i30 Owners Club

How to add DRLs to the Australian version of the 2012 model Hyundai i30?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Don't expect any help from Hyundai, if they didn't manufacture and fit the lights, they won't want to know. If you can't do the job yourself, go to an auto electrician and get them fitted properly.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
When I fitted my l.e.d. DRL's with a relay I think it cost me £15 and took about 3 hours taking it easy with 2 cups of tea... They are perfectly legal in where they are sited and functionality... It can be easy to over egg / over think this stuff in my humble opinion.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi guys,

Another update: just found out that I'm supposed to connect the red wire to the ignition. There's nothing wrong with the control unit itself, it's just that I don't want the DRLs to switch on with the ignition, I want them to switch on with the engine, as they should. So, I guess the next step is to find the right type of control unit. I'm determined to make this working --- resorting to a Hyundai dealer would be and act of defeat! ;-) To be continued...

Cheers,

Marty 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@marty,

Switching on with the ignition is switching on with the engine, it's essentially the same thing. As they are LED's, they do not present any significant load on the battery during engine cranking.  :neutral:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
@marty,

Switching on with the ignition is switching on with the engine, it's essentially the same thing. As they are LED's, they do not present any significant load on the battery during engine cranking.  :neutral:

:goodjob2: Absolutely!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
In the old-model i30, the B/UP fuse in the engine-bay fuse box would receive power when the ignition was in the ON position.  This may still be the case for the newer i30.  If you have access to the electrical schematic for the new i30 I could check for you.

To make the DRLs legal in OZ, you will also need to turn off (or dim) the DRLs when the head lights are on. 

My MY2011 has a fuse position marked DRL in the fusebox on the end of the dash so presumably there was some wiring already in place before the MY2012 car with DRLs appeared.
There are previous threads on adapting the engine bay fog lamp relay  to provide a DRL supply which switches on with the ignition and off when the h/ls are turned on which  I have carried out successfully using the original fog lamps as DRLs.  The only minor drawback being that  using the headlamp flasher causes the DRLs to go off.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Aren't all heavy electrical loads  disconnected during engine cranking with the key in the start position?

Do the factory fit DRLs come on when the key  is turned to the first - accessory - position or only when the engine is running?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Do the factory fit DRLs come on when the key  is turned to the first - accessory - position or only when the engine is running?

Not sure if they all disconnect on cranking, probably just robbed of current due to starter motor load.

DRL's should not be on with the ACC position, or they would glow while listening to music while parked, not what you want.

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Okay guys, mission accomplished! Here's a how-to:

Installing DRLs on the Australian version of a 2012 Hyundai i30 in just 17 simple steps...

What do you need?

1 x Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness Auto Car Control On/Off Switch 12v. Available on eBay. Price: AU $17.99

2 x OEM LED Fog Lights Positioning Lights 1EA (left and right). Available on eBay. Price: 2 x AU $87.76 = AU $175.52

2 x OEM Fog Lights Cover (left and right). Available on eBay. Price: 2 x AU $18.58 = AU $37.16

1 x Automotive electric wire, approximately 2 metres. Available from Supercheap Auto and the like. Price: approximately AU $10.00

1 x Wire Tap Mini Blade Fuse 10A. Available on eBay. Price: AU $6.92

And further:
Screw drivers
Soldering iron
Soldering-wire
Heat shrink tube
One-click cable connector
Cable ties
Insulation tape
Double adhesive tape
Courage
Patience

What do you have to do?

Step 1:
Make sure you have everything you need.

Step 2:
The OEM LED Fog Lights Positioning Lights 1EA come with wiring, connectors, and a plug. Connector 1 is for the fog light, connector 2 is for the LED. The wiring bounds them together and you're supposed to use the plug to connect the whole thing with the power supply of your car. However, the plug doesn't fit the Australian model. So, cut out connector 2 and forget about connector 1 (you can throw it away).

Step 3:
Cut the automotive electric wire in two parts of approximately one meter both. Use your solder skills to connect each part to connectors 2. Before you start soldering, you should slide a few centimetres of heat shrink tube over the wire. Once the wire and the connector have become one, slide the heat shrink tube over the blank piece of wire, heat it above a tea light or with your soldering iron, and you're done.

Step 4:
The Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness has two sets of red/black wires. Continue to use your solder skills, now to connect the other end of the automotive electric wire discussed in step 2 to the two sets of red/black wires of the Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness. Remember about the heat shrink, and don't confuse red and black or you will eventually run into trouble. Note that the Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness also has a third red/black wire: the red is to be connected to the ignition of your car, the black to a ground pole (don't worry about that now). Furthermore, the harness has one white wire and two yellow wires. Forget about the yellow wires --- they are only relevant for cars in the US which have side-markers. You can cut them off. However, you should retain the white wire!

Step 5:
Remove the front bumper of your car, not just loosen it. In addition to the steps outlined in the user manual which tell you how to loosen the bumper, in order to remove it you should remove 2 x two plastic screws on the bottom of the bumper, both on the left and the right side (so, four in total). Make sure you've but something soft laying on the floor under the bumper (I used a picnic blanket) to avoid damage. You don't need to use much force to remove the bumper. It's almost like LEGO, really. Carefully keep the screw (use a sandwich bag or something). You should leave the screws on the bottom of the bumper on the front. By doing so, the bumper doesn't come of entirely, but it opens like a door. This approach makes it a lot easier to re-attach it later on. Put a piece of polystyrene foam or something like that under the bumper to support it and avoid fore-mentioned screws from breaking. 

Step 6:
Now that you've removed the front bumper, you've got easy access to the existing fog light units. Remove them using a screw driver. Then, remove the existing fog light covers (one screw each, followed by a few clicks). It's really easy (LEGO again).

Step 7:
Install the new fog light covers. Then, install your new OEM LED Fog Lights Positioning Lights.

Step 8:
Connect the wiring set you've created under step 4 with the DRL part of your new OEM LED Fog Lights Positioning Lights. Connect the existing wiring set with the fog lights of your new OEM LED Fog Lights Positioning Lights (it's self-explanatory). 

Step 9:
Use double adhesive tape to mount the Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness to the body of your car. The best place is probably next to the fuse box.

Step 10:
Connect the black wire of the Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness to a ground pole. There are several around the battery.

Step 11:
Make a small hole in the lid of the fuse box. Stick the wire of the Wire Tap Mini Blade Fuse 10A through the hole.

Step 11:
One more time you've to use your solder skills: connect the red wire of the Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness to the wire of the Wire Tap Mini Blade Fuse 10A.

Step 12:
Plug the Wire Tap Mini Blade Fuse 10A into the hole of the 10A spare fuse (if you don't know which one I mean, just have a look at schedule on the inside of the lid of the fuse box.

Step 13:
Close the lid of the fuse box.

Step 14:
Use a one-click cable connector to connect the white wire of the Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness to the orange wire of the plug which is connected with the headlight assembly. The orange wire is for the parking lights/sidelights. As soon as they switch on, the Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness will automatically switch off the power supply to the OEM LED Fog Lights Positioning Lights 1EA. It's very important to have this working, as it's illegal to have your DRLs and headlights on at the same time. Also, DRLs will blind oncoming traffic at dark.

Step 15:
Tidy the cables with cable ties and insulation tape.

Step 16:
Reattach the bumper. Be gentle and don't use too much force. It may help to loosen the headlight assembly a bit, and fasten it after you've reattached the bumper.

Step 17:
Start your engine. If you've followed all the above steps, your DRLs should work as if they were always there. Switch on your headlights. If you've followed all the above steps, your DRLs should automatically switch off…

DISCLAIMER: I'm just an amateur, so don't hold me responsible if your car catches fire… ;-)

Cheers,

Marty   

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:14:33 by martybrisbania »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :brilliant: post Marty (well done)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great Job Marty (looks good)  :goodjob:

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks! For some reason I have the impression they are not as bright as they should be (no idea what the problem could be, maybe the universal control unit), but as you said, they look good so I think it's time to officially declare this project 'done'.
 :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Success! This will be my next mod!
But in the meantime, Ive purchased LED fog lamp bulbs to get rid of that yellow light (not exactly sure how good these will be), LED park lights, and a set of 6000k HID bulbs and ballasts.

I'm not sure how good they'll all work but for AU$44 for the lot delivered, I'm not complaining!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190614644068?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_6135wt_966

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280708428380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_4374wt_1156

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300692542784?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_4871wt_1156

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Success! This will be my next mod!
But in the meantime, Ive purchased LED fog lamp bulbs to get rid of that yellow light (not exactly sure how good these will be)

Have you got the correct LED bulb for the fog lamp?  Up to MY2011 it is an 881 but I don't know what MY2012 uses. According to comparison lists the H8 and 881 are different fittings.

I fitted 13LED 881 bulbs to my DRL converted fog lamps but the output is poor.  I then fitted super white filament bulbs and these are bright white and do the job perfectly. However they are rated at 300 hours a common factor with high output bulbs.

BTW if anyone wants a voltage sensing relay that operates when the engine is running  these are used for towbar wiring in the U.K.  and usually cost around £10.

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Hi Guys,

Whilst waiting for my DRL/Fog assemblys to arrive, I've been taking particular notice of cars with DRLs driving when dark.
Knowing that Oz ADRs state that DRLs must turn off when headlights are on, it appears that a number of manufacturers are overlooking this ruling.

Have seen: Audi, MercB & Holden all with DRLs & headlights on over the past few days.

Maybe just wire straight onto ignition & call them parking lights?
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

You can't drive with parking lights only either. The name says it all, it's to illuminate parked vehicles, not to be used like the large number of idiots do over here in W.A., as running/head/take-your-pick lights.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Guys,

Whilst waiting for my DRL/Fog assemblys to arrive, I've been taking particular notice of cars with DRLs driving when dark.
Knowing that Oz ADRs state that DRLs must turn off when headlights are on, it appears that a number of manufacturers are overlooking this ruling.

Have seen: Audi, MercB & Holden all with DRLs & headlights on over the past few days.

You'll notice if you look carefully that with headlights on, the intensity of the DRLs reduces to parking light intensity. So in fact they do not contravene regulations.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

You can't drive with parking lights only either. The name says it all, it's to illuminate parked vehicles, not to be used like the large number of idiots do over here in W.A., as running/head/take-your-pick lights.

Actually there's no law saying you can't.... :winker:

The only time it's gonna be illegal is if you drive at night with only the parking lights on.
You may have noticed that parking lights are on when your headlights are on? This is so other road users can still see your vehicle if you happen to have a headlight bulb fail.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Hate it when you are right rustynutz  :P

I checked the road traffic act of W.A. and the simplified driver guide book too. They removed it, I am certain it used to be there many years ago. My aussie licence was issued in '92 and it was one of the questions in the theory exam I had to take.

Oh well...
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
My aussie licence was issued in '92 and it was one of the questions in the theory exam I had to take.

Oh well...

Did you get it wrong back then too?  :winker:

Sorry Hati, just teasing.....  :whistler:

I've had my licence 30 something years and don't recall it ever being illegal over here in Vic.... :undecided:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I'm strictly talking W.A. only. I am hoping someone else may remember this too.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Hi all, first post here, new member. I've just put a deposit on a new i30 elite diesel manual in black, will pick it up early next week.

Had a good ready through this and seems martybrisbania has done a pretty good DIY guide, and I'm going to do this mod (already ordered lights) because I believe being visible in day time is especially important with a black car. I have 2 questions;

1. How did you find the quality of the relay harness? Is anyone aware of any other options which may suit the i30 better, or go with the one martybrisbania has suggested? I'm not afraid of a bit of soldering, just wondering.

2. I notice you've used a 10A fuse for DRL set up, just wondering why you chose 10A, did you calculate the running current, or was that provided with relay?

Thanks for the great write up, should be very helpful.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Alex .. Nice model you have chosen I would get the same in White if we got another i30.. :goodjob:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Welcome Alex .. Nice model you have chosen I would get the same in White if we got another i30.. :goodjob:

Thanks, I'll be sure to put up a photo once the DRLs are fitted.

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
I have a parcel at the post office, might give this a go tomorrow if I find the time, if not, friday.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal