i30 Owners Club

Automatic Transmission 4th Gear Issue

Offline ridecycling

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
We have a 2 liter Auto, has 3,500 kms on the clock.

My question is this:
In normal city driving, the car seems to get to 4th gear rather quick.  It feels like the car is bogging down a bit in the 4th gear. 

It feels as though the car should stay in 3rd a bit longer and maybe hold 3rd a bit more in slower city driving 25-40 KPH.

It will kick down into 3rd in slow moving traffic, but only if you give it a fair bit of pedal. 

Is this normal?
Are there settings to change this?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the wife's cw did the same thing when it was new. i got the wife to change gear manually for a week or so and it learnt how the wife dives. from there on its been normal.  :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
I have a 2ltr petrol auto cw with 2600 km on it and haven't experianced any problems like that in slow speeds ... however I do find the kick down or drop back to 3rd very responsive even at 80 kph which I like. at 30 to 55 kph it sits happily in 4th if I'm gentle on the peddle.

One way I do drive which may help and is similar to what 2i30s suggested ... If I'm coming up to a tight bend or stop sign I'll manualy drop it back to 3rd or even 2nd to save on breaking and the same going down a steep hill.  :)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it helps teach the auto your driving style.  :razz:

Offline pjay

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Parafield Gardens
I have the same problem with my auto i30 2010 my11. when I reach 50kph it goes into top gear and then starts to labour the engine because the engine revs read 1400rpm in top gear this is to low. it shouldn't change to top until the speedo reaches 60kph. I have done some research and found out that most I30 autos have this problem. Hyundai Korea will not do a software update on the gearbox so its best you complain about it to hyundai like I have. The more people that do the better.

Regards Paul.   (pjay)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the wife's cw did the same thing when it was new. i got the wife to change gear manually for a week or so and it learnt how the wife dives. from there on its been normal.  :goodjob:
did you try the above?  :winker:

alinsslx
I have driven many cars and used many cars for business purposes, but the I30 has the worst designed gear box.
It is designed to keep the revs as low as possible for economy, giving the worst performnce I ever felt in a auto car.
I'm always shifting to a lower gear manually.

Offline Torquey

• 2nd Gear
  • Sydney AU

• au Australia
      Sydney

• CW SLX CRDi
I have also noticed this in my CRDi but it has enough torque to cope.

However I recall the verbal sales person spin say that the gear box learns & adjusts to your driving style. So I guess if you are gentle on the throttle the gearbox will behave conservatively. Whereas if you are a bit trigger happy the gearbox should liven up and hold lower gears for longer. I think that has been my experience but will be more observant and experiment a bit.

alinsslx
Hi Torquei,

I'am considering swapping my petrol for a CRDI, I hope is has way better torque than the petrol, or else I'll sell the Hyundai and get a Corolla or Pulsar for training. Business to me ain't no joke, I need a good car.
I should have driven that auto more before deciding.
The Corolla I test drove in 2009 had more guts than the Hyundai, but in the end Hyundai had more features and a better price.
I see it pays to go for the performance then the rest.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hi Torquei,

I'am considering swapping my petrol for a CRDI, I hope is has way better torque than the petrol, or else I'll sell the Hyundai and get a Corolla or Pulsar for training. Business to me ain't no joke, I need a good car.
The Corolla I test drove in 2009 had more guts than the Hyundai, but in the end Hyundai had more features and a better price.
  :blubber: :disapp:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Interesting that this should come up!!!

Last week I took our CW Auto to the dealer and went for a test run....reason was that I was concerned about the way the engine laboured a little when running at 1500rpm and doing 70kph. In our car this seems to be point at which this is most prominent,especially on a slight incline.
If it was a manual  car, one would be reaching for the stick and changing down a gear!!

In order to get it to "kick down", one has to really tramp on the throttle.

The service mechanic said that some few years back, the Elantra had that problem at 60KPH, which was very annoying in city traffic, so Hyundai changed the gearbox settings to make that point move from 60 to 70KPH. This proves 1 thing....that they do listen...if there are enough complaints etc....so the advice in the thread is correct... query the situation and back it with a written complaint.

The idea that we can maybe influence the "memory" of the gearbox, by changing gear manually is interesting and worth a shot.... I certainly will do that and report back.

Cheers

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i was told to do just that with my wife's cw,change gear manually to teach it to shift normally. i must have posted this over a dozen times without anyone getting back to my posts about wether they tried it or not. it worked in the wife's car so why wouldn't it work in everyone Else's cars. the mechanic at my dealership said to do it because we complained about the trans changing to early and not kicking down gears quick enough. its a computerised trans so therefore its one you can teach,so to speak. it needs to learn your driving style.  :goodjob:

alinsslx
Hey 2i30s,

I'll try more of that see how it works.
However I'm looking forward for a CRDI :):):)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hey 2i30s,

I'll try more of that see how it works.
However I'm looking forward for a CRDI :):):)
when i upgrade to a newer car, I'm going for the diesel next time around.  :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Torquei,

I drove a Corolla, a Lancer and an Impreza in 2009 before I bought the i30. The i30 had by far the best performance and into the bargain, it out handled the Corolla and Lancer noticeably. The Impreza was slightly better but had less grunt. Never regretted my choice. Even my wife who is on her third Corolla in 15 years has given it the thumbs up of late.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hi Torquei,

I drove a Corolla, a Lancer and an Impreza in 2009 before I bought the i30. The i30 had by far the best performance and into the bargain, it out handled the Corolla and Lancer noticeably. The Impreza was slightly better but had less grunt. Never regretted my choice. Even my wife who is on her third Corolla in 15 years has given it the thumbs up of late.
is your car a manual or auto Trev?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Buhahahaha :lol:

Maybe Trev could put his spec in his sig :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Buhahahaha :lol:

Maybe Trev could put his spec in his sig :P
i looked,but not good enough.  :-[  damn beers!  :wacko: :lol: :lol:

alinsslx
Gotta say the I30 has been a great all rounder compared to most of the cars.
Looking on the bright side, it is well built, looks great, lots of features and for not a bad price compared to the others.
I had this 50 year old lady at the lights the other day driving a red auto CRDI (I believe by the smoothness of the drive). So I was curious how will the petrol compare to the crdi. There was a slight hill in front, traffic. Not sure if she was lead footed :) or it was the torque of that thing but she quickly put some distance between myself and her. I used 2500RPM as I normally do when taking off.
Thumbs up for the CRDI and the torque  :goodjob:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Thanks 2i30's for the tip....I had not seen it on the forum before...maybe as I am just aware of it now, I was not looking.... but we will "re train" ours and see what happens.     :goodjob:

Re the specs and details I was looking for, ....appreciate the in put thus far...I am using Palmer Performance "Dash Commander"....so just trying to get it set up as best as possible..

I have better internet now ...so will do some research myself....

Cheers
 Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Interesting that this should come up!!!

Last week I took our CW Auto to the dealer and went for a test run....reason was that I was concerned about the way the engine laboured a little when running at 1500rpm and doing 70kph. In our car this seems to be point at which this is most prominent,especially on a slight incline.

Many of the owners in my place noticed this situation, too. Some people just replied: use your foot !
Now I'll tell them to try 2i30s tip and see!
Btw, comparing with 2nd gear ratio, 3rd gear ratio is much similar to the 4th.  Is it the reason to this issue ?

Offline Kimba

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, QLD, AUS

• Townsville, AUSTRALIA
i mut have posted this over a dozen times without anyone getting back to my posts about wether they tried it or not.

I've actually tried it except I was just doing a long road trip (with lot's of over taking).  Now my i30 is a little gun at traffic lights.  I try not to be too much of a lead foot though because of fuel prices and general wear and tear on the car.  But I seriously think all those time I put my foot down to over take has helped my little i30 find its mojo again.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Alasama,

Do you or anyone else actually have the ratios for each of  the Auto gears????

I approached Hyundai last week and they would not disclose those details to me!!!

Anyone have an "in" with their "friendly dealer "?    :p

Keen to know the ratios if possible....all I have now is the final drive ratio.

Cheers
 Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The 2.0L petrol autobox has been the biggest let down for us.
I have tried the manual shift to retrain it... even got under the car a few times in the garage and used loud, naughty words... with finder pointing.

It has made a slight difference when I gas it up alittle, but when just driving normally in traffic, it still wants to shift into 4th and lug along at 1,500rpm.

I have just started using 3rd and shifting manually to 4th when the road flattens out, or when at 70kphish.
My service is due very soon, so I will be barking about it then.
  • 2.0 Petrol Hatch - Brisbane

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
My CRDi does the same thing but it has buckets of torque to cope and will kick back without fuss .

I think you will find that the Hyundai torque converter is the lock-up type and it appears to do this in 3rd and 4th gears . But like I said this is no problem for the diesel but I am surprised the petrol model has the same tune up as I would imagine it works very hard @1500rpm

You can see if the converter has locked by gently lifting off and on the accelerator, if it's locked the revs wont rise and fall without a change in speed. That flaring of revs is the fluid connection at work, so no rpm flare = locked up converter.

All they need to do reprogramme the lock up speed if possable

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Alasama,

Do you or anyone else actually have the ratios for each of  the Auto gears????

I approached Hyundai last week and they would not disclose those details to me!!!

Anyone have an "in" with their "friendly dealer "?    :p

Keen to know the ratios if possible....all I have now is the final drive ratio.

Cheers
 Elle B

I thought & saw gear ratio in the specification of brochure.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Great Work Russ!!   :goodjob:

Forum comes to the rescue again   :)

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

alinsslx
I'm constantly changing to 3rd prior to hills, overtaking or slip lanes.
My 2L petrol WILL be turbocharged, once out of warranty, I don't care if it blows the gear box. :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal