i30 Owners Club

Check engine light 2018 Hyundai i30

Offline Rachelann99

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I’ve been having a few issues lately with my i30. First being my engine would randomly stall but when it started back up it was fine. As it was an intermittent fault, it wouldn’t come up on the scanner. Finally replaced the crankshaft sensor and that fixed the issue.

Fast forward a month to today, I was driving to work and my check engine light came on. There was no difference to performance so I drove to work and then drove home (2 hours round trip). When I got home, I turned the car off and then on again. The car felt shaky for around a minute and the engine light remained on?

The spark plugs have only just been replaced as well (roughly 2 months ago). I do have a mechanic coming to look later
  • 2018 Hyundai i30

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I’ve been having a few issues lately with my i30. First being my engine would randomly stall but when it started back up it was fine. As it was an intermittent fault, it wouldn’t come up on the scanner. Finally replaced the crankshaft sensor and that fixed the issue.

Fast forward a month to today, I was driving to work and my check engine light came on. There was no difference to performance so I drove to work and then drove home (2 hours round trip). When I got home, I turned the car off and then on again. The car felt shaky for around a minute and the engine light remained on?

The spark plugs have only just been replaced as well (roughly 2 months ago). I do have a mechanic coming to look later

So, a month ago your car had a stall problem but a scanner could not detect a fault.  Today, your car's Check Engine Light (CEL) came on but you did not put a scanner on it and instead you drove around for two hours?  I am not being a smartie when I say I would not do that on my car even if I couldn't detect any drop in performance...too many bad/expensive/inconvenient things could just happen in a heartbeat.  Are you in any roadside assistance plan (Hyundai, NRMA) etc?  Anyways...

You said, when at home you turned the engine off and on and the car felt shaky for a minute.  Did the shakiness stop after that minute, or did you have to turn the engine off?  Anyways...

Hopefully your visiting mechanic can identify the issue.  Please let the forum know the outcome.  I hope it is not expensive.

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Rachelann99

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Yes, the car was stalling a month ago. After trying a different things and reading through these forums, our last guess was the crankshaft sensor, so we replaced that and lo and behold that was the issue. Since then the car has been fine, so stalling and no drop in performance.

Then today on my way to work the engine light came on. I was already half way to work and the engine light was not flashing nor was their any difference in performance so I made the decision to drive the remaining way to work and then contacted my mechanic to come out in the afternoon to look at my car.

When I started the car, it felt slightly shaky for less than a minute, then was fine. Obviously if I had a scan tool, I would put it on the car but I don’t which is why I have to wait for my mechanic to do it.

I am stumped as to what may cause the engine light because like I said, there’s been no difference in performance, everything’s been running fine, just had a massive service when they replaced the spark plugs a couple months ago so I’m stumped.
  • 2018 Hyundai i30

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

So, a month ago your car had a stall problem but a scanner could not detect a fault.  Today, your car's Check Engine Light (CEL) came on but you did not put a scanner on it and instead you drove around for two hours?  I am not being a smartie when I say I would not do that on my car even if I couldn't detect any drop in performance...too many bad/expensive/inconvenient things could just happen in a heartbeat.  Are you in any roadside assistance plan (Hyundai, NRMA) etc?  Anyways...

You said, when at home you turned the engine off and on and the car felt shaky for a minute.  Did the shakiness stop after that minute, or did you have to turn the engine off?  Anyways...

Hopefully your visiting mechanic can identify the issue.  Please let the forum know the outcome.  I hope it is not expensive.

@ Rachelann99.  Has the problem been identified and fixed?
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Griffy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, ACT
I am stumped as to what may cause the engine light because like I said, there’s been no difference in performance, everything’s been running fine, just had a massive service when they replaced the spark plugs a couple months ago so I’m stumped.

I had my spark plugs replaced earlier this year by Hyundai and one of them gave out a few months later causing a CEL and extremely rough ride with only 3 cylinders. Could be a faulty plug even if it's "brand new".
  • 2017 i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I had exactly the same as Griffy.  Dealer replace spark plugs and a few months later one went bad.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal