i30 Owners Club

Service Interval and cost

bdennis · 125 · 96026

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Can someone pls give me an indication of service interval and price for both the Petrol and Diesel i30?

From what I have read / assumptions I think the Diesel is 7,500km and the Petrol is 15,000km.

Any info re the interval and price of the service would be appreciated.

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
I can only speak for the i30 diesel which requires a first service at 1,000km, which should be free from your dealer and then every 7,500km after that.

The cost is a very different subject. Shop around amongst certified dealers. I brought my i30 from a dealer who has quoted me $210.00 for the next service at 7,500km. I asked a another dealer located less than 20km away and they have quoted me $150.00.

No prize for guessing where the service will be carried out. My location is revealed in the Introduce Yourself thread.

Offline LowEmissionI30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi bdennis,

I just checked my documentation (from Hyundai, I drive the i30 1.6 CRDi) and the normal service interval (scheduled maintenance) is 15,000km or 12 months after the initial free 1,000km service.  They also specify an "Optional Safeguard Intermediate Service" (or 6 months) if the car is driven under demanding (severe) driving conditions. Such conditions include towing, repeat short distance driving, very cold conditions and so on.  According to my documentation the same applies to the petrol version.

I have not had a service yet and have not checked prices either so I can't help you there.

Offline LowEmissionI30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Sorry my previous post failed to say that the optional (severe driving conditions) service is every 7,500km.

Offline OMVanders

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      McLaren Vale

• McLaren Vale, South Australia Black CRDi I30 SX
As I understand it the standard service interval - to meet warranty requiremets - is every 12 months or 15,000km on the CRDi.
You only need to have the 6 monthly or 7,500km service if you're driving under 'demanding' or high usage conditions as defined in the service manual.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
This is amazing, thanks guys and serves me right for not reading the book. I was left in no doubt that I needed to service my diesel every 7,500 which I found a bit surprising. Clearly there are dealers and then again there are wheelers and dealers.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In UK for 1.6 crdi my service book states 12 months or 10,000 miles.
I got hold of an i30 service schedule and the following is an extract:

"On the i30 diesel engine vehicles the service interval has been extended to 12,500 miles/ one year.

On the i30 petrol engine vehicles the first service is carried out at 10,000 miles / one year and then the interval moves to 12,500 miles/ yearly.

In all i30 models it is necessary to fill the engine with oil that meets a higher specification than that installed on previous Hyundai models. Should the engine not be installed with oil to this specification, then the service interval is reduced to 10,000 miles/ one year for both derivatives.

Failure to adhere to this revised policy will affect the warranty of the engine".
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
We had looked at this before on H-F site so searched and found this posting.

It is courtesy of Turbo1600 (Don't think he is registersed for this site)

For CRDi -

Engine oil/filter change at 15,000km intervals

Air filter at 45,000km intervals

Chain driven, no timing belt change required

Drive belts 120,000km

Fuel filter at 30,000km intervals

Coolant 1st @100,000km followed by 40,000km intervals

Brake/clucth fluid 30,000km intervals

Climate control filter 15,000km intervals

Manual trans fluid 100,000km

Auto 40,000km intervals

Obviously under more stressful conditions, service intervals will be shortened.

For UK members, all 2.5 - -excluding me!!, I have obtained a sample service schedule. PM me and I'll send copy to you as it has figures in PROPER units - MILES - so saves converting.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi M8

Thanks for that...

Sent Turbo1600 a formal invitation a while back...

He said he couldn't be bothered at the moment but thanks anyway  :lol:

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Thanks for the info on the Diesel. Anyone got stats on the Petrol?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hey All, not sure if this is related to this topic , but here goes. last week i called into a Hyundai dealers service and spare parts, i went to the spares and asked to buy an oil filter. it was complex to say the least! the guy came back after i asked to buy an oil filter for a i30 diesael, he wanted to know the build date then wanted to know the car's rego # after i gave that info, he tell's me i did not buy the car there, i told him if thats all he wanted to know i could have saved him a lot of trouble :D  then after all that question and answer he tell's me none in stock but can order. the price i was quoted was $25.
so after that experience i think what i'll do is order all the service parts needed for the 15,000K service as no telling were i'll be when it is due and if a large city dealer has not got a simple oil filter in stock what chance would i have in the bush at a small dealer. this is how i see it just thought i would mention, i thought Hyundai would make sure all dealers kept stock of all service parts?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:lol: That's nearly as funny as my Service Manager not knowing if we've got a CPF or not! I'll go to the parts department on way to see him 2moro to buy a filter let you know how I go and what price they charge.... bit like a lottery isn't it!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
LOL :D  thank's Dazz, but you can look at it two way's, one way you can look at it is eather this dealer or Hyundai want to know a lot, or you could look at it another way, it would be a good thing they ask a lot of questions if you had your car stolen would not be so easy for thieves .

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
OK I did some checking of my own..
It appears that the Hyundai service interval for a i30 Diesel is the same as a Petrol.. (being 15,000km service) - per the hand book
They only recommend a 7,500 service if the car is used for towing etc.

Then I checked with a dealer re the service cost.
They basically say that the diesel is around $70 more per service due to oil and filter costs.
He also said that he would recommend the 7,500km service interval on the diesel.
So if the Petrol does not do a 7,500km service and the diesel does then thats approx $300 more per year in service costs assuming that we would do 15,000km per year.

Given the fuel usage between and Petrol and a Diesel is only 1.6l /100km (Per the sales blurb) and at todays prices of fuel being $1.55 for Petrol and $1.80 for diesel. Thats a diff of around $147 over 15,000km. When you add the cost of the servicing.. The diesel works out to be expensive to run year on year plus the purchase price premium of $2,500 (approx).

At this point I am seriously considering changing to a Petrol i30 over the diesel.  :cry:

Dont get me wrong the troque of the 1.6 CRDi is fantastic. I am yet to drive the Petrol and am expecting to be slightly disapointed.. But for to cost of the diesel the extra kick in the pants is just not worth it..

At least I would think I will get the Petrol car delivered much quicker than the Diesl that is not even built yet and eta is start of August.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
M8  they will always rip you off at a dealer and they use low qualified people to do the work in most cases. in most cases i would say find a good tech to do the 7,500 and just go to dealer for the 15,000. i have a petrol that i have done 206,000k and i always change oil at 5,000k and i'll continue to do so petrol or diesel but will go to dealer for 15,000k rip off. if i don't like the i30 diesel i'll just sell it and keep diving my ute as with the cost of i30 petrol i can buy plenty of fuel :D
cheers

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
lakes,
I agree with you re the dealer servicing.
When you have a look at the servicing costs over 100,000km and if you only do the Diesl every 15,000km they are fairly close at the 90,000km service on a Petrol needs a timing belt and that is $780 for that service.

The main issue is the extra charge for the diesel engine and the cost of fuel. No matter what way you cut it, the diesel just does not stack up.. Unless you want / need the kick in the pants from the torquie engine...

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
I got censored when last I tried to comment on this one. So proceeding with less facts and more innuendo I can promise that certain dealers are blatantly ripping diesel owners off. Hyundai have told me that the diesel needs a service every 1,500km.

They refused to comment on why the servicing charge varies between dealers from $110.00 to $210.00. Also lets not forget that the diesel is producing considerably less CO2 per km than the petrol.

Offline matjazek

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia
I have performed first service at 20.000 km (1.6. CRDi) which was prescribed in service book.
They change me the engine oil - 4 l of Shell Helix Plus 10w/40 and oil filter.
I have payed 103 €.

M.

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
OK here is an update.
Assuming that one goes for 15,000km service on the CRDi. The comparo over 90,000km works out to be about $80 in the Petrol favour. This is due to the timing belt change at 90,000km on the Petrol. This enables the Diesel to catch up..

So, I have made my decision. I am sticking with the CRDi Auto i30 as ordered in the first place..
While it may cost a little more I think it is a better bet in the long run and I hope / pray that the disparity in the price of Diesel to Petrol comes back to evens soon... :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

matjazek ,

That's interesting the diesel is supposed to need 5.3 ltrs?

b-D

Glad you're staying with the diesel (they're not selling better than 3 to 1 against the petrol for nothing)

Also expect even if Diesel stays 20 / 30cents dearer than petrol that the resale on the diesel will be a bit higher than the petrol...

According to redbook... at the moment a 2007 i30 diesel SLX is worth $1700-$1800 more than an equivalent Petrol model, difference is likely to reduce over time...

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Daz,
Yes I agree re the resale..
I figured this..
Given the purchase price is $2500 more for a Diesel. Depending on price of fuel and driving they say to recoup the cost you need to own for 6-10 years. So if we assume that on resale we recover at least $1200 more than a Petrol, then you only need to have owned it for 1/2 of the aformentioned time. So in theory you break even (realisticly) at 3-5 years..

Hows that for fuzzy logic???...  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Glad you're laughing again...The little diesel just seems to have character and that feel good factor which I've only found a couple of times before in 25 cars owned and lots more I've driven.

And.. I do a lot of research (usually) before buying a car.... ;)

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Daz,
I tend to agree.. I do heaps of research and have owned some grunty cars in the past.. XB GT, XW GT Phase 1, BA XR6 Turbo..  :D
So I know what ya mean..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't know if the i30 is in quite that league (grunt wise) but it's a bit of a quirky car (almost like something french..) and it is really very satisfying cruising on the highway with six cylinder response and three cylinder economy.... :D

ouri30
Just got the account for the 15 000k service on ouri30 CRDi.

Here is a summary:
Labour ........... $111.60
Oil .................. $84.10
Oil Filter ........... $17.35
Other .............. $15.36

GST ................ $22.84

Total .............. $251.25

Bob

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Daz, Yes I also agree. Not in the same league but they all have something "different" about them.
Thats why I prefer the torque of the i30 Diesel..
Never owned a Diesel before so this will be a first..

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
For the record..
Here are the prices I was quoted
i30 Service....Dealer........15,000km.....30,000km.....45,000.....60,000.....75,000.....90,000.......Total
Petrol...........Essendon....$217.00.......$365.00
Diesel...........Essendon....$300.00.......$420.00
Petrol...........Melton........$200.00.......$267.00.......$254.00...$347.00...$200.00....$738.00.....$2,006.00    
Diesel...........Melton........$234.00.......$420.00.......$233.00...$420.00...$233.00....$552.00.....$2,092.00

Internmediate service 7,500km
Petrol $150.00
Diesel $210.00

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Got my (very good) oil for the intermediate service - Castrol Edge Sport 5 W30 for under $64 for 6 litres and got a genuine filter coming for $20.35. My Friendly local service centre will change my oil and filter and do the usual interim service stuff for somewhere between $30 and $50 labour (cash) I imagine. That makes for a fairly reasonable $115-$135.

Will probably "lash out" and get the 15,000 service done at the dealer if their quote is realistic..They offer state wide 24hour roadside assistance until your next service if you use them (think that is pretty good)

As a comparison use Castrol Magnatec or Genuine Nissan oil in wife's Tiida only costs around $28 on special, filter under $20 so get out of services around $100 usually (my friends at the Service centre look after me very well...)

ouri30
Spoke to Service Manager today about Service Intervals.

He had already noted that we are doing way above the normal km that most owners do.  Provided we continue to do the km we are doing, he suggested we only have ouri30 serviced every 15 000km.  As a rule of they they suggest 6 month service or 7 500km which ever occurs first.  If the user dows the 15 000km before the 6 months, and the conditions are not adverse, then the service intervals they suggest are 15 000km.  I happy with this.

Also asked him about the oil they are using during oil changes.  It is a Valvoline Synpower fully synthetic oil.  There are two type, one for a common rail turbo engine and the other for a common rail turbo with particulate filter.  He said the i30 CRDi does not have a particulate filter, but the Santa Fe CRDi does.  The Santa Fe CRDi is the only Hyundai they have sold that has the particulate filter.  Interesting?

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Got my 7500 service done yesterday by my friendly independent and by buying own oil & filter and paying cash for the labour cost me close to half what a dealer service would have been..

At the moment Supercheap are selling Castrol Edge Sport 5W30 for $39.95 for 5 litres which is a $13 saving. It is a good oil and should not cause any issues with Aussie i30 (Diesel or Petrol)

So I grabbed one for next time... 8-)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal