i30 Owners Club

Fitting in dash reversing camera/audio system to 2011 i30

mjt57 · 4 · 2195

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
As I type an auto electrician is wiring up my Jeep for our new caravan. I asked him if it's possible to installed an in-dash reversing camera system into the i30.

He hasn't done i30s before but he is familiar with a brand called "Orion" which slots into the dash for radio and other features inc. reversing camera.

He'll quote me for the job and if Orion sells a suitable product.

But in the meantime if anyone here has done this project I'd like to hear from you (and photos too, please).

There are cheap kits available for reversing cameras but they are typically your "sit on the dash or windscreen" setups with cables running everywhere. If I can get one that's built in and which replaces the rather ancient looking dash display, so much the better.

Thanks
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We used to rent out Orion TV's a few years ago at Radio Rentals. Back then they were a bit of a cheap and nasty brand. Might be worth googling for some research on forums and such re:reliability.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
You could replace your head unit with something with a screen. Most will have an option to connect a reversing camera.

Or you could install a rear view mirror reversing camera, which is what I have done. You can see it here

:link: Rearview mirror reversing camera installed

I much prefer this option, as you can also view the rear view mirror at the same time you are watching the screen. It's nice and discrete with just a wire running up into the roof trim.

I have since changed the reversing camera to a much more discrete keyhole camera that sits in the middle of my black number plate so you can't even tell it's there. 
  • Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
mjt57, You could always give the car kit company a call :link: Double-Din Multifunction Systems | The Car Kit Company

They'll tell you over the phone if it can be done plus they come to you to install and they also do OEM style reversing mirrors as I've mentioned in your other topic previously.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal