i30 Owners Club

[IX35] 1.6 GDI engine rattle - HPFP??

Franek · 13 · 9453

Offline Franek

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zapresic
Hi!
I have recently started to notice strange sound/rattle from my 1.6 GDI engine.
I know that GDI engines are louder because of High Pressure Fuel Pump and Injectors and those sounds are regular-rhythmic sound that are supposed to come from the engine.
But this sound from my engine is irregular/non rhythmic… like something is loose and vibrating….. and ready to break at one point in time (for sure after warranty ends:)

Sound comes only when engine is cold and outside is somewhat cold too.
Sound comes only when idling and not when accelerating… or at least I cannot hear it when accelerating.

for video pls google:
 youtu.be/l4_fsfDXj9s

Rattle starts at 48sec after RPMs drop.
Seems like its coming from High Pressure Fuel Pump - 1:32min, 2:55min

I don't know exactly what HPFP components are, but from my local forum I've got a hint that sound might be coming from the loose spring of the internal pressure relief valve. I think relief valve is  made of the membrane and the spring. 

Car is under warranty and I am planning to go to the dealership soon, but would like to be prepared and to know what this might be about.

So my question is does this diagnose with internal pressure relief valve in HPFP sound correct, or it might be something else?

Also, can HPFP be repaired or it has to be replaced?

Thanks!!

:link: Hyundai ix35 1.6 GDI engine rattle - YouTube

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 21:13:32 by Franek »
  • 2015 FD Hyundai ix35/Tucson, 1.6 GDI, manual, white

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Well that does not sound healthy. I would go to the dealership asap. Good thing you got it on the video. You can show that to the mechanic when you leave the car there.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum:  :whsaid:

Would be nice if you had your location in your profile.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline phiber

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
Well a similar problem on my engine (will post tomorrow). From what I've read on the interwebs it could be the hydraulic lifters/tappets (croatian, hidropodizači ventila) or it could be the oil pump slowly failing and not pumping enough oil. Some guy had the same problem and opened up his engine, checked everything and in the end the problem was with the idler component which destroyed itself in the end (car had 74k km).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well a similar problem on my engine (will post tomorrow). From what I've read on the interwebs it could be the hydraulic lifters/tappets (croatian, hidropodizači ventila) or it could be the oil pump slowly failing and not pumping enough oil. Some guy had the same problem and opened up his engine, checked everything and in the end the problem was with the idler component which destroyed itself in the end (car had 74k km).

Interesting you are both in Croatia! Do you have an ix35 or an i30 (without looking at your previous posts I assume an i30?)

Offline phiber

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia

Interesting you are both in Croatia! Do you have an ix35 or an i30 (without looking at your previous posts I assume an i30?)

I have an i30 1.6HP 2009 Gasoline. The HP stands for 85kW I guess. It used to feel like a 90kW. I've recorded my video of the engine noise and will be updating it shortly. It's not as loud as a week ago when there were lower temperatures...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have an i30 1.6HP 2009 Gasoline. The HP stands for 85kW I guess. It used to feel like a 90kW. I've recorded my video of the engine noise and will be updating it shortly. It's not as loud as a week ago when there were lower temperatures...
Oh ok, thanks. So a different engine. The GDi would have quite a few differences I imagine. A much newer design...

Offline phiber

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia

Oh ok, thanks. So a different engine. The GDi would have quite a few differences I imagine. A much newer design...

That hurts my feelings.

Higher compression and CVVT.
:link: Hyundai Gamma engine - Wikipedia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That hurts my feelings.

Higher compression and CVVT.
:link: Hyundai Gamma engine - Wikipedia

Sorry, wasn't meant to. I believe the 1.6 GDi won some awards when it was 1st introduced.

I was under the impression it was a different engine, not a minor modification of an existing one.

Thanks for the link (very interesting) :goodjob:

I was thinking a shared fault would be unlikely but maybe not!

My Wife has the 1.6 GDi engine in her 2014 Tourer!  :sweating:

Offline Franek

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zapresic

Problem solved....
High pressure fuel pump replaced under warranty and strange sound is gone:)

Other than that, car runs perfect. Its my second ix35 1.6gdi and currently has 20000km.
My first one has 140000km (bought in 2011) and still runs without any issues... my father in law drives it.
I've bought second one because I was so satisfied with the first one.
Engine is great..it has enough power and doesnt consume much (:link: Gasoline consumption: Hyundai - ix35 - 1.6 GDI - Spritmonitor.de) and it so refined.
  • 2015 FD Hyundai ix35/Tucson, 1.6 GDI, manual, white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Problem solved....
High pressure fuel pump replaced under warranty and strange sound is gone:)

Other than that, car runs perfect. Its my second ix35 1.6gdi and currently has 20000km.
My first one has 140000km (bought in 2011) and still runs without any issues... my father in law drives it.
I've bought second one because I was so satisfied with the first one.
Engine is great..it has enough power and doesnt consume much (:link: Gasoline consumption: Hyundai - ix35 - 1.6 GDI - Spritmonitor.de) and it so refined.

Great to hear. My wife is amazed on how far she can drive on A$20 of fuel in her 1.6 GDi Tourer...  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
... My wife is amazed on how far she can drive on A$20 of fuel in her 1.6 GDi Tourer...  :goodjob:
All the way across the Tasmanian continent I hear. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

... My wife is amazed on how far she can drive on A$20 of fuel in her 1.6 GDi Tourer...  :goodjob:
All the way across the Tasmanian continent I hear. :whistler:

Don't be cheeky!  :evil:  :TutTut: (not quite)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal