i30 Owners Club

Moaning noise at cold start

tohis · 10 · 3280

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Has anyone else had this moaning noise at cold start (when less than 10°C outside)? It changes directly with RPM so it isn't the turbo. Depressing the clutch doesn't affect it so it shouldn't be the gearbox either. The sound goes away when idling after warming up, but I can still hear it very faintly when accelerating over 3000 rpm at 1st gear. I think it has been occurring since new. I mentioned about it at my first annual service at Monday, but of course they didn't hear it and are reluctant to investigate it further. Now I recorded this video where you can hear the sound:

i30_crdi_startup_noise.mkv

• 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Sounds alot like a pulley bearing.you could remove the belt(s) and start it and see if noise is still there.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Sounds alot like a pulley bearing.you could remove the belt(s) and start it and see if noise is still there.

Yes didn't sound right to me on first start up,but my experience with pulley bearing noise is it only gets worse when warm,but a good suggestion,to either confirm or eliminate that theory.

Mind you I'd be freakin moaning to if it gets below 10C,to bloody cold for this little black duck.  :lol:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I apologise in advance for this bit of levity......

When I read the title of the thread I thought it referred to the noise from the passenger seat first thing in the morning now that autumn has arrived.

Ok....I'll put me coat on................. :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Here's an another recording, where I placed the camera under the car:
i30_crdi_startup_noise_2.mp3

After listening it few more times, I think it's coming from the left side of the engine instead of those pulleys at the right side. Could it be the clutch thrust bearing, despite that the sound does not change by depressing the clutch?  :question: Anyway, I will visit at the dealer shortly and show those recordings to the service manager, to proof there really is some unwanted sound in the car instead of in my head.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Soon as I heard this, it sounded to me like an over-tightened belt?

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
By listening it sounds like as the engine decelerates, the noise vanishes for a bit, i.e. the noise is only there when load is applied to the engine.

Could it maybe be the diesel pump?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
I was booked in for this issue, without much success (surprise!). The mechanic did hear the sound, but didn't locate what makes it. I was told that cars tend to have many kind of sounds and there's nothing wrong with it. They also removed the auxiliary belt and started the engine without it, and the noise was still there.

I'm not happy about them denying a potential problem just because they can't locate it, but I can't locate it either so I can only wait until something possibly gets broken.  :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I was booked in for this issue, without much success (surprise!). The mechanic did hear the sound, but didn't locate what makes it. I was told that cars tend to have many kind of sounds and there's nothing wrong with it. They also removed the auxiliary belt and started the engine without it, and the noise was still there.

I'm not happy about them denying a potential problem just because they can't locate it, but I can't locate it either so I can only wait until something possibly gets broken.  :disapp:
At least they have a record of the issue :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
What about rivets touching on the clutch plate cover - could that be a possibility when cold?

There is a TSB to replace the cover on some models (I don't know which) but I think the problem manifested itself differently, so I'm only tossing this one in the pile.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal