sluggish

Offline Nonamesleft

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hey @mickd
Been super busy moving house etc so the i30 has taken a back seat atm however now I've noticed the clutch pedal squeaking every time I press it,  kinda like it needs some wd40 or something. Im going to go back down there again, not calling first this time im just going to rock up because its a brand new car with just over 9k kms on it so this is absoloute bullsh*t imo and if its doing this at less than 10k kms whats it going to be like in a few years....
If they fob me off ill be going to hyundai australia and i will direct them to this thread
  • 2016 i30 SR Premium, Manual, Sparkling Metal 😎

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Sounds like a plan,  take the service manager for a run over Razorback and see how he would feel about  paying 30k for something so sad.
Premium - I don't think so.
Keep us posted  :goodjob2:

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hey @mickd
 I've noticed the clutch pedal squeaking every time I press it,  kinda like it needs some wd40 or something.

My clutch pedal squeaked intermittently for the first 10000km or so, but it seems to have fixed itself. The SR just had its 15000km service . I keep forgetting to mention the squeak to the service dept as I am more concerned with the notchy and slow gear-change.
  • Hyundai i30 SR 2.0 GDI 2015 White

Offline Nonamesleft

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
What did they say to you about the gearbox @dnalor50
  • 2016 i30 SR Premium, Manual, Sparkling Metal 😎

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

No joy with the gearbox. I'm sure the service guys know the gear-change is not as good as it should be, but they stonewall me with " it's operating within specs, sir". The dealership agreed to let me drive a loaner manual, but it's been nearly one year and I'm still waiting. With the prevalence of automatics I think many people have forgotten what a good manual gear change feels like. As I mentioned in another thread it I can only blame myself for not insisting on test driving an SR manual before laying down cash.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Sorry to read no improvement!!
Just thought for the gear box this might help, i have some in my Toyota 4x4 truck and it seems to shift smoother than before. i change gear box oil then added some of this, but you would not need to change you GB oil just take filler cap off and squeeze some through the hole, can't hurt. :link: Manual Gearbox and Diff Treatment - Nulon Products Australia

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Been using Nulon products for ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm since 1980.   :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

No joy with the gearbox. I'm sure the service guys know the gear-change is not as good as it should be, but they stonewall me with " it's operating within specs, sir". The dealership agreed to let me drive a loaner manual, but it's been nearly one year and I'm still waiting. With the prevalence of automatics I think many people have forgotten what a good manual gear change feels like. As I mentioned in another thread it I can only blame myself for not insisting on test driving an SR manual before laying down cash.

Mate, I quoted a motoring critic a few pages back, who wrote a positive review. Why don't you contact him, as an owner, and ask him to justify his claims?  :crazy1:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Sorry to read no improvement!!
Just thought for the gear box this might help, i have some in my Toyota 4x4 truck and it seems to shift smoother than before. i change gear box oil then added some of this, but you would not need to change you GB oil just take filler cap off and squeeze some through the hole, can't hurt. :link: Manual Gearbox and Diff Treatment - Nulon Products Australia

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try some Nulon as I'm getting desperate. I won't tell the service guys in case it voids the warranty ! 

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Nulon is bloody good Aussie stuff.   :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Mate, I quoted a motoring critic a few pages back, who wrote a positive review. Why don't you contact him, as an owner, and ask him to justify his claims?  :crazy1:

Hey nzenigma, I did write to one motor writer about the problem (Paul Gover)and was advised that he drove a manual SR with "no drama". Paul suggested I get back to him after I have driven another manual SR and as I said before, I am still waiting  for Hyundai to organize this :(

Also very few motor writers put their goolies on the line when reviewing a current model car. The truth generally comes out well after the new model is released or in the used car reviews, years after production has stopped.

I know that my gear-change is below par and if I can't get the local service guys to acknowledge the problem I don't think I'll have any joy with the critic you quoted, but thanks for your good comments in this thread.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've actually been keeping my eye on local stocks but haven't seen a manual SR for ages.. That's the problem with smaller regional areas. They tend to only stock the popular sellers. I would love to try an Elantra SR Turbo (Manual or Auto) but they seem to only have Auto non turbo models in stock too.  :fum:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mate good on you.
 And thumbs up to Paul Gover for putting his head up above the sandbags.  :goodjob2:
 Interesting that he says there were no issues. Given that he has given Hyundai a positive review, which they rely upon, it is reasonable to use this information to kick some Hyundai butt.

I agree with your general view of  motor writers. Ive already had a rant about this.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I drove a manual Elantra about 18 months ago.
it changed gears exactly the same as my FD. It also has as much power as my FD. In other words,  both gear selection and avaalable power up hills were fine.
In fact I didn't pursue a purchase, simply because it felt similar to what I had so I accepted I would be paying just for a newer car and different look.
However, it was a bloody nice car and I could pick no fault wit it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the suggestion. I might try some Nulon as I'm getting desperate. I won't tell the service guys in case it voids the warranty !

I won't tell the service guys in case They Avoid the warranty Again !  :whistler:  :)

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I've actually been keeping my eye on local stocks but haven't seen a manual SR for ages..

I just realized that my wife and I are the only people in our circle of friends who drive manuals. Given the shrinking market for manual transmissions I imagine Hyundai are putting all their engineering efforts into  technologies like DCTs, hydrids, EVs etc. Perhaps they should stop offering manual gearboxes if they are not going to engineer them properly. With the benefit of hindsight I would have brought a  DCT model instead of the slow motion snick box I have now.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I've actually been keeping my eye on local stocks but haven't seen a manual SR for ages..

I just realized that my wife and I are the only people in our circle of friends who drive manuals. Given the shrinking market for manual transmissions I imagine Hyundai are putting all their engineering efforts into  technologies like DCTs, hydrids, EVs etc. Perhaps they should stop offering manual gearboxes if they are not going to engineer them properly. With the benefit of hindsight I would have brought a  DCT model instead of the slow motion snick box I have now.

very true, but a manual trans will normally last longer and is much easier to rebuild , as long as there are parts.
i'll stick to manual as i like shifting gear.
also if i had an SR and enough time on my hands i could pull gear box 7 work out how to improve the sift just takes time.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have had a few manual cars over the years..to me, they are always more entertaining to drive than an automatic.

I have a Getz and a diesel i30...both manuals. They both need to have gears changed in a certain way to get the best from them. If a stranger drove them I reckon that they would get the odd graunch or two out of them.

I am certainly not complaining about manual Hy gearboxes...but I have driven manual cars (that were MUCH older) that had MUCH smoother gearboxes than either of my Hyundais.

I agree with you dnalor50, when you said that Hyundai don't seem to be making the best manual gearbox that they could.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The crazy thing is they can make a great manual box. The MY11 i30 CW my wife had for 4 years had the best (smooth and quick) change I have ever experienced (and I've driven countless manual cars over the last 40 years including some big $ ones)

Her current 2014 tourer Manual Trans is nearly as good. I've driven it to Hobart 3 time in the last 2 years (600kms return) and never once had it baulk or crunch. My life wouldn't have been worth living if I did that to SWMBO car... :sweating: :crazy1:

Edit: Just saw Paolo's comment. Our 2006 Getz box was pretty good, but our 2008 Diesel i30 was a bit notchy into reverse and 1st to 2nd ...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There's nothing wrong with my manual box, 1st to 2nd is a little slow but it's still a great box and changes up/down without issues.

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
There's nothing wrong with my manual box, 1st to 2nd is a little slow but it's still a great box and changes up/down without issues.

CraigB I think it's a contradiction to say a gear-box is great when 1st to 2nd is slow. This is one gear change that needs to be fast as this is near the peak of acceleration when taking off from lights. I overcome the slow change by watching the lights closely and and letting 1st rev out a bit as I know the other cars will draw level (or fly past) when I do the mandated slow and ponderous 1st to 2nd change. Once the car is nearing the speed limit acceleration has leveled off and the slow ponderous gear changes no longer matter so much.

As I've said before the other time when the slow changes are annoying are hilly areas when gear changes need to be fast to avoid losing momentum.

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
if i had an SR and enough time on my hands i could pull gear box 7 work out how to improve the shift just takes time.

If you ever work it out let me know and I'll be at your place kicking the door  :D

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :) Interesting how various people assess their manual boxes.

Frankly, the first time I drove my FD diesel manual I was  hooked. And I was in 1st then 2nd gear!
The car was about equal to an MX5 that also owned.

I sold it to an equally enthusiastic chap who had a Nissan 360Z. We did a test drive over a local mountain, very fast, very exciting and not at all 'notchy!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

CraigB I think it's a contradiction to say a gear-box is great when 1st to 2nd is slow.
Well I should be more specific I suppose, it's not slow as such but a little slower to change due to the syncro pattern between 1st and 2nd, all gears are still quick and I have nothing to complain about.

If you think yours is a problem then it'd be best to mention it to Hyundai, something to look at is the weighted gear leaver on the bell housing as it comes very close to the water hoses for the throttle body and can come in contact if not adjusted correctly which will interfere with gear changes.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think both  @dnalor50 and @Nonamesleft should contact Hyundai Australia and use the "I'm embarrassed to take passengers in my Hyundai because of the poor transmission/ gutless performance". As a representative of Hyundai Australia I would not want to hear that and be keen to rectify the issues.  :cool: 

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
... use the "I'm embarrassed to take passengers in my Hyundai because of the poor transmission/ gutless performance"...

.. and even more embarrassed to discuss this with potential i30 owners on the only website that matters.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I feel your pain; BUT you are bit off the mark;
 Hyundai has a potentially huge market because the Europeans tend to drive manual cars, NOT autos, also a lot more diesels than we do.. The only time my Euro relatives drive an automatic is when they come to Oz and get a rental.

From your description, the notchy shift and crunching low gear change is a synchromesh problem. In short, to achieve a smooth shift , your 2nd gear needs to be spinning at the same rate as your 1st gear.
In general terms, this is done by employing a pair of cone shaped bronze rings that have enough 'friction' to mate and start spinning together.
If they are worn or if the wrong oil is used, the mating action is slow or non - existent.

The Germans have been designing good gearboxes since Adam was. Hyundai's development is done in Munich.

So the question is, why aren't the Europeans bitching about the issue too.

I found the following which is a bit of a ramble by a Scottsman .  He has dodgy 1st -2nd syncro  especially when it is cold and snowing. I guess that means most of the year. ;)
 But he says he has driven other i30s and they are ok. :link: Gearbox Issues Since January Collection

Similarly, an Oz woman: "My first and second in my 2010 i30 2.0L Petrol are a bit grindy.
The gears do synch enough to get in without much trouble, but its a bit like the gearbox is made out of freaking lego in these gears. The rest is pretty smooth except for some vibration in 3rd.
Just to qualify, I've driven two other i30's of the same transmission and engine, both were buttery smooth in comparison."  :link: i30 grindy 1st and 2nd gears - Hyundai - Automotive

Neither of these complaints or the various good-bad comments on this forum would suggest that Hyundai cannot design a good gearbox.

@dnalor50, if I had your car, the first thing I would do is drain the gearbox and refill with a very light weight synthetic oil. And Nulon.

Offline dnalor50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I think both  @dnalor50 and @Nonamesleft should contact Hyundai Australia and use the "I'm embarrassed to take passengers in my Hyundai because of the poor transmission/ gutless performance". As a representative of Hyundai Australia I would not want to hear that and be keen to rectify the issues.  :cool:

Hi Dazzler, thanks for your comment but you are overstating the transmission problem. I frequently take passengers in my Hyundai and they all remark on how smooth and quiet the car is.  They don't feel or hear the occasional snicks or grates. Someone who knows cars might say: "hey mate why do you change gears like an old woman". As I said before a Hyundai troubleshooter drove the car, with me as a passenger, and changed gears in the same slow way. His comment was that "the transmission is within specification".

My previous car was a 2006 Focus and in that car I could change gears with total abandon and it was always silky smooth. It was a noisy little car, however, with engine and road noise often drowning out conversation or the radio.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal